Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: blog, text on page, pdf?

Hi David,

I was just reviewing my pages, and I'm a little confused. Yesterday I implemented Navaldesign's php material. The home page I created which will be the index, with the test menu bar on it, now has the title 'menu' on the properties page. But when the page is showing on my screen, up in the left corner it's listed as index. Now I don't know where to go to see how I named each page with the URL's. I have the html page called menu with just the menu in it and nothing else, then I have a myfooter page done the same way. I've got to make sure all my addressing is correct, so this is what I'm stuck on now. How do I find the names, not the titles? thanks.

Comment

Charlie
      When you open a page in BV
      do some work
      then save it..............the name that you saved it under is your page url.

When you go into page properties and give it a title, that is for the seo's and which will appear at the top of your browser.
      Have fun
      Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
      Newbies / Beginners Forum
      FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
      My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
      Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

OK, maybe I figured it out. On my menu page it's correct to have the name of each menu item in caps if I want because that's what we see on the page. When I name each page that's when I don't use caps and the home page should be named index not anything else. The title can be what I want with caps because that's what we see on the page.

The index page URL should be http://www.electmagi.com

The sub pages should be addressed like:

And last for here: The title of the pages should be concise and very relevant to the page content. I'm following carbon terry here.

Here's what's important to me to get right: my website is called electmagi.com because that's what I could get. The name of the novel is ELECT. So could I title the home page 'ELECT by J W Shoemaker' or 'ELECT a novel by J W Shoemaker'. I know a million folks aren't going to rush over because of that, but is it a relevant title to the index/home page if I'm willing to begin generating traffic?

Thanks for the patience.

Comment

Hi Shoemaker

If your menu is vertical, the spacing I mentioned won't work. If it's only 4 items, could you just have 4 separate links, and not use the text menu?
          That way you can space the items out as you want.

Thanks for the writing website URL - will check them out for sure!

Comment

Hi

Originally posted by shoemaker View Post
            OK, maybe I figured it out. On my menu page it's correct to have the name of each menu item in caps if I want because that's what we see on the page. When I name each page that's when I don't use caps and the home page should be named index not anything else. The title can be what I want with caps because that's what we see on the page.

The index page URL should be http://www.electmagi.com Correct

The sub pages should be addressed like:

Correct[/B]

And last for here: The title of the pages should be concise and very relevant to the page content. I'm following carbon terry here.

Here's what's important to me to get right: my website is called electmagi.com because that's what I could get. The name of the novel is ELECT. So could I title the home page 'ELECT by J W Shoemaker' or 'ELECT a novel by J W Shoemaker'.
            you could, but the only relevent word is NOVEL
            readers do not know your name or your title.........

3 things to concentrate on for the seo's
            keywords (page content)
            title (should contain some keywords)
            page description (should contain your title plus)

all 3 should be relevent to each other i.e content

I know a million folks aren't going to rush over because of that, but is it a relevant title to the index/home page if I'm willing to begin generating traffic?

Thanks for the patience.

your welcome......
            Have fun
            Regards..... David

Comment

Greetings to the members,

Yesterday I was out of circulation because I'm sure I was behind the eight ball on 8/8/08. It's an old story with me and I just ride out the storm. 13's are ok with me.

So yesterday I had a nightmare with pdf's. I don't have to detail it all because I finally got it resolved today. The pdf 995 I had to remove from my machine because it was hanging up my printer spool or something like that. They had a form for me to fill out with a call center and e-mail because they seem to come up with this problem often. I can't deal with that when I'm so fragile with all the other stuff I have to learn getting this site up. It would take me over the top.

I had gone to 995 because Primo pdf didn't load correctly on the machine, then wouldn't allow me to uninstall the program or to download it again until the incorrect installation was uninstalled. Catch 22.

I think it was worth putting the above here for other neophytes. The gist is that by shutting down then re-booting I finally could uninstall both programs, then re-install Primo (thanks again Lady Eyes) and now all is fine and dandy.

Sunchaser, I'm going to do what you suggested about adding each button separately. It will be a bit more work but the exercise should be worth it. Thanks. I'm going over several articles on your site. Cool.

Hi David. On the second 'correct' you have a [/b]. Was that supposed to indicate something I didn't get?

More importantly, your advice on key words is quite valuable to me. Since the title is ELECT I'll have to tie that in with key words and page description. I'm putting a short paragraph on the home page describing what the novel is about, chucked full of as many key words as I can come up with without sounding like a dumb-bell if that's possible. I'll re-figure that in page description. I suppose if I keep paying attention the meta-tag and key word department it will continue to improve and I can edit the pages accordingly. Thanks again and . . . nice boat.

Chris, Your lesson on configuring the html and menues is right there in front of me. Peace!

