X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to create hyperlinks

Musicman,

I renamed all of my page files and also downloaded BV8 again.

I didn't republish but noticed that I can now link two of the pages for one shot only fom the preview screen. That's the equivelant of the browser isn't it? Oh yes, and I can also link a third page but it *******tes the Index page in it's place. Is that confusing enough or what? My synapsis seemed to be snapped.

Is it the way I have hyperlinked? Actually, as the Link buttons are grayed out on the top of each page I am a bit confused as to how to change the hyperlinks anyway.

Have I completely kaiboshed things by uploading my public file in the Control Panel? Oh where is my IT department when I need them??

It would be music to me ears if you had another trick up your sleeve...

Thanks,

Malcolm M

Comment

Originally posted by Girlonthehill
      You can build your whole website with BlueVoda and have everything ready to publish. But in order to 'see' your links working (and thoroughly test your site) you have to publish your site. You can only publish your site once you have created your VodaHost hosting account. The information you need, in order to publish, will be sent in your welcome email.
      Hi- off subject but I don't know where else to post it- in your webporium site, the text is awesome the way it pops out and looks like shade in the background- could you tell me how to do that?
      Thanks- and you've helped me before and I am VERY grateful for that, too!

Leeza

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Mills
        Hi,

I wish it were that easy folks.

I am not joking when I say that I have spent over a week attempting to link my pages without success. I really don't know what to do next. I have followed the tutorials to the letter and repeated the process many times but still only the front page will publish. I have checked my capitals and saved and published each page every time I change anything. What else can I do?

Voda Support have been unable to assist me. The response from Vodahost (these are REAL people , right?) is that my other pages do not exist. Unfortunately they cannot tell me why they do not exist! I am like a hamster on a wheel going round and ound and round....)

Neither can anyone explain why my "publish" buttons in BV at the top of each page is "Grayed" out!! What have I done wrong folks?

I could really use some help here. Unfortunately you will have to speak in baby talk because I am pathetically backwards at this. I realy wish I had tjought this through more but anyway, lets get at it. MY website was supposed to be live a week ago.

Thanks. I await some techie miracle from you learned guru's in BV Land!

Cheers and thanks in advance!

Malcolm ( www.toughworld.net)
        Simply, your links are wrong. f.e click on http://www.toughworld.net/need%20a%20speaker.html to see your speakers page, http://www.toughworld.net/book%20excerpt.html for the books, http://www.toughworld.net/book%20orders.html for book orders, and http://www.toughworld.net/contact%20us.html for contact. you have blank spaces between the words. (the %20 means a blank space). In some of the links you have also included a "_" (underscore) but your page is saved without underscore. Corect either the page names (and republish) or change the menu links.

And correct, VodaHost cannot tell you why they don't exist (they don't exist infact as you have them in your menu bar.) i simply found the error because i've seen this mistake too many times and i can guess and try, but VH staff cannot lose 15 or 20 minutes trying to guess.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Navaldesign,

Ok, I have opened up each page and followed your instructions changing each Navigation button description and page name and file name to match uniformly, saved exactly as suggested for this so called hyperlink... caps, spaces, everything. I saved each page and published each page individually. (Index wouldn't go to lower case for the I, so I left it in Upper)

After this I went to the Control panel under file manager and uploaded the newly saved pages. I didn't touch FTP or PHP??

I don't understand this. Something is not flowing through or I am working in the wrong screen or something. I have repeated this process numerous times. I need a drink, maybe two.

I have also reloaded BV8 recently. I reset my page settings through my button panel because my "Link" button on the top is still "grayed out".

I saved and published each renamed and revised page via the File drop down. I also checked each hyperlink on the page beyond what is in the Navigaton panel.

Could multiple links on the same page be conflicting?

Is there supposed to be a forward slash after the www.toughworld.net on the Index page?

Also, why will all of the other pages revise to save as lower case but the Index page only save as "Index"? Could this be contributing to the problem?

I have never filled in the "Target" field in any of the pages. Could this be why they don't upload? Did I miss something in the tutorials?

I'm fishing here hoping I will hit on something or you will recognize the problem.

In the meantime I continue to request feedback and suggestions. I don't know what to look for next. Everyone please be clear in telling me where togo on the page in order to make any suggested pages? Thanks. I need the hand holding at this point. I appreciate it.

Ideas please?

Cheers,

Malcolm M.

Comment

Originally posted by Malcolm Mills
            Navaldesign,

Ok, I have opened up each page and followed your instructions changing each Navigation button description and page name and file name to match uniformly, saved exactly as suggested for this so called hyperlink... caps, spaces, everything. I saved each page and published each page individually. (Index wouldn't go to lower case for the I, so I left it in Upper)

Wrong: index is all lowercase. Thank God your previous "index" is still there, else your site wouldn't even show.

After this I went to the Control panel under file manager and uploaded the newly saved pages. I didn't touch FTP or PHP??

Why did you in go in CP ?
            You CANNOT upload pages through CP / File Manager. Pages have to be published directly from BlueVoda using the "Publish" button.

I don't understand this. Something is not flowing through or I am working in the wrong screen or something. I have repeated this process numerous times. I need a drink, maybe two.

I have also reloaded BV8 recently. I reset my page settings through my button panel because my "Link" button on the top is still "grayed out".

??? Don't know wht. Try publishing therough "File" > "Publish"

I saved and published each renamed and revised page via the File drop down. I also checked each hyperlink on the page beyond what is in the Navigaton panel.
            How did you save ? In what format ?

