Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: PHPBB2 upgrading problems?

Originally posted by Sadain View Post
    I forget what the page looks like but, it is a PHP error page.

Basically, I would like to back up the threads, posts, members list, without backing up the program files.... so I can install the new version then restore the back up, without alos restoring the program files. If I do a full back up, install the new forum then try to bak up and restore the forum reverts back to the previous version when it was backed up.
    It's doable, but a little tricky. Do a full backup and the import it into a new database separate from the forum. Call it Test or something.

Then, use the .jpeg I've attached and DROP all the tables with the red mark to the left of them.

Use the Export feature in phpmyadmin to export the newly revised database to your pc.

Now, do a fresh install of phpBB, either manually or through Fantastico.

Once installed, go to phpmyadmin and drop the tables that you didn't drop from the other database (the ones without red marks to the left of them).

Now, you can simply Import the database you most recently exported to your pc and it should populate the database with all the correct tables, leaving you with a fully upgraded forum but with all posts, members, etc intact.

Keep in mind that errors may occur with this method and you're always best off using the upgrade tools provided by phpBB, but it should work just fine. Just make sure you have backups of everything in case issues arise.

Also, if the database you exported to your pc times out when you try to import it, it's probably too large for phpmyadmin to handle, so you'll need the free utility Big Dump to do the import. It's very easy to use, just follow the instructions.
    Attached Files
    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Re: PHPBB2 upgrading problems?

thanx I'll try that out.

Comment

Working...
      X