Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get my excel page to work at ALL??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can't get my excel page to work at ALL??

Oh dear, what is this Voda TV Presents ...?
    Did I click something wrong?
    Regards
    Royden

www.harrow-art.com
    www.harrow.co.za

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
      Ok, you are a bit confused. Let me explain:

Excel files, as any type files, can have their functionality intact as long as the visitor has the same software. So your visitor must hae Excel installed in order to be able to work with an excel file, Word if he needs to download and work with a Word file, and so on.

So:
      1. Save your ROI file in Excel's native format. There is no need to zip it.
      2. Use a simple, one word name (as you have done, naming it "ROI")
      3. Upload this file on your site. Do NOT convert it in HTML
      4. Link directly to the file: so your link will be http://www.haydell.com/ROI.xls

That's all. If your visitor has excell installed on his computer, by clicking on the link, Excel will open with the file already infront of him.

YOU are a complete life saver -- this answer is the one I've been waiting for. It WORKED!! After three days and lots of DIFFERENT answers, "to zip it" and to do this and do that, this was all I wanted - thank you so much.

Now, is this all I have to do with ANY FILE?? Just upload it to the public_html folder and it will do the same thing for PDF's and all???

Thanks again - I appreciate it.

Katie C

Comment

Yes, as long as the visitor has the relevant software installed on his computer. If he doesn't, he will be prompted to "save" the file, i.e. to download it from your site and save it on his computer, but he won't be able to open the file.

Also please note that there is no readon to have the PDF's, XLS or other files in your public_html. I have more than 30 PDF's on my site, aprox 50 DWG files (Autocad), and, in order to keep everything organized, i use different folders, one for each of my projects. If you place your files in any other folder, just make sure to give the correct link: http://www.yoursite.com/foldername/filename.xls
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

ok thank you -

I had tried to redirect things that "weren't" in my public folder and it wouldn't work, you see there are parts to setting up the links that I don't understand, when you go to set it up there is the question at the top that asks what type of "link" it is, such as:

Link Type (then there's a drop down box): "html"
          "file"
          "FTP"

and I never know which type to drop down and CHOOSE for when it's a pdf or word document and THEN which one to choose if it's uploaded to ftp folder (public folder).

i have the same problem with my pdf's and powerpoint presentations. i'd like for THEM to do the same thing as this excel file but can't seem to get them to do that so someone told me that i had to ZIP the pdf's and upload them to the public html folder and then put the ZIP address into the link and the only way for someone NOW to be able to view those pdf's is to have the WINZIP program?

if there's a better way to do this (aside from doing forms on the site) could you please let me know? And also about the "choices" above - which one to choose when linking things up?

Thanks,
          katiec

Comment

just tried it again and here's what i got ....

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings

and that's the same thing I get when i try to do this any other way with pdf's and excel. i haven't even ATTEMPTED it yet with the powerpoint presentation.

any words of wisdom?

Comment

I had tried to redirect things that "weren't" in my public folder and it wouldn't work, you see there are parts to setting up the links that I don't understand, when you go to set it up there is the question at the top that asks what type of "link" it is, such as:

Link Type (then there's a drop down box): "html" No, it must be http. There is no "html" option in there
              "file"
              "FTP"

and I never know which type to drop down and CHOOSE for when it's a pdf or word document and THEN which one to choose if it's uploaded to ftp folder (public folder). As long as it is a file that they need to download or a page, it must be "http"

i have the same problem with my pdf's and powerpoint presentations. i'd like for THEM to do the same thing as this excel file but can't seem to get them to do that so someone told me that i had to ZIP the pdf's and upload them to the public html folder and then put the ZIP address into the link and the only way for someone NOW to be able to view those pdf's is to have the WINZIP program?
              Ziping is only required if the files are too large. If you wish the files to open in your visitor's computer (provided they have Acrobat, or Excel, or Powerpoint installed on their computer) you should upload them in their rispective native format

if there's a better way to do this (aside from doing forms on the site) could you please let me know? And also about the "choices" above - which one to choose when linking things up?
              This is the ONLY way. If you zip them, the files will not open: they have to download the zip, extract it on their computer, then open the file.
              What do you mean by "doing forms" ? a form cannot do what you want, unless (for the excel case) you build a customize form and a calculating script.
              Navaldesign
              Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
              DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
              Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by katieC
                just tried it again and here's what i got ....

The page cannot be displayed

The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings

and that's the same thing I get when i try to do this any other way with pdf's and excel. i haven't even ATTEMPTED it yet with the powerpoint presentation.

any words of wisdom?
                Please provide me the excel file name, and the link you have tried. Or if you wish, use myform to send me your login details (username and password) so i can have a look.

I have also visited your site, and all the links to your Bruchure and Manual zips work perfectly.
                Navaldesign

Comment

Originally posted by navaldesign
                  Please provide me the excel file name, and the link you have tried. Or if you wish, use myform to send me your login details (username and password) so i can have a look.

I have also visited your site, and all the links to your Bruchure and Manual zips work perfectly.
                  just sent along using your form, you should have the file with you now.

Can you email me back, I need to ask you more ... thanks
                  Katie

Comment

Working...
                  X