Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any advice for better keyword rankings??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Any advice for better keyword rankings??

First - your headline should replace where you have "Welcome" - that's totally unnecessary- wasting space and unprofessional. Tha'ts where I'd put your first h1 tag. You might have to size it - as h1 sizes itself - I generally make them a 4 - so
    <H1><font size="4">High income business opportunities for success</font></H1>
    I also corrected your closing h1 tag - you had it wrong.

The others - can be placed anywhere on the page where they will appear as a HEADING - think of a newspaper - look at all your yellow highlighting - those are headings - but not all of those have good keywords - therefore they shouldn't all get h tags.

Personally, I think having a google search box on the top of your page is a big mistake - that's just asking people to leave before they ever look further. Also - you don't have any header - who are you? What's your name - you need that to brand your site. See optimizing isn't going to do you any good if the site isn't going to keep the visitors and make you money.

Also, you need to give people the opportunity - all throughout your spiel on your homepage - to click to purchase - I never saw anything asking me to start now - clickable - I had to look for where to go - believe me - people won't go looking - it has to be obvious.
    You probably won't want to hear this either - but having all the Google adwords, etc running down the right of the page - is all affiliate advertising. It's well known that sites either do well as an affiliate - or selling their own product, but very rarely as both. I suggest if you want to have them - you make a page for them - don't lose the people before they read your own page. Give people a chance to purchase your own product.
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

hello....

hi bethers, i redid my front page and deleted the main index in hopes of ending the firefox problem witch didnt solve anything :( you said the last time you added my ending "tag" on to my page. i think it has been lost and would appreciate the info on were and how to install it again.
      (you had told me you installed it for me. remember)

thanks
      malcolm1

Malcolm Pender

Comment

You will place your h tags on the page where the headline would go - using an html box. They should be headlines. What you have will work fine - you might need to tell it what size text you want - otherwise it will automatically size it according to the number h tag you use. They will automatically be bold and they will have space between them and your next element automatically.

H tags are not vital - but if you don't use them - make sure that you make the headlines stand out so that they are recognized by the se's as headlines - using bold and larger text. The h tags tell them they are headlines.

I am going into my emails - because I have to differ with Pet on some points - particularly regarding feeling that meta is important. Very little of the meta information is used anymore - this is from the article "Top 10 SEO Myths" -

Top Ten SEO Myths
        By Andy MacDonald
        Ever wonder what the biggest SEO myths are? I have taken the most prevalent myths that seem to be constantly resurfacing and examined them for you. This is a must read for anyone looking to hire an SEO firm or someone looking to do SEO for themselves.

Myth # 1: All Meta Tags Are Of Equal Importance Some Meta tags are useful while others are not. I have stated this many times. Search engines are relying more and more about what is on the website than what the tags are telling them. The description tag is used by some (but not all) search engines. The same goes for the keyword tag. Keyword tags are used more by spammers and people using software to find you as a link partner than the search engines. In my opinion, the only tags you should concentrate your efforts on are the robot tag and the description tags.

You can find all their archived articles here:
        http://www.sitepronews.com/archives.html

Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
        SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hello....

Thank you bethers I have figured it out and have added them.

All i can say about the meta issues is this.......

A little over a month has passed and i have watched my website slowly climb down the ALEXA rankings (which is great) I was at 5 million and something, and have just gotten under 1 mil after using all the tips and tricks that were provided to me by everyone here.

"And am very grateful to everyone here"

I have applied.....

"Proper grammer on Page"
          "Keyword tags"
          "meta tags"
          "ALT tags or Image tags"
          "Description tags"
          "H1-H3 tags"
          "Text Links"
          "Sitemap"
          And a Few others....

Everytime i have added "something or another" to my pages my "Alexa ranking" has dropped and i have seen more and more traffic to my site. I understand that many of these principles that i have added might not be used by "Google" but many other engines do still use these, and i personally believe that while the other engines look up to google for advice or better classification for their own listings, Google uses all info gathered by other engines for its own data and in the end is influenced by them as well.

So to make a long story short... I believe "ALL" tags are still worthy to some extent of being added to any website. "It cant hurt to add any of them"
          I also read "sitepronews" and a many others but have figured everyone has their own ideas of what works and what dont.

Now i have just recently started my popularity campaign "so to speak" and have watched my pages get listed higher in most of the search engines as well as lower my alexa ranking also. i have a little over 150 links now some 5-6 PRs and my website has moved up somewhat considerably.

(Whos Right and Whos Wrong)... is i guess up to the "Google Gods"

Either way im still a happy camper and wish to thank YOU for all the help.

thank you
          malcolm1
          http://www.biz-giant.com

Malcolm Pender

Comment

Hello....

Thank you bethers I have figured it out and have added them.

All i can say about the meta issues is this.......

A little over a month has passed and i have watched my website slowly climb down the ALEXA rankings (which is great) I was at 5 million and something, and have just gotten under 1 mil after using all the tips and tricks that were provided to me by everyone here.

"And am very grateful to everyone here"

I do remember what you said about not to worry about alexa rankings BUT its very helpful in seeing your results as alexa reposts their data every 3-4 days,and you can see whats really happening in real time.

I have applied the following to my website .....

"Proper grammer on Page"
            "Keyword tags"
            "meta tags"
            "ALT tags or Image tags"
            "Description tags"
            "H1-H3 tags"
            "Text Links"
            "Sitemap"
            And a Few others....

Everytime i have added something to my pages my "Alexa ranking" has dropped and i have seen more and more traffic to my site. I understand that many of these principles that i have added might not be used by "Google" but many other engines do still use these, and i personally believe that while the other engines look up to google for advice or better classification for their own listings, Google uses all info gathered by other engines for its own data and in the end is influenced by them as well.

So to make a long story short... I believe all tags are still worthy to some extent of being added to any website. "It cant hurt to add any of them"

Now i have just recently started my popularity campaign "so to speak" and have watched my pages get listed higher in most of the search engines as well as lower my alexa ranking also. i have a little over 150 links now some 5-6 PRs and my website has moved up considerably.

"Whos Right and Whos Wrong"...... is i guess up to the "Google Gods"

Either way im still a happy camper and wish to thank you for all your help.

thank you
            malcolm1
            http://www.biz-giant.com

Malcolm Pender

Comment

Glad to hear you are moving up (or in Alexa's case down) the rankings.
              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

I'm just starting my site but I would love to take all these things into consideration from the beggining rather than have to change them.... If I knew what on earth you were talking about in half of them. I'm very new to this all but I really want to get a good business site up and going so if any of you have a moment to jot me a note on what these ratings are I would really appreciate it!

Comment

Hi everyone,

We (John and Ruth) are new to the forum, we've been reading the messages here but are a bit overwhelmed with the amount of info (beginers). Our site is www.runesandreadings.com . If anyone could make some suggestions as to good first steps with tagging it would be a huge help to us! Look forward to hearing from you,

many thanks, Ruth and John
                  Mystical Curiosity Shop

Comment

Hi

Can anyone point in the right direction to find out how to add h tags and where I put them?

Thanks
                    kp

www.pooleyenterprises.com

Comment

kp - h tags are headlines - look at any newspaper - and every headline is an h tag - with the top headline to the paper being an h1 tag.

So, if you were to put information on your home page as I recommended in another thread - above all that information you could place an h1 tag stating what you do - then a paragraph of text to follow. If you have more paragraphs that could have their own headings realistically - you could then use h2-h6 tags.
                      Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                      X