How do I get the blog to show up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How do I get the blog to show up?

Kassi--Thanks, I took your advice and removed my originial installation of WP, and then installed WP again, this time telling it to install in a directory called WordPress. Looks like it worked; I now have a link on my site to my blog, which is at http://jhwm.net/WordPress.

And yes, I made sure to e-mail myself a copy of the installation details (I had done that the first time I installed WP, too).

Also, I'm sure there's an easy fix for this, but why is a date in 1969 listed at the head of my blog?

Comment

Congrats! Good work! Ive seen it and so far wonderful!...Now we will work on cool templates!...hehehe....

personally I'm a computer slob. lol....So I do my best to keep to my own rules of folder saving. Text files will my passwords and any other important info that at the time I don't think Ill ever need. Well I have needed it for one reason or another..So I keep all of that for future reference.

Outdated - When the templates were created they needed something to put there. All you do is:
      write
      write post
      on the right there are different categories.
      scroll down to 'post timestamp'
      click the + sign to open that if its not already open.
      there you can edit the time.

For the post you already have:
      manage.
      and again scroll down to edit time stamptime stamp.
      poof done!....
      no more outdated!....

Oh, after doing all that make sure that you save and or publish. so the times will change accordingly.

NOW - templates, Here is a link to many free wordpress templates, they are really cool, have a look/see to find the one that goes with what you envision.
      TEMPLATES

Hollar at me if you need some help on installing the new template.
      Have fun!

Comment

Thanks for all those instructions, K. I think I followed them correctly, but when I looked at my one-and-only post (so far) after doing what you said, I see the date of it but not the time. But when I go to Manage > Posts > Edit > Timestamp, it shows that the right time and date I posted the message. So why isn't the time of the post showing in the blog?

Also, still learning here: Each time I publish a new post, I have to specify whether I want it timestamped or not? I'd prefer that the date and time of each post appear automatically, as they do in this VH forum.

Looked through the themes; the one that comes closest to what I want is "Sky3c" but I see that it's:

- the 4th-most-downloaded theme, and I'd rather not look like a me-too
        - having trouble displaying that great cloud photo on some browsers or PCs

Plus, I'd prefer a theme that's as close as possible to the blue and orangey-yellow of my site and my logo (picky, I know). Any thoughts on these issues? And, how difficult is it to design one's own theme?

Comment

I have found it sometimes take a while for it to catch up with itself...lol..actually I think the browser wont give up to changes..sometimes when you go to a different browswer you will see the changes...I had a look and it looks fine to me...september 22, 2006.
          mine doesnt have the acutal time post...just the date.
          I would at least have a look at it to make sure it is in fact the proper date. but you shouldnt have to deal with it.

What you can do about certain themes is go to the THEME VIEWER
          on the left there are areas to tick.
          Tick all the areas and leave out the colors you dont want to have.

I dont know about designing on my own. Ive only used the templates. I have been able to take the templates that have a photo header and change that in my home software, then upload that.
          I did that on both blogs. But Im not that savvy to a complete design.
          I can have a look around and see if there are any templates that I can exchange with a photo of your mat if you would like.

Comment

I just noticed that Sky3c was the template that I used!..lol....
            VERMONT
            ACTUAL TEMPLATE
            I changed a couple items.

Comment

I learned a lot reading this thread- thanks Kassi.
              I downloaded a theme called Grow with the Flow from http://www.freelayouts.com/templates...w?preview=true
              I got it into my FTP manager and uploaded it in the themes folder but now what? The wordpress page I installed looks nothing like the one in the tutorial- no toolbar for doing what I need to do to get a new theme. See it at http://humnew.com/wordpress.
              HumBird
              www.Humnew.com

Comment

To be able to access your dashboard you first must be logged into your admin account.
                After you are logged in you then click presentation
                If you have uploaded your theme correctly it should appear on this page.
                If its not there then you must find out what didnt upload. by going back and forth between the download and the server.
                every once and a while something gets lost in the shuffle.
                hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks again
                  I just checked my blog address and this time I got a whole new response that let me log into my account. I guess it just took a couple of days ???
                  HumBird
                  www.Humnew.com

Comment

ok. After you log in then follow the directions I explained above and you should see the template there.

Comment

Future Bloggers of America!

I recently found this, haven't been able to spend much time reading, but it seems interesting! Link

Comment

Thank you from another novice!!!! I too couldn't find my blog. Then I followed the steps of deleting, adding a name and presto- I can see my blog.

For new users like me I think this is a problem with the outlay of instructions when you download

Happy blogging to all
                        Thanks

Comment

hi kassie,
                          I was able to benefit from all your posts...from finding my blog and getting it set up... but I don't understand how to change the template... can you give me the directions on how to do that?

Comment

First you will need to download some templates to choose from. In your presentation there are only the default templates and they aren't so exciting.
                            Go to:
                            Find the perfect theme for your WordPress website. Choose from thousands of stunning designs with a wide variety of features and customization options.

choose from there a couple or how ever many you want.
                            download them onto your desktop
                            -------
                            In blueftp (or filezilla) any ftp program will surfice:
                            After loading your ftp you will see two sides.
                            Left is your computer files/right is your server.
                            on your right - find your wordpress (in public/html)
                            In that find wp-content
                            themes
                            -------
                            Upload from your left side (computer desktop(or where ever you downloaded your templates)) to your right side in the themes.
                            -------
                            After uploading all your templates into your themes folder
                            double check to make sure you have gotten all the files
                            transfered properly.
                            --------
                            Now go to your wordpress blog
                            after signing in find presentation
                            There if all went well in the transfer you will find all your new templates!
                            just click on the one that appeals to you and you will have changed the
                            look and feel of your blog!
                            Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                            X