Need help on links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help on links

Hi. This is a bit of a mouthful but hope you can understand. I have a drop down menu system on my pages. Which drop from the top down. On one particular section i have currently got 4 or 5 pages which necessitate a menu on the page. I am fine with that but i was hoping to have just one actual page in use and when a user clicked on these menus on the side of the page the required text would appear on the page and when they would click on the next one the text, not the page would change. Basically to avoid users getting lost i would just like them to be able to click into this oage and use the side menuse to see the different text displayed in a common text area on the page without the page changing. Sorry does that make sense. Im sure there is a name for it but i dont know it!!!
    On a seperate item. Can you change the scrolling bar on the side of IE for your site through Blue Voda.
    Last edited by jollygreengiant; 05-09-2007, 11:12 PM. Reason: Spellings and a question

Re: Need help on links

I are thinking about using an I-frame, nay? I think so. Well, here's what you want to do.

It's not complicated, but I really don't know how to explain it. Do you have your site published yet, so I can give you ideas in terms of what I see?

Comment

Hi ... I frames will work well for what you want to do... little tricky but doable... use the search tool above and look through the I Frame Threads....
      I know that there are some really good how to do in those threads.... Doug

Comment

Originally posted by jollygreengiant
        Hi. This is a bit of a mouthful but hope you can understand. I have a drop down menu system on my pages. Which drop from the top down. On one particular section i have currently got 4 or 5 pages which necessitate a menu on the page. I am fine with that but i was hoping to have just one actual page in use and when a user clicked on these menus on the side of the page the required text would appear on the page and when they would click on the next one the text, not the page would change. Basically to avoid users getting lost i would just like them to be able to click into this oage and use the side menuse to see the different text displayed in a common text area on the page without the page changing. Sorry does that make sense. Im sure there is a name for it but i dont know it!!!
        On a seperate item. Can you change the scrolling bar on the side of IE for your site through Blue Voda.
        For the first thing there was a post just yesterday about that, with a good solution.. have a look, and I will too maybe one of us will find it... LOL
        But the second question is easier to answer - go to page properties and there is an optio there to change colors on the scroll bar .. View - page properties - scrollbar. and there you go!
        Liz
        www.sebastopolparty.com
        www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Hi AmaDee. I havent been back on here as i hadnt published the page in question. We are still in the testing phase. The page in question is http://www.shroscrea.com/history I would like to be able to have a common text area on the page so that when i or a visitor clicks on one of the side menu-s it will replace the current text on the page without actually loading a new page. Thx

Comment

I have been looking through the posts on i-frames and none of them seem to give me the info i need. I have tested it on my own and havent been able to get it to work but dont know if im doing it right. The online tutorial only introduces them at their most basic level

Comment

Hi ...Jolly... Place an I-frame on your page.. name it anything you like.. say frame1..address/link for the page you wish to call up into frame1...say http://www.yourdomain.com/pageA.html ...when you layout pageA ..position it to the top left corner..because the I-frame reads from top left corner.. then target it at frame1....publish both pages.. because i-frames only work when published ... and not in preview .... that will do it... good luck .. have fun... Doug

Comment

P.S... Jolly... Oh yeah ... be sure to size the area of the page you wish to show in the I-Frame the same size ... the sized I frame will only show that part of the page called up .. reading from the top left corner..and if you uncheck "border" on the I-frame...the frame can be made kinda invisible...hope that helps... Have Fun...Doug

Comment

Hi Doug, I'm still having problems getting the inline frames to appear. I've created a page called inlineframe.html which contains the inlineframe. I then have a page with text on it called testpage.html. I have called the inline frame, frame1, in the properties but i can't seem to get any properties for the testpage so as I can make the target, frame1. How do I go about getting the target path to appear for my testpage? When I publish the pages, the inlineframe.html appears (with the Page Cannot Be Found Error) while the text I have on the testpage also appears when i view that seperately. Getting testpage.html to appear within inlineframe.html is the problem

Comment

Hi, D/click on the iframe (properties box should appear) & enter in the URL field.
                    http://www.yoursite.com/testpage.html & press OK.
                    For this to work live or in preview, your page named as test should be published to your server/site. You will get a 404 page if not published.

Good luck.
                    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Thanks for the help. got it working. I had forgotten the http:// in the link. Just wondering about another problem I have encountered. When we type the URL of our site into the address bar www.shroscrea.com , the index of our files appears. Therefore to see the main page of the site you have to type www.shroscrea.com/home.html. How do you go about getting the main page to appear by just entering www.shroscrea.com

Comment

Hi, your home page should be named index only & nothing else, & all in lower case. No dots/dashs/.html's. & then publish. You will reach the home page/index via this link. www.shroscrea.com
                        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

So if i just name the page index.html and load it into the publi_html folder it will automatically go to it from the link you metnioned above and not the actual index? If i just call it index with no extension how will it be recognised? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by jollygreengiant
                            So if i just name the page index.html and load it into the publi_html folder it will automatically go to it from the link you metnioned above and not the actual index? If i just call it index with no extension how will it be recognised? Thanks in advance.

Name your page index, save your page as index, publish your page as index ....

The Blue Voda Software does all of the rest for you. It is currently set as default .html ... no need to add that ....

You only apply the .html when you are typing the link ...

If your second page was called grapes, you would name it grapes, save it as grapes, publish it as grapes and link to it as http://www.nameofyourdomain.com/grapes.html

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                            02036089024 / United Kingdom
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thank you. I have one final question on my page and then i will leave you all in peace. :~) I have a large scroll area on my page which i dont need. Originally the scroll area was larger than the actual BV wallpaer itself but i have rectified that but now i have space on the page that i dont need and when i change the size of the wallpaper or the sixe of page in page properties it doesnt make it any smaller. Is there anything i should be doing. The page is www.shroscrea.com/home.html I know the page oes tak a while to open but i will be changing the flash to a compressed version so it wont take as long to load

Comment

Working...
                              X