Publishing to Test Site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Publishing to Test Site

I have built a website using BV for a client who wants to keep his existing URL. What's the best way to publish the new site for his review prior to moving his domain name? I have dozens of links to pages in the new site so they can't be verified as yet.

Re: Publishing to Test Site

unfortunately you can only see links working after the site has been published...and to do that one must have a VodaHost account. Sites built with BV can only be published through VodaHost. Of course, when your client opens his VH account he will have the opportunity to transfer or point his domain to VH - usually for free.
    The only way for him to see what you have done so far is for you to transfer all files, including images, to his computer on which he has downloaded BV.
    Never measure the height of the mountain you're climbing. At the summit, look back and see how small it really is!

Comment

I understand that he won't be able to navigate the links until the site is published. What can I do in the future?

For example, let's say I'm developing sites for Client1 and Client2, both of whom have existing URLs. Could I:

1. Use a template and develop TestSite.com/index.html containing links to TestSite.com/page1.html, TestSite.com/page2.html, etc.

2. Publish TestSite.com for Client1 to view using a standard web browser.

3. After his approval, edit the template so the links connect to Client1site.com/page1.html, Client1Site.com/page2.html, etc.

4. Publish ClientSite1.com.

I would repeat the process for Client2 and use TestSite.com for all future clients. Is this feasible?

Comment

As ahimsa said you can ONLY publish bv page to a vodahost account so you can build the site in bluevoda publish to your website ( if vodahost ) into a folder on your server using client1 as name of folder and you then send the link to them, showing them how it looks.
        Now here comes the biggie if client1 and client2 don't have a vodahost account the hole thing is pointless as you will not be able to publish to the url.
        Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

Sorry that I'm not being clear with what I'm asking. In my example I will build and publish the test site in BV. I will also buy and publish the production site (Client1.com) in BV on my client's behalf.

The reason for the test site is so my client, who is not technical and does not have a BV account, can view the site using Internet Explorer before we update the name servers.

Is there a better approach for this client and future clients?

Comment

Oops. I just opened an account and saw that there is a temporary URL included. Looks like my preview problem is solved.

Comment

You do not need a production site. unless you yourself do not have a vodahost account. you would publish to yours ie in a folder named client1 or whatever you choose. as www.yourdomain.com/client1/ and so on www.yourdomain.com/client1/ they can then view it.

they would have to purchase an account in there own name and register the domain this can be done though a affiliate link that you can set up, after that you can publish to there account.

The temporary URL is only there until the domain propagates 1 or 2 days then it will be the domain name you signed up with.
              Alien Dude Solutions

Comment

Working...
              X