• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • choco777
    Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Re: Meta Tag / Key Word Help... Help!

Bethers,
    The link yuou gave me about sitereportcard showing the links broken etc. for a website...it shows 4 of 5 links broken..these links are to fotos and have neveer been linked to anything by me...could it be that they are used in a photo gallery...should I delete the gallery and use single photos placed on page...also if I spell spanish names such as mexico with the accent on the "e" it shows it as a mispelling...should I remove the accent? Thanks for your help, not many here talk about this and I think it is something dreaded but a must for all novices like me. What about the HTML warnings? A thread earlier ***** said not to wory about it, cannot remember of find the thread.
    Choco777
    www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

• Bethers
      Major General & Forum Moderator

• Feb 2006

For somethings - you don't have to worry - like the "misspelling" on something you're using with the accent. You and your customers know that isn't a misspelling and these programs aren't perfect.

I use the gallery feature for some pictures and the single photo feature for others - depending on how I want them to display and if I want them to be able to be enlarged (like you can do with the gallery pics when they are clickied on).

If it has a link that isn't working - it either needs to have the link removed or have a workable link included.
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

• choco777
        Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

If by checking properties can I find the link, because clicking on the 'pix won't do anything if link is indeed broken, so how do I find "themissing link"?
        Choco777
        www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

• glenmike
          Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Hey Royden!, Thanks! Mid to end of week was a tsunami of paper for me so haven't had a chance to interact with anyone. Your insight sounds right. I'll be 'digging' into this part of the project starting tomorrow a.m.

Ok, here's another question for you, or anyone who stops by...

My Page Titles should or should not reflect the main title,... examp:

New Mexico Rides! - Home Page
          New Mexico Rides! - Information About Us
          etc...

or

Home Page
          About
          Contact
          etc.

This will give me a starting point.

Thanks, Royden! Have a great weekend!

Poppi
          www.newmexicorides.com

Comment

• glenmike
            Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Bethers, LadyEye, Choco777... interesting stuff. I guess it just never occured to me that hiding words behind images, or intentionally misspelling the words is something that one might do to improve search engine results... folks really do this?

This has been very informative. I'll just stick with trying to do it right.

Poppi

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Poppi - just like anything else in life - people will try just about anything. Smart of you to stick with doing it right. In the long run, that's the smart thing.

For titles - on most pages, I suggest finding your best keywords for the page and using them first, followed by your name IF it will still fit. The page titles do NOT have to reflect the navigation link to the page, but that does make sense most of the time. Not much else to do for your pages like About Us or Contact Us - but at least you can use your name also, as you showed, and that helps to brand your name.

On pages with important keywords - use those in your title. For example, I just added some new pages on www.achildspalace.com - the page is on the road bedding - www.achildspalace.com/ontheroadbedding.html - but my title on the page is "Kids On the Road (Planes, Trains and Trucks) Theme Bedding" - I left out "at A Child's Palace" on that title because I felt it was already long enough and I prefer getting those keywords in.

Hope that helps (and that page just went live - is brand new :) )
              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Choco, if it's a BV page - go into the page in BV and have it check the page for missing links - otherwise, tell me the page again, and I'll have a look at it for you.
                Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                SEO - The Basics

Comment

• choco777
                  Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Bethers,
                  one link show broken on www.mayatabasco.com/maya_tours.html
                  it is .../bv/nueva this sounds like a pix that was on a gallery that has be deleted, but I never linked to it.

The net is www.../mystical_chiapas.html
                  show four links failed and all of them are the pix in the gallery...never been linked to.

If I leave them does it bode bad for me with SEs? Are pics considered linked to a gallery?
                  Choco777
                  www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Choco
                    On the maya tours page - something unrelated - you have the links set to be white after they've been seen - which means if I click the text links then come back to the page - I can't see those words anymore - not a good idea!!!

At the bottom of the page, you have a link to the bv websites - it gives me popups (I hate those) and then it doesn't allow people back to your site. If that page is going to refuse to allow the back button (and it does) you don't want to link to it.

You also have at least 2 instances of a red x from "showcases of blue voda sites on this page - where you need to delete these - I don't even think you know there are there - probably are behind other elements on the page - but makes for bad displaying. Those are red x's on the other page mentioned here also. BTW, it's nice that you want to credit BV and VH - but it's not professional to do it the way you are with those - and this is meant to be a professional site - you want to sell your vacation packages.

Also - get rid of the "under construction" symbols - why are they there? If someone should happen to find the site - do you want them to click off because you might still have work to do? Those just aren't worth having there.

If the gallery was deleted - they wouldn't be saying there's a broken link - which means it's something still on the page.

By the say - putting in a url with ... in it - doesn't help you - I can't click it and that's an example of a broken link :) - SE's do not like broken links - but the 4 images in the gallery feature are all linked and working properly - so that's not the problem. I'm guessing there's something else underlying that's the problem. Maybe how you have your pictures named - but I can't be sure here.

I had to quit looking, because you have sound on the website and I couldn't turn it down or off - even though you have a control. It was annoying to others in my house - and I have my sound set very low - but don't want to have to run to my computer controls to turn off sound on a website - you'll need to get that control working. I couldn't stop the sound or pause it - no matter what I clicked on it didn't change.
                    Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                    SEO - The Basics

Comment

• choco777
                      Brigadier General

• Apr 2006

Thanks Bethers,
                      Most of those things I was oblivious to, so I'll tear them apart and find the problems, the white text ??? When I check the page sound worked fine. Constructions was advise from forum so I get on the faulty pieces and put it back together, Thanks again you are invaluable to the forum and liked to see you wpend so much time helping as you did today. Sorry about the family.....hope they recovered from the souds.
                      Choco777
                      www.mayatabasco.com

Comment

• glenmike
                        Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Thanks, Bethers! Your comments suggest a bit more flexibility (creativity) when titling a page than I was allowing myself. Good stuff. Many thanks for your time.

Poppi

Comment

• Bethers

• Feb 2006

Poppi and Choco - you are both welcome

And Poppi- thanks for being so good about your thread being shared with Choco's questions, too.

Creativity is always a good thing - when used correctly.
                          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                          SEO - The Basics

Comment

• zigzag
                            Captain

• Apr 2006

Ho Poppi,
                            By "title" I didn't mean the menu title, I was referring to the title in Page Properties. Sorry, I didn't make myself clear.
                            Royden

www.harrow-art.com
                            www.harrow.co.za

Comment

• LadyEye
                              General & Forum Moderator

• Jun 2006

Sorry to butt in here, but I have a question for Bethers and hope she will find it here. Bethers, when you refer to the link changing colors once clicked and going back to the page and then it be another colour which can't be seen, - my question is ... Do you change this on the page properties, or is there another place as well that you need to change this? One day I thought I had seen another place, and thought oh there is where you do that, but now I cannot find it again? Do you know, or maybe I had a dream? Thanks, if you can let me know where this is done so that I can check all of mine .... thanks .. and thanks poppi and choco too ...

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                              1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                              02036089024 / United Kingdom
                              291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

• glenmike
                                Master Sergeant

• Aug 2006

Hi Royden! Understood. Thank You!

To All: Feel free to share whatever here. I'm learning along with everyone else. All of this has helped me understand the 'background' issues necessary to put a complete site together. Excellent stuff, all!

Everyone have a great weekend!

Interesting side note: I did an internet search for my own page last night. And I DID get to New Mexico Rides! Guess what?.... it was this forum! Strange!!! (:>) Oh well, that was a start... LOL

Poppi
                                www.newmexicorides.com

Comment

Working...
                                X