Could multiple links on the same page be conflicting? Absolutely not

Is there supposed to be a forward slash after the www.toughworld.net on the Index page?
            No, no need for it. I can see your site clicking on www.toughworld.net

Also, why will all of the other pages revise to save as lower case but the Index page only save as "Index"? Could this be contributing to the problem?

Your index page should also be in lowercase.

I have never filled in the "Target" field in any of the pages. Could this be why they don't upload? Did I miss something in the tutorials?

No, the target does not affect publishing.

I'm fishing here hoping I will hit on something or you will recognize the problem.

In the meantime I continue to request feedback and suggestions. I don't know what to look for next. Everyone please be clear in telling me where togo on the page in order to make any suggested pages? Thanks. I need the hand holding at this point. I appreciate it.

Ideas please?

Cheers,

Malcolm M.

Ok. you have done excactly the contrary of what i suggested. F.e., your needaspeaker page, was published excactly as: "needaspeaker" and it was working because there were no blank spaces between the words, and the link in your menubar was http://www.toughworld.net/needaspeaker.html
            Now you have left the link in the menubar as it was, but you deleted the page and published it as "need a speaker". Indeed, click on http://www.toughworld.net/need%20a%20speaker.html to see your page.
            Do not touch your menubar. Open the page in BV, save it as "needaspeaker" and publish it.

Let's go to the rest of your pages: book excerpt: the link in the menubar is http://www.toughworld.net/bookexcerpt.html but the page is http://www.toughworld.net/book%20excerpt.html I remind you that the %20 means a blank space. Open the page in bv, save it as "bookexcerpt" and publish it. Please note that in some page menubar (like in your index page) the link in the menu bar is completely wrong as it is "book exerpt" -- "c" -- missing.

Book order: the link is http://www.toughworld.net/bookorder.html in the menubar, but the page iotself is http://www.toughworld.net/book%20excerpt.html . Also here the link in your index page is completely wrong: it is set up as http://www.toughworld.net whish sends back to the index page itself. Anyway: correct the link to be http://www.toughworld.net/bookexcerpt.html in all menubars, opn the page as "bookorder" and republish it.

Newsletter: the link in your menubar is http://www.toughworld.net/ezine.html

but the page nesletter is saved as http://www.toughworld.net/newsletter.html

How can it ever come up ?

Also i found this link (????) in one of your menu buttons,

http://www.locallinc.com/needaspeaker.html

as well as this one in your book orders page menu bar:

http://www.toughworld.net/www.toughw...ookorders.html

Please understand that page names and links must be excactly the same otherwise it will not work.
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Yippeee, I am dancing in the streets!!!! (from a sitting position, this is actually quite remarkable)

My pages are finally linking and I think I actually even know where I became twisted around.

Ok everyone with techie savvy, never assume that the newbie is differentiating between the BV "Save" file and the Navigation buttons or Link screen when it comes to saving and linking and caps and spaces.

The tutorials talk about blank spaces and capital letters and confuse the hell out of you (alright, me).

For my part, I was concerned that my Buttons would not have Caps on the words and I thought that by putting caps on the button descriptions, I also had to put caps on the rest to make it work. In a nutshell... you can ONLY put Capital letters and Spaces, in the Navigation Button Descriptons ... nowhere else. The Navigation URL's and Links must be consistent with the BV File name. In my case I deleted all spaces and caps.

So I dove you crazy for a few weeks. Stay tuned ... I'll be back!!

Cheers, hope this is of value to someone out there!

Malcolm

Comment

Hi, Im new here...

Can i use the BV web and publish it using another ftp?

Please to hear

Comment

No.
                  . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                  * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

How to delete or erase uploaded/published files

Dear Everyone,

Please tell me how to delete or erase allready uploaded/published files from the server so I can make changes to pages.

Thanks
                    R. Allen

Comment

You don't need to delete the old version. Simply publishing the updated version od the page, will overwrite the exixting one.
                      If, anyway, you still need to delete it, connect with FTP, select the file you want to delete and press DEL (or, ususally, right click, Delete)
                      Navaldesign

Comment

Just Published Site, Site acts strangely...Help

The site I published to test is drycond.com
                        A quick navigation with all the fixed menu buttons appears OK, but switching between the home page and sub pages keeps creating new home pages. By the time I have clicked a few buttons, I need to close 10 "home pages" to exit the site.
                        I did something fundamentally bizzare...and I cant figure it out. I just want to be able to click the back arrow to get back to the home page or click on the logo header to get back to the homepage.

Sorry If this problem is miscatergorized. I do not know if this is a hyperlinking problem or what.

Thanks for your help.
                        R. Allen

Comment

Because your links are made with Target set to _blank. Leave the target field empty.
                          Navaldesign

Comment

I follow the instructions how to link pages and the i publish my web site links are not working.... Is there any particular reason for that??? Or the tutorial doesn't say everything????

Comment

The tutorial explains everything. Please provide a link to your home page at least, so we can check the rest of your links directly.
                              Navaldesign

Comment

Iframe problems...

Hey NavalDesign, I followed an old post of yours and tried to get thumbnail photos to open in an iframe on the same page. It worked for awhile but I've done something wrong and can't figure out what..?!
                                www.redtractorfarm.com/seminarphotos.html
                                For now my home page directs to:
                                www.redtractorfarm.com/seminars.html but I don't like this nearly as much. Please help!
                                Marcie
                                www.redtractorfarm.com
                                www.iloveacorns.com
                                www.halfkilofeta.com

Comment

Working...
                                X