• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Site Review

How are you!!?

Nice site, as always!
    Question:
    How do you make your background in a way that you can have 2 colours? Using a table or a picture? I think it's impossible with a table (only 1 colour per cell). If it's a picture how do you manage the right positioning (ending where the menu bar is)?

Here is your site I'm refering to:

Cheers,
    N Z B R
    t o u r s
    New Zealand Tours
    Excursiones en Nueva Zelanda
    Nova Zelandia Pacotes e Roteiros
    Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
    Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

Originally posted by nzbr View Post
      How are you!!?

Nice site, as always!
      Question:
      How do you make your background in a way that you can have 2 colours? Using a table or a picture? I think it's impossible with a table (only 1 colour per cell). If it's a picture how do you manage the right positioning (ending where the menu bar is)?

Here is your site I'm refering to:

Cheers,
      Hi NZBR,

As soon as I'm happy with a websites template I take a length ways slice, which I use as the background... this gives the site 'that full page feel' regardless of what size screen a visitor is using. Maybe pull the website into BV (file>>new page>>from existing>>internet) to have a better look. The positioning of elements (navigation etc) is all worked out during that all important and often neglected "planning stage".

Hope that helps
      Cheers,
      Andrew

sigpic

Port Elizabeth Web Design Solutions
      Latest Release: Eastern Cape Hunting Safaris
      Work In Progress Cape Town Dietician
      BlueVoda Web Design Portfolio

Comment

Hi Andrew,

But how you "take a length ways slice, which I use as the background" ? Do you draw it first in corel draw or photoshop?

Cheers,
        N Z B R
        t o u r s
        New Zealand Tours
        Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
        Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

Hi Andrew,

But how you "take a length ways slice, which I use as the background" ? Do you draw it first in corel draw or photoshop?

Cheers,
          Hi NZBR

I use Photoshop CS4 but there are some cheaper or free options available which will give you the ability to slice. You would have noticed that I slice my templates quite a bit, in order to help page loading speeds as well.

Cheers,
          Andrew

sigpic

Comment

Thanks Andrew,

I've been trying for a while now and I simply can't make only 2 horizontal draws. I explain: when I draw it using corel draw (similar to your site: 1 colour on the top and one underneath it) I right click on it and 'save as bitmap'. Now I have a jpeg. The I go to BV and: right click>>>properties>>background and 'import' this image. BUT it comes up with lots of lines. Now I don't have 2 colours any more. But these 2 x ...the lenght of the page!! Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
            N Z B R
            t o u r s
            New Zealand Tours
            Nouvelle Zelande Voyage
            Neuseeland Reisen

Comment

Andrew, you are The Master! The full page look is very clever... very clever!
              Don't aim for success if you want it; just do what you love and believe in, and it will come naturally.

Comment

Thanks Andrew,

I've been trying for a while now and I simply can't make only 2 horizontal draws. I explain: when I draw it using corel draw (similar to your site: 1 colour on the top and one underneath it) I right click on it and 'save as bitmap'. Now I have a jpeg. The I go to BV and: right click>>>properties>>background and 'import' this image. BUT it comes up with lots of lines. Now I don't have 2 colours any more. But these 2 x ...the lenght of the page!! Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!
                Hi NZBR,

My Coreldraw has me confused as well... as I get similar results.

This is what I do in Photoshop:
                1. Design full template and background (including the header or other horizontal bars)
                2. I slice the template for better load time etc
                3. Save full template for web & devices (.jpg quality 60) for an easy kb's size reduction with little to no quality loss (save as html & images)
                4. Crop the page length ways (nice and narrow) and save as above except as an image only for use as background image in BV (remember to remove slices before or you'll have more that one background image)
                5. Import html into BV: file>>new page>>from existing html
                6. Import background image in BV page properties

Thats it... a full page look in BV
                Andrew

sigpic

Comment

Andrew, so thats how you do those backgrounds?? Cheers, you have taught us all something new, well me anyway..lol.

Still loving your site. I bet your client is well chuffed??

Darren
                  Happy Building

DarrenC

Comment

Working...
                  X