Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heeeeeeeeeeeelp!!! dropped out of google land

AJ..

If you KEYWORD STUFF anything.. Its going to have an impact. Alt tags and IMAGE names are read by the SE,while it wont be the ONLY thing it READS, I guarantee you, that if you use it to SPAM they will, just like the keyword META Tag, use it to count against you.

ALT tags (attributes)are one of the things they DO look and DO count along with countless other aspects in their algorythms. It amounts to the same thing as adding HIDDEN text on your webpage used incorrectly. Just because the visitor doesnt see it, the SE does.

The alt attribute was manifested in html coding to 1.) Display the text description if for some reason your image doesn't display properly and 2.) Render coding for Computer Rendered Voice Recognition programs for the Visually Impaired. You can alt attribute and TITLE attribute many things not just images.

SO .. alt attributes play no more relevancy than your page name, page title, or page content. The fact is .. if you use any of them, use them correctly, or dont use them at all. Use them to spam or trick the SE into believing your content is relevant, it will count double against you.

Ive been doing this more than 5 years, not a question if I am right or wrong. If I am wrong so are some big names on big boards that I am a member of and I can list you about 5000 pages of resources to back up what I am telling you. I didnt JUST arrive on Voda Host!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Wouldn't argue with most of that, but I do stand by my statement that well-optimised ALT tags aren't all that critical for SE results. You wouldn't lose out on a whole bunch of results if you had no ALT tags at all, providing the rest of the site was well optimised with good inbound links.

Comment

Your "degree" of opinion has been noted, yet is not entirely within conformity with currently published algorthims (each element is important: read in here the "orphaned object"). It is good to see that you preface such reflection with your own successful efforts, though, as it offers a greater sense of peerage and aptitude!
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by AJ113 View Post
          Wouldn't argue with most of that, but I do stand by my statement that well-optimised ALT tags aren't all that critical for SE results. You wouldn't lose out on a whole bunch of results if you had no ALT tags at all, providing the rest of the site was well optimised with good inbound links.
          I disagree. As Vasili already stated, if a page is LEAN on content, alt tags are a good acceptable way to add content. They are available to use, and to use properly and part of dotting your i's and crossing your t's. If an image doesnt show up, a red x appears, Id much rather have something appear that gives one the idea of what is supposed to be there. It also gives a very silent audience aid in visualizing your site as I mentioned, visually impaired.

Optimizing isnt just about gaining points in the SE for page rank, its about getting visitors to your site, all sorts of visitors, and to do that you have to get listed, and relevant content gets you listed. (SERPS)

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
          291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

If a page is lean on content, write another paragraph. Google loves paragraphs.

Comment

lalalalala............. and alt tags would be part of that quality content...

and on we go!

Wait i heard that!

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Hi,

it seems I have two options and would love some advice/opinions on which one may the best way forward:

1. Reorganise the present site, removing the issues, then wait to see what happens.

2. Reorganise the pages and place on another domain name I have,

Any advice is very welcome and it is all very helpful. Got to head to bed now and get stuck into it in the morning. Basically I want the best site that works in every way, so with lessons learnt am ready to refocus efforts and crack on.

Thanks for all the comments, very helpful and yet another learning curve for me.

cheers

Dave
                Dave

Law of Attraction Books
                Hypnotherapy Hertfordshire
                Reiki Books

Comment

1. Fix the ALT tags, replacing with short "value"-oriented Key Words that are anchored on the page, or hyperlink them to an interior page with a relevant article.
                  2. Keep your footer "Menu" system, as it is in truth a "sub-navigation" that is not only useful to visitors drilling in for specifric articles, but provides the SE's with an 'up-front' snapshot functionality that should mirror your sitemap (which should be updated each time you add pages/articles).

IMO

. VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                  * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by David Marshall View Post
                    Hi,

it seems I have two options and would love some advice/opinions on which one may the best way forward:

1. Reorganise the present site, removing the issues, then wait to see what happens.

2. Reorganise the pages and place on another domain name I have,

Any advice is very welcome and it is all very helpful. Got to head to bed now and get stuck into it in the morning. Basically I want the best site that works in every way, so with lessons learnt am ready to refocus efforts and crack on.

Thanks for all the comments, very helpful and yet another learning curve for me.

cheers

Dave
                    Dave

Clean up that site.. and if you leave the footer clean it up and make it usable in case a visitor is down there and doesnt want to scroll up.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

Re: Dropped out of google land

Its all a learning curve Dave, I had some really bad advice in the early days from people who were a year behind on what google now frowned upon and nearly lost my site all together. I now just stick to the basics of getting good links, adding good content that is relevant to my site, writing articles and submitting them to well respected sites etc...etc I never try to get one over on the search engines as said google is not two men in a garage it is a very sophisticted company, who's goal it is to give the best sites to their customers, so always build it towards your customers and you will be far better off.

By the way you are back on the second page for those keywords so the reason I stated could be the case, now take the advice above and make the changes.

Good luck

Paul
                      www.anxietynomore.co.uk
                      The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
                      Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
                      Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.

Comment

thanks again all, very useful feedback and advice,

just starting changes and looking forward to creating a better site,

cheers

Dave
                        Dave

Law of Attraction Books
                        Reiki Books

Comment

Black Hat?

Hi,

vasili mentioned the links on my home page www.themindconsultant.co.uk

I was wondering what was meant by this. I have nearly altered the whole site but wanted to understand this before I finished this part of the process.

Many thanks as ever for your help.

dave
                          Dave

Law of Attraction Books
                          Reiki Books

Comment

just to finish this thread off, i am back in google land, two weeks it has taken but with the changes made I am off and running again!

thanks for all your help

dave
                            Dave

Law of Attraction Books
                            Reiki Books

Comment

Working...
                            X