Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Page width - resolution

Hi,

Dell in their latest offerings are promoting 19" LCD,s their smallest range for Pc's are now 17". To me 15" monitors are all antiques and can be found in large multi national corps where all they view are alphabets and numbers. The Managers and Bosses would have 19" to 14" Lcd screens to view charts and graphs. Then theres the Yuppies who move about with their 12" screen Laptop which are getting wider but has a limitation not to go further than 12 1/2 ". Along came **** with their **** trying to reduce the laptop smaller and smaller, the *** oh so small and the cellphone smaller still but the consolation is that home PCs are getting cheaper and cheaper and the monitors are changing to LCD screens which are growing larger and larger!

So which viewers are you going for?

When U surf you will find that a lot of sites are going wide [1200] and they are running out of space so they try to cramm in as much as possible so the fonts becomes smaller and tinyer and finally almost unreadable so they have lost millions of viewer with poor eyesights and on and on and...........

So my guess is "To each his/her own" do what U think is best for your site and dont be guided by others for if your site fails, you can blame yourself.

Dont put yourself in a position where you compromise your design freedom in favour of size limitations because that is what everybody says it should be.

Be Guided by what others say and do ,but the final decision is yours make or break.
    www.siapamoyanganda.com/
    Malaysian Family Tree Website From the
    State of Johor.

HAPPY ARE THOSE WHO DREAM DREAMS AND ARE READY TO PAY THE PRICE TO MAKE THEM COME TRUE.

Comment

I have decided to compromise, I am going to start with 800 wide, and since the layout of my site will be morphing from time to time anyway, I may go larger as time goes on. If (???) anyone actually visits, perhaps I may get feedback and base future on those demographics.

Thanks for all advice,

Mike

P.S. My threads are disappearing from my view, if anyone can explain (am I "persona non grata"), please email me at mwalsh62@msn.com.

Comment

Originally posted by mwalsh62 View Post
        I have decided to compromise, I am going to start with 800 wide, and since the layout of my site will be morphing from time to time anyway, I may go larger as time goes on. If (???) anyone actually visits, perhaps I may get feedback and base future on those demographics.

Thanks for all advice,

Mike

P.S. My threads are disappearing from my view, if anyone can explain (am I "persona non gratis"), please email me at mwalsh62@msn.com.
        Good decision I think, Mike.
        Re your threads disappearing - sometimes that happens if threads are duplicated, and sometimes they are moved to more appropriate rooms, and sometimes they just disappear into the ether..
        You can check by checking in your user control panel and looking at all of your threads..
        Happens to me sometimes, too, go figure..
        Liz
        www.sebastopolparty.com
        www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye View Post
          Hi Igor ... no there isn't a trick, but you can insert a background color, right click on your page, select properties, choose color and then tick center in browser also ... this will center your page for all viewers and if you stick to '800 wide - no scrolling for anyone ...

Some people build their pages at '1000 wide using borders and edges but keep their main content within the '800 mark and then this widens your page for those viewers with larger or wide screens ...

I've seen a few uses of backgrounds that when applied as a background on page properties, even look like page templates, then the content is placed in the '800 mark and your site looks like it fills the entire screen on all pages, Bill2006 and Vasili each use one on one of their sites. I like this look ...
          Okay,seems pretty logic.We will try it out,thanks for your advise!!
          greetings Igor

Comment

Working...
          X