This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to make a Favicon.ico and display it the browser address bar

Glad I was able to help Tony. I know the feeling when you have a problem and don't get your answer in a timely manner.

-Ken

Comment

Thats correct Ken.From the content and importance of my website,I needed an answer asap,which didnt happen here,but was given from Vodahost Help Desk instead in matter of minutes!
      It really doesnt look nice when a forum with thousands of members built for disscusing different issues isnt of any worth and you have to ask for help elsewhere...
      However,lets hope things will be right further on and I wont be dissapointed anymore.
      Regards-Tony

Comment

Originally posted by Tony07
        Thats correct Ken.From the content and importance of my website,I needed an answer asap,which didnt happen here,but was given from Vodahost Help Desk instead in matter of minutes!
        It really doesnt look nice when a forum with thousands of members built for disscusing different issues isnt of any worth and you have to ask for help elsewhere...
        However,lets hope things will be right further on and I wont be dissapointed anymore.
        Regards-Tony

I would ask you to go through the thousands of threads and you will find indeed, help for many elements of website building and non-website building related areas that people give their knowledge and information freely about.

Your choice of wording in your above statement is unfair. This forum and it's members are very supportive of their peers, and it is all within the goodness of themself, as well as the time they give to help posters.

And your problem was not even blue voda related ..... a further example of the wealth of knowledge and help gained right here in vodaland.

A tip for you .......... If you are having your own problem, make a new thread in the related area ... more attention can be given to you this way .... your post was included with a post that has been going on for months, you should have started your own thread in the appropriate area of the forum.

Now I urge you to reconsider your impression of this forum and set an example yourself, by helping other posters instead .....

Respectfully,

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Hey there

I feel my above comments seem harsh to you and you dont like me harming reputation of this forum,but unfortunately,until I am completely satisfied,I cant change my opinion and it stands as described above.For this I have my reasons.

I have read majority of topics here to find an answer that suit my needs and I am aware of their content.If I would have found there what I was looking for,then I didnt need to ask anyone,did I?Why waste my and others time?
          With huge respect for members who replied and helped me,that question was there almost 10 days and no one didnt even try to answer it.Taking in account there are over 25000 members here(not to mention 100 thousands of guests who can read comments here)I was surprised that help desk answered my question faster than this forum.
          And YES,I think my question was bluevoda related.I have been given an answer from help desk how to upload favicon thorugh blueftp.html.Is this not related?Please lets be real and talk seriously.
          Mister,the problem described above is not my own problem as you mention,but a solution that's worth for everyone who has got this problem and finally finds the answer from this forum.Does this not give better valuation to this forum?Therefore,I dont need to start my own thread,because the issue was already raised in there.If it has been in there for months,causes no harm if someone sends a reply afterwards so the thread stays alive.

Finally,I think my comments here are helpful not harmful for other members.

Regards-Tony

Comment

Tony,
            If you realize that everyone on this forum is here on a volunteer status - helping as they can - you should be grateful, not a spoiled brat - when a question you ask (that is already answered, by the way in the thread prior to you asking it) - is not jumped on immediately.

It's also possible that a thread gets missed. And it wouldn't have been hard for you to come back and nicely "ask" if anyone has the answer.

I don't see that you've taken the time to help out anyone on the forum - so how can you be so fast to complain that the rest here (who are members just like you) haven't jumped when you've had a question???
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Thanks man. I gotta create one now if the flipping link worked!! Can anyone help me out. It says Error Loading Page?

Comment

If you're fighting to get your Favicon to work in an Addon Domain:
                I battled with getting IE to recognize my favicon and in the end I changed the link rel that I put into the <head> </head> into this format:
                <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" REF="http://www.topdomain.com/subdomain folder/favicon.ico">
                as the domains I wanted it to appear in were addon domains within my Voda account - it then worked no problem.
                Firefox of course picked it up immediately even without the Link Rel!

Also: I'm using includes for my header banner&navigation, side menu and footer and found all I had to do was put the <Link Rel in the header banner code and so didn't need to add it into all 200 or so pages on the site as this code is included in all pages.

What would we do without Microsoft to keep us busy?!

