No announcement yet.

A word press issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

word press blog up - The real battle has just begun!

Well, I made it, I actually have a wordpress blog up and have posted to it.

How boring can a page look! It looks like something out of a age old financial magazine, or some sort of gazetted funeral notice.

How do I change the look of this please? Can I have a photo or two in the text area? How can I change the terrible type face that seems standard?
    Typographically it is an abo.....ion! The word spacing in the headline is totally disjointed. Please help to alter this shameful exhibition of ignorance.

I ask these questions as I can not find anything on the web I understand,
    neither are the Blue voda video tutorials very clear on this. I need to find something written for dummies like me. If the reader knows of a laymens ebook, something written in a sort of - 1. Do this. 2. Do this, sort of fashion please post the link. What I find on the net or the wordpress forum is way above me , it's all about adding plug ins and coding - have'nt a clue what a plug in is and where I find my plug in to upload photos from my computer. That is if the blog can take photos inside the text page.
    Thank you for reading and trying to educate a dummy.
    Hans

Comment

Re: word press blog up - The real battle has just begun!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
      02036089024 / United Kingdom
      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Re: A word press issue.

localhost is just that.. type it verbatim. Dont ask just do.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Yes mam, thank you mam, will do mam.

I shall do and as usual am thankful for your help.

Please do not take exception at my questioning... only trying to learn,
          I do the same for others, but in another field...
          if you want to learn to trade Forex let me know, I'll answer all your questions, promise... and you'll make some good money on top. that's for sure!
          Your thankful pupil in voda.
          Hans

Comment

Hi Hans,

I don't know if you solved the problem or not
            about uploading a new theme.

You can follow these steps:

1 - Download the theme you want to your computer.
            2 - Unzip it if it is zipped.
            3 - Using BV FTP, Connect to your server.
            4 - On your computer side, bring up the directory where
            you have unzipped the theme. It should be the theme directory.
            5 - On the server side, go to your existing blog directory
            6 - Click on wp-content
            7 - Click on themes

So your theme directory (where your new theme is at) and the themes
            directory on your server are facing each other.

Your new theme should be a directory under which you have all the goodies.

Copy the unzipped directory on your computer to the themes directory on your server. There are already two themes sitting on your server - classic and default.

8 - Now login to your wordpress of your blog.
            9 - It should come up with Dashboard.
            10 - Scroll down and under Appearance, click Theme.
            11 - You should see your new theme along with the two others.
            12. Click on your new one. At the top right, you would see "Activate". Click it and you are in business.

I hope that helps.

You, of course, need a login for your wordpress blog
            and for nothing else.

Shafi
            Doable Personal Finance

Comment

Hi Hans,

I just posted some helpful hints here

Scroll down to the very last post.

Search for some nice themes that are free.

Shafi
              Doable Personal Finance

Comment

Hi Hans,
                For a detailed wordpress tutorial
                click on http://www.mywebsiteworkout.com/wordpress/

You can go directly to
                Doable Personal Finance

Comment

Shafi,
                  Thank you very much for the complete reply. I have done as per your tutorial. It is all so easy once one has learned.
                  I thank you very much. I did as instructed and Bingo, I can now find myself a theme that I like and go from there. I tried one and sure enough it has altered my blog.
                  Again thank you, many frustrations out of my life.
                  Would you give me some more of your valuable time please? If it is too much I understand.
                  1. Could you please also tell me how I get to use a pic within my text, say on the left in the first para and than further copy below the pic across the full copy width, and than again maybe a pic on the right etc.
                  2. Also, could I have a camstudio link in the body copy which would open a popup screen in the blog for the blog visitor to view the recording with Audio in a pop up window?
                  As a forex tutor, I may want to show some chart work which i will record live off my dek top.
                  Many thank yous,
                  Hans

Comment

Originally posted by wysiwyg4 View Post
                    Hi Wys,
                    Thank you. Had a look, sure nice! I have V2.8.2 will these templates work?
                    Thank you
                    Hans

Comment

You have to see on each theme that you like if it will work with
                      the latest WordPress. In most cases, each theme should.

