This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to make a Favicon.ico and display it the browser address bar

HAHAHA well sourced Chris, I use a similar service to create favicons from photos but it was one of my little design secrets ;) I use DynamicDrive for a lot of their CSS tutorials, they have some good ideas.

Happy to share though :)

http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/

This service will also give you an animated favicon with scrolling text but, it cant actually be used as a favicon because it is a .GIF not a .ICO however, it is still useful for creating little links in forum signatures etc

FPRULES

Comment

Converting a jpg to ico to make favicon

The do-it-youself website was interesting but I am not very artitistic. I would like to take a simple line drawing of a bicycle in jpg format and convert to ico format.

Once done, then all I would have to do is upload that to public_html and put the code in the head section of the pages I want to use it in. Right?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx, -K

Comment

well I'll be darned, I guess this would answer my question about this favicon error that I have a million of and just always ignored, okay, I am going to do this, but what if you cannot draw, can I use my wolverine image somehow? And when I click on yours Rob or elctronics man I am not seeing it in the address bar?

Hmmm.... where should I be looking?

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

I anyone wants to make a little wolverine in favicon for me, I'll take it and use it .....

just like what is in my eye ..... lol

:)

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Re: Converting a jpg to ico to make favicon

Originally posted by kenhansen
            The do-it-youself website was interesting but I am not very artitistic. I would like to take a simple line drawing of a bicycle in jpg format and convert to ico format.

Once done, then all I would have to do is upload that to public_html and put the code in the head section of the pages I want to use it in. Right?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanx, -K
            Yes, kenhansen,

You can go to the website that FPRob suggested above, http://www.html-kit.com/favicon/, you can upload your pic and it will convert it to a favicon. This is where I did mine. And it will automatically give you the script and zip file right after you upload, and they also do an animated one for you.
            Belinda B.
            BB Destination Express

Comment

Bear in mind that a lot of us using IE6, for some reason cannot see favicons. No problem in Firefox.
              Bill
              www.blueearthtea.com
              www.ftaaconsulting.com
              www.iaval.com
              www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Bill is correct.. I would bet a years salary that those of you who cannot view favicons are using IE.

FPRULES

Comment

try this very easy http://www.chami.com/html-kit/services/favicon/
                  FOLLOW ME, I’M LOST TOO

www.bannerclickmania.com

Comment

Originally posted by FPRob
                    Any luck Chris? I feel like a bit of an ass for writing such an in depth tip and getting something as simple as the URL wrong at the same time but... Hopefully you got it working.

Everybody, for advice on favicons (and due to my confusing mistake above), feel free to email me and I will set everything clear.
                    Thanks Rob, and I just want to report that I now am the proud owner of a cool wolverine claw as my favicon, thanks to Rob, :) I have it working on my desktop icon, in my web addy and in my favorites and I use internet explorer ....

can anyone else see it ....

www.halifaxwolverinesjra.com

P.S.

May the "Claw Be With You"

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks FPRob and all others for your useful explanations about the above issue.
                      I made an icon,uploaded it at the index.html page,added the code above between <head> tags with the right address and published it.Then added my page to favourites and refreshed the browser.
                      The favicon was not displayed at IE7 I am using.I could see the icon when typed the address at firefox though.
                      But,I want the icon to be displayed at every browser.Is there any other way of doing this? Please help!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony07
                        ...I want the icon to be displayed at every browser.Is there any other way of doing this? Please help!
                        Not really, each user may have a different setup. I can see most in FF but not in IE6.

Post your web site URL so we take a look.
                        Bill
                        www.blueearthtea.com
                        www.ftaaconsulting.com
                        www.iaval.com
                        www.theemeraldbay.com

Comment

Originally posted by bill2006
                          Not really, each user may have a different setup. I can see most in FF but not in IE6.

Post your web site URL so we take a look.
                          Thanks for your reply!
                          My URL address: www.kftirana.info. For now I am using IE7(latest)
                          Regards-Tony

Comment

Its a pity!
                            I needed help from someone and my question dont seem to be answered as yet,since displayed nearly 2 weeks ago...
                            Vodahost customer support instead were wery fast and useful (as they have ALWAYS been) answering my question(s).
                            Then what is this forum for?

Comment

Tony, please review the posts with this thread. It appears that it has been explained. It WILL NOT work with Internet Explorer version 6, but does work with version 7. I also see that it works with Firefox and Opera.
                              Here are some instructions that I have:
                              What is a Favicon.ico

A Favicon is a tiny little image that displays in your browser address bar (and everybody else will see it too) when your site loads into the browser.. Like this....

How to make a Favicon.ico

First you need to make you Icon, you can draw one for free by clicking the following link, then enter your email address and it will be sent to you. http://www.favicon.co.uk/

How to display a Favicon.ico

First, copy the file that has been sent you (called favicon.ico) into exactly the same place as your index.html page.

Then, edit the HTML on your
                              index.html page and the HEAD of the page. The HEAD of the page is located at the top. It starts with this.....
                              Code:
                              <head>
                              and it ends with this

Code:
                              </head>
                              When you have located that part of the page enter the following line of code, it must be located in the HEAD of the page.

Code:
                              <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.yourwebsiteaddress.com/favicon.ico">
                              You are almost done. Publish the index page AND the favicon.ico file and hey presto, a neat little address bar for your site.

Please note:

Internet Explorer is not good at displaying favicons. The is just a Microsoft thing that cannot be avoided although it will display when it feels like it. All other browsers will work perfectly.

__I hope this solves your problem. You will need to dothis for every page if you want it to apprear on all. You will also need an HTML editor to make this change. (ie MS Frontpage)________________

Good Luck,

-Ken

Comment

Thanks for your reply Ken!I indeed appreciate your gesture of answering my question.

Finally I solved this problem at the following way:
                                I was inserting the appropriate code "between <head> tags" not at "start of the page".Since I rectified that,the icon displays in there clearly.

Thanks and have a very nice day!

Comment

Working...
                                X