No announcement yet.

Advice on a family dog...Which to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Advice on a family dog...Which to get?

Looks like that BatDog flew into one too many walls!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Originally posted by karel View Post

BATDOG

Batdog! Roflmao!
      Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

Looks like that BatDog flew into one too many walls!
        Yes Eric he does look a bit un-dimenional
        www.anxietynomore.co.uk
        The U.K's largest independent site for help with Anxiety and Panic issues.

Buy and Source Wholesale Make Up
        Up to 75% off Branded top end Make-up.

www.firstwebcall.com
        Affordable Website Design.

www.anxietynomore.co.uk/blog

The most active blog on anxiety on the net.

Comment

Paul have you decided on a dog yet?
          If not, I had a golden Retriever and that dog was like another kid in the family. She was trained as a therapy dog to work with sick and handicap kids. She slept with my daughter in her bed from the time she was a pup. i have a cocker now, and they are good dogs but I still miss the Golden!
          Mike

Any excuse for non performance only weakens the charactor

In God We Trust

Comment

Yah Golden retriever's are lovely...good dogs
            Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

I love goldaen retrievers and did think about having one.

Well I did get a dog last week.

A couple were moving abroad and put a 14 month old puppy in the paper. We rung up and she said she is house trained. So we went to see her and took her, she was lovely, it was some sort of cross but hard to tell.

Anyway she kept messing in the house, took her for loads of walks and she did nothing. I rung the lady and said 'She is not house trained, it can't be nerves as she has settled really well' She said 'When I meant house trained I meant she has her own spot, does she do it by the back door?'

So what she did was put paper down and a soakable blanket and let her do it in the house. She said 'We are out a lot so I can't leave her that long'. Firstly she should not have one if they are out all the time. But I had to take her back, she was just messing everyday. The lady rung another women who wanted to take her.

So back to the drawing board, I am going to now wait until after Christmas.
              www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

Comment

Yep.. too many dog owners shouldn't be!
                Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

I have Rotties and I love them..They are not big on barking, they are very loving..Easy to groom, loyal...did I mention Loving? Friendly as well loves other dogs, they will cry though when you loss one of their friends..They will miss the other a lot...
                  Easy for small apartment living, sleep a lot..Loves attention and long walks and most of the time are a real wussie..

Find a website that will explain all of the things that can sffect certain breeds..Cancer and stuff like that.
                  Sharon Chajin

Comment

I still need to formally introduce myself, but I had to jump in here. I used to do dog training, and got to work with many breeds. I agree completely about the Collies...noble, well-mannered dogs, and should do well with the exercise you described...I have a friend who worked all day and had 3 in her apartment. She was a trainer as well, and her dogs did quite well with the exercise she gave as well as the mental stimulation of weekly training classes. Wonderful, wonderful dogs.

I don't know if Shelties are different here in the States, but just about all I've trained have been high energy, very affectionate, SMART!!, but very yappy. The bloodlines might lend themselves to a quieter dog in the U.K., but if you were here I'd say stay away from a Sheltie if you don't want a barker.

Aussies (Australian Shepherds) are awesome dogs...they'll need that exercise, but for intelligence, energy, and trainability, they just about can't be beat.

All of those breeds will be shedders, however...be prepared.

And what do I have? Standard longhaired dachshunds...smart but stubborn; definitely a challenge to train but oh so much fun!

Good luck! Sounds like you've done your homework quite well and any dog would be lucky to have a home with you.

Kellye
                    Professional Advantage Resumes

Comment

Dude, uhh, Paul, my seventh grade teacher always said that your first inclination will prove to be the best choice for you! Australian shepherd is your dog, dude! They are easily trained, very loyal, love who you love, guard you when you are not sure (but they are not all rott weiler about it, just defend you in the event of an attack), love your kids and play silly games with them, guard your kids with a vengence, but all the while, they are yours because you master them...one helluva breed! I had two in my lifetime...a blond with one eye that looked like someone circled his eye with mascara, Buddy, and one who was charcoal grey with black splotches (not spots, but not patches) named "Bogie" for Bogart. They are a one man dog but if you bring them into a two person home (married couple), they are equally loyal for each of the couple. They easily adapt to inside or out. Very smart...most of what my dogs did, they learned by watching what pleased me.
                      Karen Williams
                      Your Belief is Your Reality

Comment

Karen decided to put the dog on hold until after Christmas, hope to move house and get bigger grounds for it to roam but I would love an Aussie dog, everything you say is what everyone else says.
                        www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

Comment

Merry Christmas, Paul! After all this input and your own instincts you're going to find the perfect match for you and your family. Good going and post pics....
                          Ken

If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys. Orson Wells

Comment

Here ya go Paul, and just think if gas prices go back up you could ride him.

Reguards
                            Ed
                            www.dsondesigns.com
                            www.marseillesyouthsports.com
                            www.300hitter.com
                            www.bigjk.net
                            How to add JAlbum to your site

Comment

OK ED how many kids a day does he eat?????????????????
                              Mike

Any excuse for non performance only weakens the charactor

In God We Trust

Comment

Here ya go Paul, and just think if gas prices go back up you could ride him.

Only got an x in a box I'm afraid
                                www.anxietynomore.co.uk

www.firstwebcall.com

Comment

Working...
                                X