6 months work, would love some feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 6 months work, would love some feedback

Wow, thankyou all for the great response and sorry it has taken me so long to get back int the forum to check for replies. You've all given me some good advice that will allow me to go back and review a few things. Will read through again and give some direct replies.
    Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by ahimsa View Post
      Ditto all above...not enough time to check all of it but one thing jumped out at me on your home page:
      "...in the annuls of..."

should be annals
      good luck,
      david

Thanks David, have anulled the spelling mistake, lol.
      Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Boulette View Post
        I clicked on two links that didn't work : when I clicked on Papier mache and on Pinatas, I was back to the index page.
        Also, it's a shame the other sites' publicities are the first things I saw on some pages (see Activities and Games) so I had to go down the page to see your actual page. I actually thought for a second that your site was advertising for all the others.
        But I really liked the look of your site! Very well done!
        Thanks Boulette,

Yes, when I began building the site I had no idea of it's potential size, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. A friend told me it was a bad thing to have links that go to pages that are yet to be built, but I forgot about those two, so thankyou for reminding me. Will remove them tomorrow.

With the placement of the google adsense ads, I placed them there on the recommendation of another adsense user who felt it was important to have them in the first spot on the page. But I agree, it doesn't look that good so I am gradually moving them over to the right to make room for the text right from the top. Thanks for the helpful feedback :)
        Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by debs View Post
          your templates great howd you make it, and the site is good.
          Hi Debs,

Well, basically just started with a blank page and popped in some shapes.
          I have a big rectangle for the background and a long rectangle as the side bar. I used to have another wide rectangle as the header, but it has evolved over the last 6 months to what it is today which is an image I put together in photoshop. The buttons are selected from the choices offered in bluevoda's navigation menu I think.
          Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by profitandlasvegas View Post
            You've done a nice job and your site looks professionally designed. The only feedback that I would have is that your ads seem to be in weird places. For example, you have text talking about your product and then you have several ads. Then after the ads your text continues. It kind of throws off my concentration while reading your text to have to skip over ads to then continue reading the text. Perhaps you can have just one area where your ads are places so that it does not interfere with your text. Just my humble opinion.
            Hi Jeff,

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I have found it really difficult to decide where the best place is for the google adsense in particular, and as with all things related to this business there is some conflicting advice out there about best practice which makes it hard for us newbies. I never stop thinking about this issue. Thanks for your feedback :)
            Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by mmorris View Post
              hello, your site looks good, but i have a question.i'm working on my first site at the moment and looking for the best way to install a shopping cart, i like how on yours you can just continue to add product to the cart, if you don't mind how did you find that option?
              Hi Mmorris, thanks, unfortunately i haven't actually installed a shopping cart as such. I have an affiliate store front for the party supplies which was just a simple case of entering the html provided by them and letting them take care of the rest. I will be looking into a shopping cart in the future though as I have had a lot of interest in my invitation and a few orders via email which makes me think I should set up some sort of shopping cart facility of my own. Wish I could help you more, perhaps we shall bump into each other in another thread about that particular topic. :)
              Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by adir_sharon View Post
                Super job! I look the colors! Tried pink myself for my dog training, walking hikingm running, and pet-sitting site but it didn't work quite well. I know how long and frustrating it can be to make your site perfect! Especially when picking colors! I'm still not sure about mine and been at it also for about 6 months - now I need to fill in the context and have someone proof read it. can't tell you how many times I've change the colors, layout, and so on. Therefore I hope my input will help as I am sure fresh eye find things you didn't. It happens to me all the time - others telling me things I just can't see anymore.

Perhaps it is by your design but the bottom test links look weird with the space between the links starting with the home page and the links starting with the planning tips.

Hope this helps

p.s.

If you could look at my site and tell me what the color scheme and layout speak to you I would really appreciate it. It seems you will have the input I have been searching for a long time!
                Hi Adir, thanks for the feedback. Your site is REALLY great, very professional looking. I like the blue background as it makes the site fresh and crisp, and Henry is a handsome boy (love dogs). In fact i think the fact that Henry is white is why I like the blue background, I get the feeling he is guiding us through the site so it's important the site matches him.

Personally I think some of the text areas would be easier on the eye if the specing between lines were a little wider, can we do that in BlueVoda, I'm not sure, perhaps it is the font that makes the lines seem too close together.

I also like the width you have chosen for your page, (I even find it hard to decide on that). I was originally told 800pixels was the optimum width, but it never looked right so I have now widened mine to 900pixels, but am considering making it wider again. Its just so much work, would be great if I could change the width in one page and all the others changed with a click of a button!

I know what you mean about trying to decide on colours, it takes ages to come up with a combination you are happy with. I think I have finally found the right one for mine. Proof reading is a painful task and yes it definately helps to have other people proof read as we just don't see our own spelling mistakes. You have a big site so it will be a big task so perhaps focus on one section at a time. I get my friends and family to check a single page for me, but even then things still slip through and I also get confused sometimes between american spelling and english spelling.

I only just added my links at the bottom of the page. I thought to keep the admin links seperate from the actual content, but am still not sure if I am happy with it. Thanks for reminding me to give it some more thought.

Cheers

Sarah
                Sarah

Comment

PS Adir, is Henry a white german shepherd? He really does look like a lovely dog and the pics of him throughout your site are a lovely addition to the content.
                  Sarah

Comment

Newbie,

Wow! No wonder it took 6 months, the work really shows.

Congratulations

Comment

Thanks Newbie. I'm having a lot of fun with it, but then I do love dabbling with design stuff and since getting photoshop my header has improved ten fold. :)
                      Sarah

Comment

Working...
                      X