Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a competition using BlueVoda????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How about a competition using BlueVoda????

Hi Beth, the only reason I was thinking of no images, is that I will put everyone that wants to try on a level playing field & maybe bring a little imagination to a page. It was only to start with & see how things progress.

Hi Ann, I hope you find make different & share it with us all. I am sure there is a lot more can be done with BV with a bit of creativity. The page I made on this http://www.collectors-info.com/testing/shapes1.html was all single images & took ages to load. So tried to cut a section out of the page to make a background image, but wasn’t very successful. So ended up with putting a single diamond shape as the background of a table & placed a few of these on the page. Loads a lot quicker now.
    And this that type of thing that may also benefit newbie’s.

Hi Lady, got some good ideas there. I am not sure it can be done without creating a site or not, but this is the reason for the post.
    I’m not sure if we can make a forum post look right for this type of thing.
    So just as a suggestion, how about using your idea and we all make own pages on our own sites but with a communal index that any of us can have on our own sites linking to all the other pages of BV showcases. This may then end up as a nice little link for everyone.
    So anyone can have a page similar to this http://www.collectors-info.com/sitemap.html (something simple) on there site with all the BV showcases pages. But then place a link in your signature on the forum saying? (Bluevoda showcase page) This text link would have standardised but the back end link would go to the BV showcase index on each person’s site. .

Hi Liz
    , every bit of input is always good as it can lead to some nice ideas. I think any pages that end up on this index must be placed there by some sort of vote as we may end up with a very poor showcase. And anything that is associated with it must have a common theme so visitors don’t get lost. IE: if I have an index on my site for the BV showcase & someone clicks on a link in the showcase index it must look the same on the next site they arrive at. Otherwise I think everyone will be getting lost. Ohps! I didn’t say this relates to the paragraph above.

Keep the idea’s coming.

PS. My apologies David, I have just seen that your site is called showcase. Will have to have a think??????
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I think the minute there is a voting we lose the point of it as a learning experience.

If a person can post something they tried, whether or not it meets anyone elses standard, then other people could maybe suggest other possible ways to do it, then we can all learn from it.

Or if you were trying to do something and couldn't quite do it, you could show what you did and ask for help, much as we do in the forum with words..

I may be in the minority here, but I flat don't want to compete, and jurying the pages shared sounds a lot like a competition.

Maybe showcase isn't the right word, either..or maybe I am overthinking..

okay no more soapbox for me...LOL
      Liz
      www.sebastopolparty.com
      www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Originally posted by larazovich
        I think the minute there is a voting we lose the point of it as a learning experience.

If a person can post something they tried, whether or not it meets anyone elses standard, then other people could maybe suggest other possible ways to do it, then we can all learn from it.

Or if you were trying to do something and couldn't quite do it, you could show what you did and ask for help, much as we do in the forum with words..

I may be in the minority here, but I flat don't want to compete, and jurying the pages shared sounds a lot like a competition.

Maybe showcase isn't the right word, either..or maybe I am overthinking..

okay no more soapbox for me...LOL
        Hi, you are quit right, but I am not sure how to control the quality of info. As you say, it would be nice to not have a vote, maybe anyone that wants a posting would have to post the info on there site in a certain way that that is universal for every one to get a listing .
        There would have to be some sort of template to describe how something was done that everyone could stick to. IE:
        • Do this
        • Then this
        • Then this & so on until you have this..
        Keep the ideas coming it can only help.
        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Will if i can't use Flash, Koolmoves, My menus, scripting, coffee cup, and all the rest then i'm not playing,
          how can i win with a blank page ( not fair )

Comment

You can always use your imagination with a blank page, you cant with flash....
            Have fun
            Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
            Newbies / Beginners Forum
            FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
            My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
            Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Aliens, we couldn’t leave you behind. So we knocked up a spare space ship for you. The triangles are loading it up right now?
              Sorry about the Ramses III look to it but it used to belong to an Egyptian.
              Take care of it. Its only done 100000000000000000000000000000000000 miles. & just been serviced. http://www.collectors-info.com/testing/space.html

Cheers.
              Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

LadyEye's suggestion has more merit, and offers more opportunities to encourage and be of contributory nature for all of us, if developed a bit further:

For Instance, using the format twisted off the old "chain-story" idea (you know, the party game where a person begins telling a story with a sentence, and passes on to the next?) where a person creates a unique page (and has a single underlying page to describe the techniques used to create the 'story page'), and then the next person has a go......this way, it becomes a Community project, unique in every right (the perfect demonstration of how perspectives can be illuminated), non-competitive (for it is truly contribution-based), and is a learning experience (from all the tricks and techniques being explained and even providing links for utilities used).

Doesn't this sound a little more interesting (and more harmlessly entertaining) than as earlier discussed???

The suggestion also that these innocuous pages be hosted in the background of each creator's VH accounts is also the best way to keep it truly a "VodaHost Community Project" without burdening any one person or skewing the 'control' of it in any way. It would only require possibly a similarly published "Sign-Up" page, to list each page creator, and to properly link to the next.....in lieu of any prescribed "format" or "storyline", right??

