No announcement yet.

Advice on a family dog...Which to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice on a family dog...Which to get?

Paul,

I don't have any experience with them but Sharon is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel sort of girl. She had one in the UK and left it with her friend when she moved here because she was a bit older and Sharon didn't think she would adapt well from England's clime to the upper Arizona desert (and I think she did the right thing.) As you know, we visited In May and saw 'Jasmine'. Sharon was afraid she wouldn't recognize her but she went nuts! Have a look...

Jasmine is a 'Blenheim', tan and white. When we move into our new home in a few months Sharon will have her new doggie. In order to not try and replace Jasmine we will be getting a 'Tri-color' that are black and white with tan around their eyes.

I was very impressed with Jasmine... she is a lovely dog. Sharon tells me the breed are known as companion dogs...very loyal, loving, gentle, good with all family members, not known to be yappy, and very non aggressive.
    Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

LOL... I'm more of a big dog kind of guy. My last dog was a black lab mix... to this day I'm not sure what else he had in him but he weighed 120 lbs, could 'fetch a stick' that was 8 inches in diameter and weighed 40 lbs, had a neck like a rhinoceros, ran between 5 and 20 miles a day with me up and down mountains and never lost a fight in a tough neighborhood ...

His name was Zeus and he lived to be 18 years old....
      Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

Originally posted by sedona View Post
        LOL... I'm more of a big dog kind of guy. My last dog was a black lab mix... to this day I'm not sure what else he had in him but he weighed 120 lbs, could 'fetch a stick' that was 8 inches in diameter and weighed 40 lbs, had a neck like a rhinoceros, ran between 5 and 20 miles a day with me up and down mountains and never lost a fight in a tough neighborhood ...

His name was Zeus and he lived to be 18 years old....
        That's a fair old age! I agree with you on the bigger dogs... don't get what it is with those 'rat sized' snappy little things...
        Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Oh, and Ramsey's right, collies are also lovely dogs.... my folks always preferred them. We had full sized ones when we were kids and after we'd grown up they had a couple of miniatures.... They're (miniatures) very loving but a little high strung for my taste.
          Ken

Comment

Ramsey, your Abbie is a good looking old girl....

After we get Sharon's new puppy settled in, since I finally have a little land I'm going to get my 'outside' dog to keep the mountain lions away... lol... don't know what he'll be yet but I wish I would have frozen some of Zeus' sperm....
            Ken

Comment

Originally posted by karel View Post
              My mother breeds these Eric, here is her website with her lovely dogs on.
              I always had Labs (Blonde, Black, Golden), but have come to think of Shelties as incredibly intelligent, loyal, great with kids and other pets, and just as emotionally complex as another person would be .... really a joy to have as companions!
              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Paul,

I don't have any experience with them but Sharon is a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel sort of girl. She had one in the UK and left it with her friend when she moved here because she was a bit older and Sharon didn't think she would adapt well from England's clime to the upper Arizona desert (and I think she did the right thing.) As you know, we visited In May and saw 'Jasmine'. Sharon was afraid she wouldn't recognize her but she went nuts! Have a look...

Shes lovely Ken, I will look into this breed also, I am still undecided as I did ring a lady up with an Australian sheepdog puppy and was all set to go down and have a look at him. But looking furthur into the breed and hearing from others who have them, they can be quite a handful and maybe just a bit too much for me. So it is back to the drawing board, but I do love the one above, I have come across them many timesa and they are very friendly and the quiet nature is a bonus.

I always had Labs (Blonde, Black, Golden), but have come to think of Shelties as incredibly intelligent, loyal, great with kids and other pets, and just as emotionally complex as another person would be .... really a joy to have as companions!
                Yes they are intelligent and very playful if there is more than one, its a mad house of running fur when I visit my mothers. I think she has around 7 at the moment. She breeds them and also shows them and the walls are full of medals and rosettes. More than anything it has given her a brilliant social life.
                www.anxietynomore.co.uk
                The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
                Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
                Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.

Comment

Originally posted by karel View Post
                  Well I have decided to get a dog, working from home I have a lot of time on my hands to take it for plenty of walks and I love to get out in the fresh air these days instead of the inside of a bar.

I want it from a puppy so I can train it properly and my mum is a breeder and has many contacts to get it from some reliable, so all that side is pretty much sorted. Now what breed?

A few pointers but not written in stone would be.....

Medium sized

Not a constant barker

Pretty energetic

Intelligent, easy to train

Loving, not aggressive

Can anyone come up with any ideas on to which breed may suit me, sometimes the best people to ask are the ones who have them or know someone who has. The only one I have come up with so far is the Australina Sheepdog, which looks like it would suit me pretty well.

Thanks for any ideas........Paul
                  I think you hit the nail on the head. I have had several of this breed. And every one of them were dear and never a problem. And they also make great babysitters...LOL!
                  Karen Williams
                  Your Belief is Your Reality

Comment

I have before this ONE it's great dog

Zlatko
                    www.mercataworld.com
                    www.marradonconstructions.com
                    www.ekm-inspirationalmusic.com

Comment

Originally posted by zc290549 View Post
                      I have before this ONE it's great dog

Zlatko
                      LOL...that's not a dog... that's a mop to clean the kitchen floor with?

Compare:-

Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Paul.. Whatever you get.. Please.. Oh please.. get this outfit:

Comment

Ha ha, hot dog Teri's my baby, hot dog drives me crazy, I love them, I love them but I already got mine.................

www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

Comment

lol.. i like that one lol.. Get a huge thing. yep. jump on its back and ride it through town. ha. boy wont you be the talk of the place lol.

Comment

Yer ride it through town, your imagination Teri I don't know.

What I need is........................

BATDOG

www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

Comment

LMAO
                                Batdogggg na nanananananana batdogggggg

Comment

Working...
                                X