Google site map - ror.xml

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Google site map - ror.xml

I've deleted all those non published files/pages - resubmitted site (after changes) and added site map but still not reccognised.

Comment

Originally posted by LadyEye View Post
      No, I would recommend that you wait until you finish your site before you put in a site map for google seo's ... google will find your site with or without a site map - dead or non-working links are not good for anyone - so I would also remove those links until the pages are made and published ...
      My sitemap never worked the way I wanted it to so today I'm going back (which was only last month but now feels like last year, LOL) and re-doing it from scratch as I 1st did it way back before I had finished my index page. I now have a couple of NEW pages I'm working (not yet published) on which are not directly linked via a menu to the index but are at the end of my domain name. Would I need to put a new sitemap on those pages also or use the same one I created for the index page? Thanks in advance LE

Lucy
      Where's Your Life Going? You might find some help here: http://www.ourjourneytolife.com/banners3.html
      Who is Pristinelife? http://ourjourneytolife.com/aboutme.html

Comment

Hi Lucy

thanks for your comments... how necessary is the sitemap (If you know) whith regard to people finding you through Google etc. and for ranking puroposes... where do you rank currently?

regards

William......

Comment

Hi William

Please show me where you have applied the link http://www.life-guru.com/ror.xml on your index page?

I see the word site map in small text but it is not linked .. ??

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          1-302-283-3777 North America / International
          02036089024 / United Kingdom
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

okaaaaaaaaaaaay - thinking now (Rare for me!) - This is what i did.... went into my home page - created the text 'sitemap' and then double clicked to activate the link icon. Then typed in the http://www.life-guru.com/ror.xml in the window. Was there/is there something very obvious i haven't don !? (I am a man after all Lol !!).

William

Comment

Okay ... well you do not have your text linked.

To link text you must:

highlight the word as you would anything when you are copying & pasting

as the word is highlighted go to INSERT - LINK - and then type the link into the area that says URL then say okay - and then republish your page ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hi - I have now linked my site map over and over... making sure I spell everything correctly and then publish and google still gives me a 404 not found.... I've - checked that the ror.xml is in my public folder and it is - contains 1 KBB. My link is to that file. I'm totally stuck now........ and starting to smile a lot - think insanity is now setting in !!

Comment

Hi,

sorry but I cannot see what I have done wrong with the site map.

I get the 404 error but have must be missing something, probably very simple as ususal!

I do not know if someone can help on www.thetruthaboutreiki.com or if I should get a ticket.

many thanks

Dave
                  Dave

Law of Attraction Books
                  Hypnotherapy Hertfordshire
                  Reiki Books

Comment

Originally posted by David Marshall View Post
                    Hi,

sorry but I cannot see what I have done wrong with the site map.

I get the 404 error but have must be missing something, probably very simple as ususal!

I do not know if someone can help on www.thetruthaboutreiki.com or if I should get a ticket.

many thanks

Dave

Hi David

If Voda support were to answer your question about the ror sitemap it would be from the goodness of their heart, as this is an element you are adding to your website, outside of anything to do with Voda Hosting or the Blue Voda webbuilder.

Now with that being said ... are you both following the instructions given to you when you are creating the sitemap??

Here is the link http://www.rorweb.com/rormap.htm and the instructions are there.

If you follow these instructions you should not have any problem with the sitemap ..

Where and when do you get the 404 error????

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

William ... I see you still do not have the word sitemap set up as a link ... it needs to be linked.

Highlight the word sitemap on your index page, go to the toolbar, choose insert, choose link, type in the url and republish your page ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Lady Eye,

For quite some time I have ignored the site map (I actually built my own with hyperlinks and all). I have now deleted that one and created the ROR version.

Everything works out well, instructions very clear; in other words everything is working, BUT I just need to confirm something.

1. How long does it normally take before all my pages are listed?

2. If I open the site map, I only see the ROR headings and stuff and then just the arrows on the left for my pages. Are there suppose to be page titles as well? It looks the same if I open the sitemap on your site as well. I just need to make sure there is nothing wrong with the software here on my PC.

(please note, I'm still working to improve my pictures, so turn a Blind Eye to them for now).

Many thanks.
                        Bless you
                        Tom

Comment

thanks for your feedback ladyeye.

I will go through it again tomoto, a bit late now and the eyes have had enough of a computer screen.

All the best

Dave
                          Dave

Law of Attraction Books
                          Hypnotherapy Hertfordshire
                          Reiki Books

Comment

David

Yes, try again tomorrow, be sure your site is ready, there is no sense putting the ror site map on if your site is not ready ... all links need to be working and you should have at least 4 or more pages to make the site map worthy ...

Also check the google threads on this forum, there is much more you can do besides this ...

Tom:

Your site is looking good .. and you look as though you have done things correctly ... if you add more pages, you also redo your sitemap, keep it as current as your site ... it is really just a guide for the search engines to find your pages easier ... they will find you regardless. I believe they do things on a monthly basis, so expect that amount of time at least ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Thank you Lady Eye,

Some more issues please:

When I open the Site Map from home, it obviously open with the ROR software (it open in a window with a noce index).

I'm now on another computer and if I open the site map, it opens as html. This is not what I want the visitors to see. Must I install ROR on my site as well?

Also, I have much more pages than are currently listed in ROR. I have about 50 pages and ROR only list 4. Your comments/advice on this please.

Thank you in advance.
                              Bless you
                              Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Tom vR View Post
                                Thank you Lady Eye,

Some more issues please:

When I open the Site Map from home, it obviously open with the ROR software (it open in a window with a noce index).

I'm now on another computer and if I open the site map, it opens as html. This is not what I want the visitors to see. Must I install ROR on my site as well?

Also, I have much more pages than are currently listed in ROR. I have about 50 pages and ROR only list 4. Your comments/advice on this please.

Thank you in advance.
                                The ror sitemap is for search engines, not your visitors. I am not sure why you are seeing a different from computer to computer, this shouldn't be ... doesn't make sense. Is it the very same site and very same link you are clicking? The ror sitemap is all code ... thus the advice of putting a small discreet link on your index page.

Others have chosen to make their site map a page listing all the url's of their site, and then linking to this via site-map. You may consider doing this.

You are using a "drop-down" style menu, which is not read very well by search engines. I don't personally use those style menus, but if you read further under the google threads you will see and read and learn more than you bargained for, lol ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Working...
                                X