Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Having Difficulties Choosing Best Utility....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Having Difficulties Choosing Best Utility....

For comparison purposes check out www.cmsmatrix.org
    Steve S.
    http://golftechs.net

Comment

Rather odd, but trying to decide on the WYSIWYG aspect of Joomla (with highly encumbered editing limitations of sections vs. sub-sections) and the easy-to-learn Drupal (with an intimidating admin panel and losts of complaints about the "high learning curve") is still an ongoing battle for me....

I have a wonderful understanding about overall web design and computerese, but when it comes to what I call "doing math" (writing or customizing scripts and languages), I immeditately freeze up and sit stupified. There seems no other way to get what I want done than to hand over a well-detailed web design to a "pro" to set up for me according to my requirements, and then to hope that simple maintenance and updating will not be too difficult for me to handle (once the foundations is secure). In any event, it appears any open-source CMS will not be free for me.

I think that after all the considerations of capability, versatility, and the format of the admin panels and methodology of updating/maintaining, Joomla will probably be the easiest for me to sit in the driver's seat once the 'mechanic' gets it tuned up.

Any advice on this strategy?
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

If you're going to have a "pro" set it up, ask for recommendations from people you trust. Sorry to say, but there are some that will "take the money and run". The cheapest way(financially) is using open-source products with the features you want and having the the "pro" make them mesh and take care of any loose ends. Having a site built from the ground up costs alot. I received a quote for $15K for a CMS, a Forum and a Gallery.
        If you go with Joomla, don't let some of their terminology scramble your brain. They call the areas where stuff goes on a page "modules", which they're really not; I consider "modules" stuff like weather, forum, gallery, slideshow, news etc. So, you'll be putting modules in "modules"...
        Steve S.
        http://golftechs.net

Comment

Thanks, Steve.....I will likely not allow myself to be taken advantage of when it comes to paying for certain things to be done (it is the very reason I came to VH in the first place!), nor am I too-too terribly intimidated: trying to balance time is the real issue I suppose. I certainly am running out of steam when it comes to learning much anything new nowadays, and your are right about the gobbldigook that gets tossed about. (Happens here too, I am sure).

Funny about the modules......that did have me going! LOL They made it sound like I would have to open up a "section" and edit the **** out of it only to discover I messed it all up. I think that is what comes in real handy when planning a website and pre-formatting things, then handing them over to someone who can install it perfectly ..... saves time, money, re-do's, and frustration. Like making popcorn: punch a few buttons and wait?

. VodaWebs....Luxury Group
          * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Working...
          X