X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: will google find me?

Great read thanks!!!!

Comment

Re: will google find me? Well it has not found me.

I have purchased Voda Hits, I have even used the analysis tool to evaluate my searchabililty. But as of yet, even if you type in my website name

thereverendlisa.com

nothing, although google pulls up every craigslist ad that I have. And to date that is the only way people are finding me.

I have tried to clean up my meta tags, but .... Suggestions are welcom.

Reverend Lisa

Comment

If I may be so bold as to submit here with my limited qualification, reverendlisa, I suspect you and I are in the same situation; we have submitted and now we await the Google bots. The word that I am getting - from my perspective - is that Google does what Google wants to and only when Google gets around to doing it. This means even if one does everything "by the book" and submits to Google. What this all boils down to is simply waiting...

And wait, and wait until the bots come a-calling and then you will get ranked and listed by Google and all their subsidiaries (i.e. yahoo, etc.) who all use Google as their source.

Just a reminder; I trust you have submitted a site map (www.yourwebsite.com/sitemap.xml) and FTP'd that notepad doc into your public_folder domain(?) as well as a robot.txt.

This all has me in a twist as I made some errors and still have some items that need fixing before my bots knock on my website door and enter. Vasilli and the others were real helpful in pointing out some major mistakes.

Try these links to go through a checklist for compatability before you get Googled:

The Google Search Essentials make up the core parts of what makes your web-based content (web pages, images, videos, or other publicly-available material that Google finds on the web) eligible to appear and perform well on Google Search.

As I understand things, One need only submit primary pages of importance and have the robot.txt doc instruct Google to only crawl those pages of importance. This seems necessary since those pages will link directly to the less important pages that are not necessary for a search engine. I also seem to be getting lead to believe that it is vitally important to name even your images that you import as being relative to the page they are on, as well as being relative to the adjacent, body text. So, naming your imported images (bob's_cat.jpg instead of 10258.jpg) and right below that providing the proper alternate text as "bobs cat playing with a ball of yarn" and understanding that you DO NOT put keywords or lengthy blah blah text that will confuse the bots.

At the end of the day, using the BV builder is not as simple as clicking and adding items. There is no such thing as an instant website if you expect to pass the Google test and be SEO'd to the front page. Each and every item that you add must have an inter connective relevance to the items surrounding it on the page. Everything must have the correct property and HTML info to give it a solid purpose for being on the page and in that page location.

Incidentally, this skews the claim that WYSIWYG is all that! What you see is only what YOU see, but it all changes when you publish!

I suspect that WYSIWYG is misleading and does not alert the web site designer to the fact that Google Cannot See What You See If You Do Not Submit Per Google Rules (GCSWYSIYDNSPGR).

I did not know this matter-of-factly and only suspected it; my bad! Now I know. Yes, that means that the days of quickly adding a photo or image and clicking the publish button are gone, and we now must select, add, name, provide alternate text, and have in the text something about the image name or alternate text phrase or clause. Think of your web page (Both visible and invisible - meta, html, etc.) as a beautifully woven spider web; built per Google plan and specifications.

Anyways, thanks for letting me digress. This is all I know and if I am in err, I will stand down as I am corrected by the more well-versed and well-qualified experts about this forum.

Good luck, my friend.

John

Comment

Thank you John, you have in fact described some of the things I have not done. I guess I will have to do some reworking again. Thank you for taking the time to reply. Rev. Lisa

Comment

Originally posted by John K. View Post
            If I may be so bold as to submit here with my limited qualification, reverendlisa, I suspect you and I are in the same situation; we have submitted and now we await the Google bots. The word that I am getting - from my perspective - is that Google does what Google wants to and only when Google gets around to doing it. This means even if one does everything "by the book" and submits to Google. What this all boils down to is simply waiting...

And wait, and wait until the bots come a-calling and then you will get ranked and listed by Google and all their subsidiaries (i.e. yahoo, etc.) who all use Google as their source.

Just a reminder; I trust you have submitted a site map (www.yourwebsite.com/sitemap.xml) and FTP'd that notepad doc into your public_folder domain(?) as well as a robot.txt.

This all has me in a twist as I made some errors and still have some items that need fixing before my bots knock on my website door and enter. Vasilli and the others were real helpful in pointing out some major mistakes.

Try these links to go through a checklist for compatability before you get Googled:

The Google Search Essentials make up the core parts of what makes your web-based content (web pages, images, videos, or other publicly-available material that Google finds on the web) eligible to appear and perform well on Google Search.

As I understand things, One need only submit primary pages of importance and have the robot.txt doc instruct Google to only crawl those pages of importance. This seems necessary since those pages will link directly to the less important pages that are not necessary for a search engine. I also seem to be getting lead to believe that it is vitally important to name even your images that you import as being relative to the page they are on, as well as being relative to the adjacent, body text. So, naming your imported images (bob's_cat.jpg instead of 10258.jpg) and right below that providing the proper alternate text as "bobs cat playing with a ball of yarn" and understanding that you DO NOT put keywords or lengthy blah blah text that will confuse the bots.

At the end of the day, using the BV builder is not as simple as clicking and adding items. There is no such thing as an instant website if you expect to pass the Google test and be SEO'd to the front page. Each and every item that you add must have an inter connective relevance to the items surrounding it on the page. Everything must have the correct property and HTML info to give it a solid purpose for being on the page and in that page location.

Incidentally, this skews the claim that WYSIWYG is all that! What you see is only what YOU see, but it all changes when you publish!

I suspect that WYSIWYG is misleading and does not alert the web site designer to the fact that Google Cannot See What You See If You Do Not Submit Per Google Rules (GCSWYSIYDNSPGR).

I did not know this matter-of-factly and only suspected it; my bad! Now I know. Yes, that means that the days of quickly adding a photo or image and clicking the publish button are gone, and we now must select, add, name, provide alternate text, and have in the text something about the image name or alternate text phrase or clause. Think of your web page (Both visible and invisible - meta, html, etc.) as a beautifully woven spider web; built per Google plan and specifications.

Anyways, thanks for letting me digress. This is all I know and if I am in err, I will stand down as I am corrected by the more well-versed and well-qualified experts about this forum.

Good luck, my friend.

John
            Actually, John, it seems you have digsted the logic quite well indeed, and are able to use your own terminology and conversational manner in which to convey quite effectively the imperatives and compelling reasons to comply with the standards regarding Construct and Relevance, and how truly important they are when creating values to sort the worthy from the unworthy websites on the WWW ..... well done! Seems my lengthy and verbose posts might actually be of value from time to time ... [REF: POST] ...

I must point out, however, that the WYSIWYG refers to the manner in which objects and elements behave in the "workspace" of Blue Voda, in a Windows-oriented view, as opposed to what might be seen in Dreamweaver (a HTML environment), where although you see 'objects' they are not the exact size or exact placement as will be published as it is in Blue Voda: the code is what actually creates the published version, even though it is pulling from pre-defined resources (i.e. images with sizes preset). Blue Voda shows the most exact version to the published version possible, hence "WYSIWYG."
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

I second that! Thank you so much, Vasilli, for the clarification. Believe it or not, I am getting this down, although I am more of an applied learner than an academic one (i.e. use it or lose it). Thank you!
              John

Comment

Working...
              X