X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tips on forum design & creation.

Aliens,
    I go to cpanel, click on FTP manager, then when it opens I see this

With the FTP account utility you can control FTP accounts for your users or if your account has sub-domain support you can add FTP accounts for your sub-domain(s).

Here you can change how anonymous FTP users should be treated and change the anonymous upload policy as well.

You can edit the anonymous FTP welcome message that users will see when they login to your FTP site.
    This utility allows you to disconnect users or time out FTP sessions.

What am I doing wrong?
    PS My phpbb was installed thru fantastico if that has any bearing on this.

Comment

On your desk top click start, then all programs look for BlueVoda Website Builder on mouseover you will get three options click the blueFTP.

Comment

Aliens, Okay, I got that to work, thank you, but when I click on the forum folder, nothing named Templates comes up. Any solutions for me?

Comment

Did you open the folder on the right of your ftp the folder should be in there if not your forum would not work or you opened the wrong folder.

Comment

I open the folder, and it just says UP DIR. All the way on the left, there is a tempaltes option. If I click that templates I dont see anything related to my forum. Just alot of BV elements for my website pages.

Comment

Originally posted by nish1959
              I open the folder, and it just says UP DIR. All the way on the left, there is a tempaltes option. If I click that templates I dont see anything related to my forum. Just alot of BV elements for my website pages.

Open BlueVoda. On the top toolbar, select Tools > FTP Manager. Enter the same username and password you use to access your Cpanel and the IP address you were given in your Welcome email from VodaHost.

Once the FTP Manager is open and connected, you'll two lists of files and folders. The ones on the left are in the BV directory on your pc. The ones on the right are on the web server. Somewhere in the list of folders on the right is a folder marked "Forum". Double click that and you'll see a list of all the folders in your forum directory. You're looking for the Templates directory as seen in this pic. Click here

Open the folder named Subsilver. Now you're looking for the file called overall_header.tpl. In most instances, you would need to edit this file to get a link to your main site onto your forum pages. No offense, but you have no business editing any files in there - you're having a tough enough time with the basics. (Not that I'm criticizing, everyone has to learn about all this stuff, I just don't want to see you mess up your board.)

With that in mind, I went ahead and did the edits for you. So, what you need to do is download and unzip this file: http://www.daysofblunder.com/overall_header.zip

Unzip it to a place you can easily find again on your pc and then, using the FTP Manager, navigate on the left side of the manager until you locate the file on your pc. Once you've found it, click it ONCE and then, at the top of the manager, click Copy To. It will move into your forum directory and overwrite your old file.
              My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Racefan, thanks I'll try it.

Comment

You old know it all Race he he

Comment

Race, I think I just managed to screw up my files in ftp.
                    I'm sorry. I may have to switch to a company with phone support. This isn't fair to you guys.
                    Thanks for trying. But my ftp never had a templates folder on the right side.

Comment

Email me with your Cpanel username and password and I'll have a look for you. racefan20n11******.com
                      My NASCAR Forum

Comment

WOW..this is cool...gave me a headache, sure, now you got me itching to make my forum more inviting, geezz..
                        http://www.beebrothers.org

Success is not a doorway. It is a staircase.

Comment

it can be very infectious, we have lots of tips, mod info, does and don'ts at the The Showcase.

Comment

ok, glad I found this thread . . . think it will be VERY helpful. Get ready, guys, cause I'm headed into phpbb in the next few days! LOL

Be VERY afraid!

Comment

hi there
                              Well I got the forum and i managed to change the apperance well the colors at least then it came to changing the logo instead of there logo... well i am not sure what i am doing i have read everything and still i come to a great big impossible wall.... maybe i am more stupid than i thought i was but normally i can work things out but this time i have really come to a stand still. i dont want anything fancy just my logo at the top. and a return to home page button.
                              HELP!!!!! sorry i know that you have written everything so wonderfully but stupid me cant understand it. I chnaged the colors in the edit just put different hex codes but i still need to modify a little bit more. foe example the blue bars i need in a different color. and the logo
                              i have been trying to do it for the past week and am about to throw the computer and myself out of the window..
                              please help
                              thanks
                              James

Comment

Racefan is Awsome..if it was not for his help i would have the keyboard embedded in my forehead from bashing my head against the desk..now i have gotten to where i can change the colors of my forum added my logo to the main logo that came with the theme ..my only issue now is getting into the wiki....but for those of you wanting to learn xhtml and css which go hand in hand I would recommend going here http://www.newbiesparadise.com/ but if your looking for forum templates there is http://www.phpbbhacks.com/ and http://www.templatesbrowser.com/phpb...ndex.php?s=394 .....these will help you get started

Comment

Working...
                                X