Two columns and three columns are most common. Select one that you like and is functioning with what you want from a blog.

Nothing should stop you from trying a new theme.

As I understand it, you have so far posted only once.

So it's the beginning. Now you know how to install a new theme. Go ahead try another.

White bkground and close to black text works for almost everyone. I stay away from theme that strains my eyes.
                      Doable Personal Finance

Comment

You have two instances of the same problem open.

Just use one. Because folks can go back and forth between
                        the two instances.
                        Doable Personal Finance

Comment

You have to see on each theme that you like if it will work with
                          the latest WordPress. In most cases, each theme should.

Two columns and three columns are most common. Select one that you like and is functioning with what you want from a blog.

Nothing should stop you from trying a new theme.

As I understand it, you have so far posted only once.

So it's the beginning. Now you know how to install a new theme. Go ahead try another.

White bkground and close to black text works for almost everyone. I stay away from theme that strains my eyes.
                          Thank you again Shafi.
                          Yes it is my first go. I have changed the theme, and rather like what I have. Only one post sofar. If I add another, does it get shunted on the bottom of this one, or does one somehow get a clean page for every post?
                          Please look at the blog, it shows the visitor a link to my dashboard! A bit scary. http://forextraderspa.com/tradingprofits/

I would now like to learn to add pics in the text. I found some info, but it talks about adding code. Frightens me to fiddle with code.

Comment

After login to your WordPress blog, you are on Dash Board.

This is for practice only. Don't mess with your already posted article.

Click on Add New under Post. Give it some heading like Testing.

Right across Upload/Insert, you have Visual, HTML.
                            I use HTML a lot. So click on it. This example is for HTML. You can very easily use Visual. It's your preference. I just like to look at the nitty-gritty of what the heck the system is doing.

In the content, write some a couple of sentences. This is what I have.

The quick fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Bring the cursor to the beginning of the content just before the first "The".

Under the heading, you have permalink and under it you have Upload/Insert

The first icon is for adding image, the second for .....

Click the image. A new window appears.
                            Choose files to upload. Click Select Files. A new window.
                            Bring in the sub-directory that your image resides in.
                            Double click on the image. Watch what happens.
                            A new window with your picture on it.
                            Select the alignment and the size
                            Right under the Thumbnail, click on Insert into post.
                            Window closes and you are back to your post.
                            Click Save Draft
                            Click Preview.
                            Doable Personal Finance

Comment

After login to your WordPress blog, you are on Dash Board.

This is for practice only. Don't mess with your already posted article.

Click on Add New under Post. Give it some heading like Testing.

Right across Upload/Insert, you have Visual, HTML.
                              I use HTML a lot. So click on it. This example is for HTML. You can very easily use Visual. It's your preference. I just like to look at the nitty-gritty of what the heck the system is doing.

In the content, write some a couple of sentences. This is what I have.

The quick fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick fox jumps over the lazy dog. The quick fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Bring the cursor to the beginning of the content just before the first "The".

Under the heading, you have permalink and under it you have Upload/Insert

The first icon is for adding image, the second for .....

Click the image. A new window appears.
                              Choose files to upload. Click Select Files. A new window.
                              Bring in the sub-directory that your image resides in.
                              Double click on the image. Watch what happens.
                              A new window with your picture on it.
                              Select the alignment and the size
                              Right under the Thumbnail, click on Insert into post.
                              Window closes and you are back to your post.
                              Click Save Draft
                              Click Preview.
                              Shafi, I am greatful indeed. I should never have worked this out without your kind assistance. I did exactly as you said and saw my yacht and other pics. in the position I have visualised it. I am very greatful for giving me so much of your time. These two posts have been excellent tutorials for a newby like me.

If you have time, please teach me if one can select a different font and font sizes, also change colour of the post font and head lines?
                              gratefull thanx
                              Hans

Comment

Shafi... Yeh! Great! I have put a pic in my blog. Please tell me how do I position the pic somewhere down the middle of the blog next to the body copy where my topic gets to the real point of the blog?
                                Its about half way down the blog.
                                Thank you again.
                                Hans

Comment

Working...
                                X