CedarAtticVents.com Genuine Cedar Attic Vents, Gable Vents and Shutters in many Standard Designs and Sizes as well as Custom Made to Your Specifications
                HingeAndLatch.com Gate and Door Hardware with the look and feel of yesteryear. Traditional and Antique styles to enhance all your entrance-ways

Comment

This is awesome. I was able to create my favicon and it works perfectly even in IE. Thanks for this thread!!!
                  Yvonne
                  Ameriplan USA | Discount Dental Plans | Ameriplan Dental Care

Comment

"First you need to make you Icon, you can draw one for free by clicking the following link, then enter your email address and it will be sent to you. http://www.favicon.co.uk/"

I think this site is not working... Is there any site I can create my favicon from?
                    Thanks
                    ElTurco

Comment

Originally posted by TURCO
                      "First you need to make you Icon, you can draw one for free by clicking the following link, then enter your email address and it will be sent to you. http://www.favicon.co.uk/"

I think this site is not working... Is there any site I can create my favicon from?
                      Thanks
                      www.gunays.net
                      And the answer issss.... google :) Thanks anyway!
                      http://www.chami.com/HTML-KIT/services/favicon/

ElTurco

Comment

I am liking this! I got it to work first time when I tried it! I now have it on both of my sites homepages and will work on putting it on every page of both sites now! Thanks for this Rob!! :)
                        My Coffee Gourmet -I offer discounts to forum members, so pm me for the discount code!

We Have Picnic Baskets - Your stop for picnic baskets, picnic backpacks, NCAA Logo Merchandise and more! PM me for a discount code!

"What you not give up, No one can take from you!" - Our motto from our two month long strike this summer!

Comment

i went to this site that u linked here, but when i click "download" a new window appears asking me if i want to open or save. if i click on open the computer is not reading the extension of the file ("favicon.ico") . i have choose a program. so I'm stuck there.
                          if i click "save" I'm able to save it but then i cannot open it.
                          am i doing something wrong?
                          thanks.

Comment

Hi Lflagg,

It does not matter if you cannot open it.

1. Go here: http://www.tools.dynamicdrive.com/favicon/
                            and generate your favicon.
                            2. Save it to your PC (somewhere in your BlueVoda folder for safekeeping).

3. Use Blue FTP and upload the generated file ("favicon.ico") to your site. Verify it's there by typing http://mysite.com/favicon.ico in the browser's location, where "mysite.com" is your site's address.

4. Next, insert the below code in the HEAD section of your pages, at the very least, your site's main index page:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="/favicon.ico" />

That's it! Note that your favicon may not appear immediately after you've completed the above two steps. In fact, it may take a few days, and in IE, sometimes the favicon will disappear from time to time due to a browser bug.

My favicon took about 4 weeks to be displayed in my browser, so be patient and wait for it.
                            Bless you
                            Tom

Comment

I would like to post a thank you here. I followed all the instructions from the first post to the letter and it worked. Fantastic and my son is soooooo impressed! Well worth doing.
                              Thank you to all who posted their knowledge

Debbie

Comment

Web Development Developer Center from MSDN

How to Add a Shortcut Icon to a Web Page

You can use shortcut icons to display your logo or some other small graphic on the Microsoft Internet Explorer Favorites menu, address bar, and—starting with Windows Internet Explorer 7—page tabs. They have no special Web server requirements and are a great way to add brand recognition to your Web site. The following screen shot shows a shortcut icon for MSN.com on the Favorites menu, the address bar, and a page tab.

Until Internet Explorer 7, shortcut icons would appear only when users added a page to their Favorites. Starting with Internet Explorer 7, shortcut icons will always appear when one is available in a supported format.

In Internet Explorer 6, the icon is stored in the Temporary Internet Files folder on the user's computer, and additional metadata about the icon is stored in the user's history information.
                                Creating Icons in the Correct Size and Format

A shortcut icon for Internet Explorer must be square in size, and at least 16 x 16 pixels. Consider creating both a 16 x 16-pixel icon as well as a 32 x 32-pixel icon (and larger, bandwidth permitting), since on high-DPI displays, Internet Explorer may stretch the icon to fit the available space.

