Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Custom generated PayPal Button

Originally posted by navaldesign View Post
    David, you are correct. But this is NOT intended for a downloadable product payment. Usually downloadable products have a fixed description and price. It is intended for a customized service payment, where the return page is simply a thank you page.

However, you are correct, and i shall place the correct warning in my initial post.

Thanks.

You know my opinion on paid for downloads: no links, no risk. The thank you page (in my opinion) MUST have a payment verification script.
    Fair enough, but im wondering what the code-lines would be then for a single item download so there's no messing around with amount, just "yes I want to download that file"

Comment

I am not sure what you mean here. if you only want one item, at a fixed price, just create the correct PayPal button and add it in your sales page. The comment David had done, is that since you are using NON encrypted button code, this trick should NOT be used for downloadable products.

There are a few ways to have protection for your download link. The best, in my opinion, is to have a script that will check the payment, with PayPal, and if the payment is ok, it will display the download link ( attention: NOT the file name, just the link). Otherwise it will display an appropriate error messaGE.

I do have a script that allowes excactly this task: it is called IDC (Instant Download Cart) but it is a pro script and as such it is not free. If you are interested, you can contact me through my form.
      Navaldesign
      Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
      Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
      DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
      Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

I've been playing around with paypal buttons resently. and I founded very simple solution.
        1. log in to your paypal account
        2. select merchant tab
        3. you'll see a dozen of options for buttons/carts/customizations
        4. make selections and paypal will automatically generate html code for you
        5. copy and then paste it on your web page

Comment

Hi,

this is not to disappoint you, but this is not the subject of this thread. Creating the button code in the PayPal site is something well known to most users. It can also be done directly in BV. The question here is HOW the user will be able to modify the button properties (subcription and amount) directly on your webpage, when different services / prices are required.
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

sorry, my bad. I guess I missunderstood the point.
            sorry again

Comment

How safe is it to use Not encrypted buttons.
              Because here we are directly providing Merchant e-mail. If any one modifies the merchant email(business).
              Then amount will be transferred to others email instead of our account.
              Is there any other way to have textbox to provide custom amount by using Encrypted button(without providing Merchant e-mail).

Thanks,
              Sandeep M.

Comment

You can always create buttons in PayPal site.

However, the only risk you have is that your email address gets "caught" by spam bots so you will be receiving spam mails.

There is no way a payment can be diverted from your account to another one, with buttons that are on YOUR website, even if they are not encrypted, unless they reproduce your own website and fraud customers by making them think that they are purchasing from you whilst, instead, they are purchasing (and paying) from a fraudelent website.
                Navaldesign

Comment

Thanks for this very helpful article.I read another article (http://www.softcoded.com/paypal/paypal_php.php) where the payment.php page is invisible to the customer and submits itself automatically with javascript when it loads. The Paypal "Buy Now" button is on the first page (the "Generate" button in your example website). The customer is directed straight to Paypal via the invisible, automatic payment.php page, which sends the necessary information using the hidden input fields.Would this method be safe, do you think, for a website selling downloadable products?

Comment

Generally speaking selling downloadable products requires a "protection" script.
                    Navaldesign

Comment

In your script above, you have,

<input type="hidden" name="return" value="http://www.yoursite.com/returnpage.php">

If I change this to

<input type="hidden" name="return"
                      value = "http://www.yoursite.com/returnpage.php?status=TRUE">
                      <input type="hidden" name="cancel_return" value = "http://www.yoursite.com/returnpage.php?status=FALSE">

do you think this would be a satisfactory protection script to verify whether payment has been made or not?

Comment

No. The status is visible in the button code so where knows a bit more than the average user, will be able to reproduce it by simply typing it in the browser address bar.Please note that if you create encrypted buttons in PayPal's site, the return page is not visible. This might give you a minimum of security. However, the download itself is not secured, meaning that if anyone finds the download link and posts it on some interner hacker blog, everyone will be able to download your e-products.

You would need to use a protection script that works with PayPal's IPN and protects the download by actually checking is a user is authorized to download.
                        Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                        X