** This type of "ghosted" page essentially acts as a reciprocol link also, and might provide some benefit to sites in which they are "hosted" as well, again adding to the strategy of what to do on the page (as far as elements of construct) and which account/domain to "host" it in: more creative expression by the participant (which might be simply a requirement to add to the text of the underlaying "Construction" page mentioned above??).

I would count myself in on this type of a project, but even yet shy from other dubiously "organized" VH collaborations, for whatever reasons...

Hmmm....and on we go.....
                . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

(Wanted to add, but got timed out)

This would offer a number of neat benefits to "newbies" also, as they become more familiar with those Members of the VodaHost Community going from page to page, site to site, gobbling up all the different expressions of perspective, and techniques possible, with different technologies available to them also........creating a more encouraging enviornment ("I remember that person's page from the VodaVolume!"*), a more supportive feeling overall rather than being overwhelmed ("If I can do it, so can you" spirit), and actually provide some inspiration/explanation/demonstration/practical application of the things we babble about so commonplace that go in one ear and out the other of those who really are listening hard but do not understand the language!!!

Ya think?

*Merely a suggested name....

Comment

Well stated , as always, Eric.

and Welcome Back!
                    Liz
                    www.sebastopolparty.com
                    www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Eric, you make a lot of sense in the way that this could be organised or setup, and I would be happt to join in.

I dont think that there was any need to post this kind of remark though
                      " dubiously "organized" VH collaborations"

Everyone who has contributed to this thread has just been trying to help and to get something like this off the ground.

Keep the ideas coming...............
                      Have fun
                      Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                      Newbies / Beginners Forum
                      FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                      My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                      Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

I was just thinking about this the other day... I think it's a fantastic idea!

Comment

Hi all. Thanks for the extra input. all idea’s are being taken onboard.
                          See if this may sound right & getting a bit nearer .

1.Create an index page that is common for everyone that will be broken down into categories & sub categories. This will be the form of single page in 2 styles.
                          1. For iframe use that should be no wider than 590 to enable flexibility.
                          2. A full page something like this. Normal style, Iframe style.
                          This index/menu page could be managed by lets say 4 of the forum members. Let’s call them (Admin).

2. Once we getting a few pages made up. Each user will then be able to place a link on the forum in there signature direct to a particular page or to the common index that they will have on their site.

3. Any one will be able to have this index/menu page on there site & will be available from the choice of a downloads from any of the admin sites & if pos the Vodahost forum. The 4 Admin persons will also make the menu available for others wishing to use a direct link for use of an iframe. Anyone using this method will have the benefits of the menu being updated automatically by one of the four admin. NOTE: All links will have to be targeted for –top.

4. Create a single page called? “how to do this” to form a common template that all users should use to help keep some form of uniformity across all sites. Colours can be changed to blend in with their site, but the layout should stay constant. These templates will be available from all admin sites & if pos the Vodahost forum as a download.
                          5. Each index page should also have a form or email links to the 4 admin to enable amendments/updates to the main index, plus also the facility to a report broken links. Once again this could be done via an iframe with one common form hosted from one of the admin sites.

So! what this boils down to!. Is all contributors should be able to place at least 2 pages on there site.
                          1. A main index page relating to the common project with only one link back to there
                          own index. This common page or link will be supplied by the admin.
                          2. A single page (Or more) to host one of their help/how to do this with BV items page.
                          These page templates will be supplied by admin via downloads ready to fill in the
                          fields & publish.

Working on some ideas for the templates. But may take a day or so.

Keep the comments coming? Sorry it’s a long read.
                          Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

So....you are nixing the idea to keep the project creatively-based, and want it to appear as more of a "showcase" of individual pages as you first suggested?

There would be a need for a static "index" page as I mentioned, yes, to not only describe the "project" and set the design "paramteters" but act as a "Starting" place from which all contributed pages are linked......and the "underlaying" page to provide full details on how the Page was constructed, some of the "logistics" considered when preparing the design, and some comments on the use/implementation of any features or utilities (if any).
                            You mention of an iFrame menu makes sense: it would be the only required element to be *******ted throughout all pages, as it can be updated universally as well upon each new page addition.

I do not feel comfortable with the idea of using prescibed "templates" however, as it defeats what I feel is the very purpose of the "Project": to demonstrate the varied perspectives and creative applications of technologies available to all VHers......surely you might wish to re-think this one, Chris, or modify your proposal to mitigate my understanding?

Comment

I was rather looking forward to an engaging little project along the "build-a-story" fashion.....being non-competitive and requiring more than BV expertise (or showmanship) it would be open to more people to have fun with and learn from at the same time.....Oh well!

>> Dave: This is why I used "dubious" earlier....as in 'doubtful' or 'ill-defined' and not the obviously misunderstood usage alleged as in 'questionable or deceptive'.....

Comment

I think asking any of the new people to make a page in an iframe might mean you lose some beautiful pages they might be able to design in BV - and that loses the whole point.

I also don't agree with the pages being hosted on one site. If you wanted to have a page with links to all the pages, that people host themselves, which I think is what Vasili is saying, then that would make more sense - and the author of the page would retain complete control of the page - which they should.

And in no way should there be any ranking on pages. As soon as it feels competitive that way, it would lose everything it might have going for it.

As always, simplicity is the best. Getting mired down will lose the whole point.
                                Beth
                                A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
                                SEO - The Basics

Comment

Working...
                                X