Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clocks change for the UK next Sunday (Back 1 hour)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clocks change for the UK next Sunday (Back 1 hour)

grrrrrrrrrrrr .....what time is it?!! lol

Comment

I actually think we had a better summer this year than last year..

Comment

Originally posted by C L View Post
        grrrrrrrrrrrr .....what time is it?!! lol
        Ours change NEXT weekend. I dont know why they changed it.. but last year it became first sunday in NOV when it used to be last sunday in OCT.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
        1-302-283-3777 North America / International
        02036089024 / United Kingdom
        291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

(Karen, just to clarify, Hawaii doesn't have Daylight Savings. We're either two hours or three hours earlier than the West Coast depending on what time of the year it is). Anyway, all you people suffering the gusts of winter are invited to drop in anytime!

Tom
          CLAMcentral.com Children's Ministry resources
          CLAMcentral's Projects Blog
          CLAMbakeonline.com Family Fun

Comment

Well pfft.. i forgot Hawaii was one that didnt do it. It still affects you tho, even if your time doesnt change. Places in Arizona, California dont do it either. It drives me nuts. I wish we didnt do it at all anymore! I think the only ones it really matters to is farmers.. trying to get the most out of daylight.. but they dont farm much in most places in the winter..its ICE/SNOW covered.

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

ya .. ours won't move until next weekend, found that out today .. so for a week the time reduces to just 3 hrs between Canada and the UK .. but ah, just for one week .. lol ..

Ah ... there's no time like the present anyway .. regardless of the time ..

VodaHost

Your Website People!
              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Comment

The saddest part about this updated tradition is that the reasons for having daylight savings time can be alleviated by the local authorities in each area of the US. Schools in some places start early, some areas are governed by their economy, businesses start early,...farmers were never really affected...sunup is when ya start so...life has changed dramatically since the inception of this.

I believe that the daylight savings time should be on the same to do list as the electoral college...outdated polices to eliminate. Sadly enough, just taking care of these two outdated policies would do wonders to bolster Joe American to make the changes he needs.
                Karen Williams
                Your Belief is Your Reality

Comment

Originally posted by karenwms63 View Post
                  The saddest part about this updated tradition is that the reasons for having daylight savings time can be alleviated by the local authorities in each area of the US. Schools in some places start early, some areas are governed by their economy, businesses start early,...farmers were never really affected...sunup is when ya start so...life has changed dramatically since the inception of this.

I believe that the daylight savings time should be on the same to do list as the electoral college...outdated polices to eliminate. Sadly enough, just taking care of these two outdated policies would do wonders to bolster Joe American to make the changes he needs.
                  Hi, i to would love them to leave the times alone. But one thing we did find in the UK with having the time change was the reduction in road traffic accidents involving children going to school in the dark. (Theres always pro's & con's).
                  Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Exactly my point Chris...every area has daylight at a different time...make the LOCAL adjustments,

But to do so universally or in a widely diverse country like the US...NAH....

LOCAL school administrations ( of any country, city, village, etc.) should make policy for when schools in their area begins...instead of following the national standards.

And I have to say that if traffic accidents are the basis for policy, then I am seriously cringing at what the administrators are using for the basis of educational policies...seems to me that they should be considering the times convenient for the lowest paid jobs of their particular area...and that there should be a minimum amount of logic questions on any driver's license test that must be correctly answered to receive a license...

Local school times should be directly based on the demographics of their students...not what some dumb assed politician thinks...

and all it takes is enough voices for the right change...if your neighbor hasn't got the voice, then make yourself your neighbor's keeper...
                    Karen Williams

Comment

P.S. Logically, if you are unaware of what four thousand pounds (equals the average car in the US) going 35 miles per hour can penetrate, then how should you legally be allowed to control one? There are a serious amount of people on Earth who should never be allowed a license!!
                      Karen Williams

Comment

Traffic accidents was a thing that was discovered in the UK quite a few years ago when we decided to leave the clocks alone for a trial period. (Didn’t work at the time)
                        But it’s a slightly different decision for the UK in that we only have one time zone to worry about, so the decision affects everyone. (63mil of us on an island ½ the size of California.)
                        On the car 4000lbs part, I personally think everyone should start on a motorcycle. It teaches you a lot of respect for the road & the other idiots that you will meet out their. I believe with the many years of using a bike, it has kept me safe on the roads in the UK, EU & US with avoiding other idiots that drive, usually with a phone stuck in their ear..
                        Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

When was that trial period of not changing the clocks? I can't remember, and I'm pretty old.....!
                          Trish
                          www.Limebrook.com
                          www.MountainWalk.co.uk
                          www.MyBeardedDragons.co.uk
                          www.TucsonForBeginners.com
                          www.Pets4kids.info

Comment

Originally posted by limebrook1 View Post
                            When was that trial period of not changing the clocks? I can't remember, and I'm pretty old.....!
                            Beats me?? I am 'pretty old' too... and I don't remember that event? Please Chris enlighten us.

Also Chris, have to disagree about everyone having to start on a bike. There's enough bikers tearing around at 130 mph as it is (as shown on the news this week!!)

No, but I do think that everyone should be made to drive a coach, or a double decker bus, or a 45 foot rig and trailer so that idiot car drivers who try to cut one of these vehicles up on the inside whilst turning or going round a roundabout might get it in to their thick skulls why we take up so much room!!! Or why indeed we have no choice but to take 30 minutes to pass each other on the motorway LOL. (mind you there is a little bit of fun involved in there just to p*** car drivers off)!
                            Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Ah! it come's with age. lol

THE ROYAL SOCIETY FOR THE PREVENTION OF ACCIDENTS

The 1968/71 Experiment
                              In 1968, there was a three-year experiment when British Standard Time (GMT + 1) was employed all year round; the clocks were advanced in March 1968 and not put back until October 1971.
                              1 This period provided an opportunity to evaluate the effect of the daylight change on a number of things, particularly road accident casualties.
                              2 A Parliamentary review of the experiment reported that it was impossible to quantify a great many of the more important advantages and disadvantages of this time system and concluded that the final decision on whether to retain the system would rest largely on a qualitative judgement. The House of Commons debated the issue in December 1970 and voted against continuing the scheme by 366 to 81. The Summer Time Act 1972 was then enacted, embodying the current system of timekeeping. It is this Act, and the Orders made under it, that prevail today.
                              Campaigns in the Eighties
                              The Government continued to monitor views on summertime following the 1968/71 experiment and by 1987 concluded that public opinion was shifting in favour of more summertime. The Home Office commissioned a survey of interested groups who were asked to respond to the following five options:
                              Retain the status quo (summertime clock movements but still an hour ahead of Europe)
                              This was supported by the agricultural, forestry, construction, manufacturing and distributive industries
                              Harmonise the end date with other EC countries (at that time this was end September)
                              The steel, chemical and mineral industries and several companies trading in Europe, supported this. It was opposed by most others, particularly outdoor and Scottish workers as it would reduce the amount of afternoon daylight in October, when it is most needed. The tourist industry opposed this and felt that it would curtail their season to the end of September.
                              Extend summer time in February and November.
                              ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many of the bikers that go around at 130mph quite often learn the hard way to respect the road & others using it. But weather its a bike or car doing this speed, Its a bit like the analogy that guns kill people. its mostly people that kill people.
                              Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Ohhh.. that far back.. I was way way too young then to remember.

Chris, whether you ride a bike, drive a car, truck, bus... there are always idiots out there who can't drive (or shouldn't be driving) any of them. It's one of the reasons I gave up spending 11 hours a day on the roads.
                                Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Working...
                                X