To create the icon, use an icon editor, such as the one included in Microsoft Visual Studio, and save the icon in the .ico file format. Internet Explorer will ignore icons that are not in .ico format, and will instead display the default Internet Explorer shortcut icon.
                                Associating the Shortcut Icon with Your Web Page

After creating the icon, you must associate it with your Web page. There are two methods for doing this.

The first method is to save the icon with the default file name of favicon.ico to the root directory of your domain—for example, www.microsoft.com/favicon.ico. The first time a user visits your Web page, Internet Explorer automatically searches for this file and places the icon in the address bar, next to all favorites linking to your site, and on page tabs. In Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Explorer 6, the icon will appears only after a user adds the site to the Favorites menu.

The second method for associating a shortcut icon with your Web page is to add a line of HTML code to the page's head element. The line of code includes a link tag that specifies the location and name of the icon file. You can include this link tag on a per-page basis. First, save the icon with a file name other than favicon.ico, and then add the following code to the head element of your page.
                                Code:
                                <head>
                                  <link rel="SHORTCUT ICON" href="http://www.mydomain.com/myicon.ico"/>
                                  <title>My Title</title>
                                </head>
                                You can use either method, or both. However, if you use the second method, whichever icon you point to in the link tag on each page will be displayed instead of the default favicon.ico file at the root of your domain.
                                Associating Multiple Shortcut Icons with Different Web Pages

If you want different pages on your Web site to have different shortcut icons, you must use a link tag as described in Associating the Shortcut Icon with Your Web Page. Within the link tag, point to whichever shortcut icon you want to display for that page.
                                Changing Your Page's Shortcut Icon

If you have used only the default favicon.ico file at the root of your domain as your shortcut icon, and you change the icon, your users may not see the updated icon until they have cleared their history and cache as described in Troubleshooting Shortcut Icons. Internet Explorer cannot detect whether favicon.ico has changed, so it will load a new copy only if it does not have one already.

To prevent this, use a link tag as described in Associating the Shortcut Icon with Your Web Page and use a different file name for the new shortcut icon. Internet Explorer compares the file name in the link tag to the known file name stored in the history information. If the file name has changed, Internet Explorer downloads the new icon.
                                Adding the Web Page to the User's Favorites Menu

In Internet Explorer 5 and Internet Explorer 6, a shortcut icon does not appear on the address bar unless the user chooses to add the page as a favorite. You can add a button or link to your page that prompts the user to add your page as a favorite. The following code is an example of one way to do this.
                                Code:
                                <script>
                                <!--
                                if ((navigator.appVersion.indexOf("MSIE") > 0)
                                  && (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) >= 4)) {
                                    var sText = "<u><span style='color:blue;cursor:hand;'";
                                    sText += "onclick='window.external.AddFavorite(location.href,";
                                    sText += "document.title);'>Add this page to your favorites</span></u>";
                                    document.write(sText);
                                }
                                //-->
                                </script>
                                Troubleshooting Shortcut Icons

If you are seeing the incorrect or default shortcut icon for your Web page, try the following:

* Verify that the shortcut icon is the correct size and format. For more information, see Creating Icons in the Correct Size and Format. Note that shortcut icons in image formats other than .ico—for instance, .bmp, .gif, or .png—cannot be displayed in Internet Explorer.
                                * Clear the Internet Explorer cache and history information. If either has become corrupted, incorrect shortcut icons may appear.
                                o To clear the cache and history information in Internet Explorer 7, on the Tools menu, click Delete Browsing History. Click Delete files to clear the cache, and click Delete history to clear the history information. Also, since shortcut icons for favorites are stored in the shortcut (.url) file in Internet Explorer 7, try removing the favorite and adding it again.
                                o To clear the cache and history information in Internet Explorer 6, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options. Under Temporary Internet files, click Delete files, and under History, click Clear history.
                                * Verify that Internet Explorer can store the shortcut icon in the Temporary Internet Files folder. If you have set Internet Explorer to not keep a cache, then it will not be able to store the icon and will display the default Internet Explorer shortcut icon instead.
                                Dave Hickey

www.youngstroke.org.nz

www.eko.co.nz

Comment

Working...
                                X