Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: what if I dont like using Soholaunch?

Just a comment about Vasili saying you SHOULD try Soho for cart experience. I've now tried more carts than I want to name or think about - and I've learned I won't try them anymore without finding out if they'll do the things I need them to do. Soho's cart couldn't - and I wasted a LOT of time building with it - with a store that didn't look at all as good as what I could do with BV - before I discovered that. If it WILL do what you need it to do- then, by all means, give it a try.

I also feel you get better soho help here than you do on their own forum - and when you do try to get hold of help from Soho - they might take days (or longer) to answer that they can't do it or will charge mega-bucks for it. Now, if you're like Karen and feel comfortable doing lots of programming in the back-end yourself - you might be able to make all the changes yourself. She's customized her Soho store so much, you can't recognize it as Soho!
    Beth
    A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
    SEO - The Basics

Comment

Ahhh Bethers.....my feeling EXACTLY on the "lack"of support....when I was trying to use it, I was so frustrated by this and started to post a couple of times in threads where people asked which one to use, Soho or BV, to watch out for that support issue......but always changed my mind thinking I was just too inexperienced. Hearing you say it too makes me realize it is a valid concern, as you have WAY more experience than I do.

But i totally agree...and sorry Marnicky...it is something to take into consideration if you need alot of "support" then it may get frustrating to you...there just isn't alot of traffic on their forum and if you get stuck...well, you are stuck! I'm not trying to be negative about Soho support...but I definitley think it is not "user friendly" to people who are very inexperienced (like me!) at customizing, etc.

Having said that, you may want a totally different site than me that needs no customizing and in that case, I loved the way Soho worked and how easy it was to set up the store, etc. I would definitly recommend it to anyone who needs a store like the ones in their demo. It is the way to go if you are ok with their templates and such. For me, I just had too many variables.

Anyways, it just depends on what YOU need!
      still working on website!

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
        I try to keep things simple!

I don't know about Vassili's experience. Maybe i'm a bit left behind because i don't use Soho very often. But, in MY experience, you CANNOT manually install Soho in a folder. That's because the Soholaunch installation wizard will NOT allow you to install it in a user defined folder. It will ask for the DOMAIN to install soho in, so you need to first create a SUBDOMAIN for it.

You also don't need a folder in your computer, specifically for Soho, as soho is a serverside builder so everything is on the server.

So, the steps are:
        1. Create the SUBDOMAIN. Let's suppose you call it "soho".
        2. Go to Fantastico, and select Soholaunch. Click on "new installation".
        3. in the first steps you will be asked for the domain to install Soho in, answer, select "soho.yoursite.com" from the dropdown list.
        4. Click on install.
        "Sub-Domain/Sub-Folder"...it's really the same isn't it General?
        That is how I installed Soho in my account, which allows me to keep everything neat and tidy.....and it is the only simple way I can describe the installation process to those seeking to have a BV front-end without having them confused about how to create a folder/sub-domain, where to transfer it from, etc.

This little suggestion of setting Soho up this way in a "directory" all it's own to experiment with allows Marincky to uninstall it and install OsC similarly without messing up his whole account with his BV created Public_html directory (which would otherwise need to be reset, losing not only his earlier work - if not backed up beforehand properly - but also his email in the downtime). It is essentially the same setup as if you were going to "password protect" it, or if you were going to install a cart in a single account that had many different sub-doamains associated with it, correct?

If I am wrong, then I need to really know before I continue to offer my experiences to others....I am merely repeating my own personal processes.
        . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
        * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

No,it is absolutely NOT the same. A subfolder is on local (on the server) level, and only accessible with alink of the follwing type: http://www.yourdomain.com/subfoldername . A subdomain relies on the DNSsystem and is directly accessible as http://www.subdomain.yoursite.com .

A subdomain is recognised by the system as a domain, a subfolder is not.

And i really can't see how did you instal "manually" Soho in a "subfolder". Soho is single license and will require a DOMAIN for it to get installed.

I agree on keeping things clear and organised. I only disagreed with the instructions because not correct.
          Navaldesign
          Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Alrighty then!
            I will keep this quite clear from now on, and note the distinctions without fail to others in the future.

Ευχαριστώ!
            . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
            * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Eγώ Ευχαριστώ!

Your help to Soho users is very appreciated, and you are the most active member on the matter. So just thought that a small clarification would be useful. Thankyou again.
              Navaldesign
              Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Working...
              X