ftp access for a addon domain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ftp access for a addon domain

I am a newer than new newbie to all of this. So far - so good. I want to create two websites and want to show my husband how to change and add text and graphics using BlueVoda and then to upload them to HIS website. I don't want him to access my website or the public_html foler. I created an ftp account in the cpanel and now I have no idea how he can get access to the cpanel without getting access to all of my stuff. I have tried logging into the cpanel under the hisomain@mydomain.com but it doesn't give me access.

If I put BlueVoda on his computer and show him how to upload files, will he get access to my website also?

As you can tell, I don't know what I am talking about. I think I am missing a fundamental principal of ftp and the cpanel.

Any help will be appreciated. (oh, I did the tutorials and read through other posts before posting).

Thanks............. Ali

Re: ftp access for a addon domain

I have no idea how he can get access to the cpanel without getting access to all of my stuff.
    Impossible, cpanel does not have multi-user and multi-permission access, once he is in, he has access to everything.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

If your really worried about him snooping, just get him his own account.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thanks.

When I am in BlueVoda and I click on 'publish' and it asks for username and password and folder and I put in my ftp username and password as in my welcome letter and I can upload to both sites. That is all good.

What are all the ftp usernames and passwords in the cpanel for? I created one for each of the websites that I want to create for us. It says I can have unlimited ftp accounts. This is where I thought someone would only be able to upload and have access to files to the right of the / and not all sites on the cpanel. Maybe I am confusing cpanel rights to the ability to publish only to a certain folder?

Inside BlueVoda I tried to publish files to the addon domain using the addon domain ftp account (username and password and folder) that I had created in the cpanel and it told me: 'error 550, can't change the directory to public_html/planitart: no such file or directory''

Re the snooping (hadn't thought about that, but good point), it is bad enough me trying to do this. I am hoping I can at least get my site up and running, and really don't want him destroying it by mistake. He can however, play on his own files.

Am I as confused as I think I am?

Comment

Just to try and make it clear. I can publish to the same addon domain using the username and password I was sent in the welcome letter, just not using the ftp username and password that was created when I added the domain.

Hope that simplifies things.

Thanks again,
          Ali

Comment

Now I have created another ftp account but not used the .com when setting it up or when publishing. I keep getting an error with this account saying it is the incorrect password. It isn't. I have changed it just to check. Perhaps the site is having a problem tonight.

Comment

Let the servers "resolve" themselves after making changes to the overall operating instructions......usually around 15-30 minutes.

It's not how quickly, but how precisely you progress that defines brilliance.
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Thanks for that last suggestion. I waited overnight, but still get that same Error 550 about can't change the directory to public_html/planitart.co.nz: No such file or directory. I can see the folder in my cpanel. It is there, and I can publish to it through the master login and password.

This is driving me crazy. Am I correct in assuming I should be able to publish using bluevoda using those other ftp names and passwords in the list?

Thanks everyone and any more help is appreciated.

Comment

550 means the directory does not exist, what are you putting in?

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                  291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

I finally got a reply from my support ticket and it said to leave the folder (directory) blank in the publish box. when i do that it works just fine. thanks for your help everyone.

Comment

Working...
                    X