Comment

Greetings to the members,

Hi David. On the second 'correct' you have a [/b]. Was that supposed to indicate something I didn't get?

Ignore that.....it was the end of a make "bold" html statement.

More importantly, your advice on key words is quite valuable to me. Since the title is ELECT I'll have to tie that in with key words and page description. I'm putting a short paragraph on the home page describing what the novel is about, chucked full of as many key words as I can come up with without sounding like a dumb-bell if that's possible. I'll re-figure that in page description. I suppose if I keep paying attention the meta-tag and key word department it will continue to improve and I can edit the pages accordingly. Thanks again and . . . nice boat.

Its better to have 3 or 4 major keywords (contained in your content) rather than try to chuck in as many as you can.

Think about how a potential reader would be looking for(searching-entering) the type of content that your site would contain.

You could use some of your other keywords (3 or 4) on another page to get that page listed as well, but under a different title.
                Charlie
                Will your book contain any photos or diagrams ?¿
                Have fun
                Regards..... David

Comment

Hey David, Where'd you get Charlie? Not that I mind. Charles Stewart gave us Drambouie; Chaplin gave us 'Smile when your heart is breaking'; so I'll be Charlie.

No pictures in the novel. Straight text . . . or strange text, I should say. I don't know who's going to be searching for Elect, Magi, alchemy, mystic, Romany gypsy, Grail, Philosopher's Stone, Keplar, Machiavelli, I Ching, Horus, Apollo, Hermes Trismagistus, The Threefold Goddess, the Holy Office or Inquisition, witchcraft, evil eye, Phoenix, troubadours, Crusades, druids, Stonehenge, New Grange, etc., but it'll be a trip finding out.

Each thing you help me with goes into a sirius (oops, that's the dog star) serious folder on keystone, I mean key words, and metaphysics, I mean meta-tags, etc. Much obliged

Comment

Sorry charlie.........oops(not charlie)

Usually I am 100% on names, looks like that has dropped to 99%........lol
                    Have fun
                    Regards..... David

Comment

OK, now I created my NOTES page, which is like articles, or sort of in the blog department.

David, I'm not trying to bend your ear too much, just putting these next questions out there.

1. I'm going to put each text menu element separate instead of in a bar, like Sunchaser suggested. On my NOTES page I'd like to have the menu item/hyperlink for HOME say BACK TO HOME. Is that OK or should I just put HOME?

2. I wrote a COMMNENTS page today following the template then changing it around some. Will it be OK if I just have the COMMNENTS text box with neither my nor the commentator's e-mail address showing? Today I created a new gmail account where the comments will go to. So I will see the sender's handle and e-mail address in my inbox and that takes care of being able to respond to them, right?

3. Is it good to put those swirly letters that the user has to type in a box to avoid a lot of spam?

Thanks fellow users, from Charlie

Comment

1) HOME
                        2) mail programs require a from or it will get bounced
                        3) Yes

got to dash now, catch you later.............charlie.
                        Have fun
                        Regards..... David

Comment

Hi Team,

So now I'm studying hyperlinking without using one of the menu bars from the tutorials.
                          My exercise is this:

I've created a NOTES page and a COMMENTS page. I'm thinking of just having one menu button on each of these pages (my site only has four pages since the novel will be on pdf and there won't be a button for each of the pages on that). So to hyperlink to HOME from any page with only a HOME menu button on it I will do this: Select the menu button and highlight it. Click the hyperlink button in the upper right side of the screen. Type in the address of the HOME page, which would be http://www.electmagi.com/index.html and now I have a functioning hyperlink to the HOME page from any page on the site. Right? Also, I'm still confused whether I type the .html in or is that automatically inserted by the program.

Another question relating to David's affirmative answer concerning the wavey letters that a user would have to type in to place a comment (in order to help eliminate spam). How do I insert that wavey-gravey program?

And . . . whenever I want a website I never type in http://, I just do www. or not even that. Will my site require the whole enchilada or normal shortcuts will do?

Thanks mates, Charlie

Comment

Hi Team,

So now I'm studying hyperlinking without using one of the menu bars from the tutorials.
                            My exercise is this:

I've created a NOTES page and a COMMENTS page. I'm thinking of just having one menu button on each of these pages (my site only has four pages since the novel will be on pdf and there won't be a button for each of the pages on that). So to hyperlink to HOME from any page with only a HOME menu button on it I will do this: Select the menu button and highlight it. Click the hyperlink button in the upper right side of the screen. Type in the address of the HOME page, which would be http://www.electmagi.com/index.html and now I have a functioning hyperlink to the HOME page from any page on the site. Right? Also, I'm still confused whether I type the .html in or is that automatically inserted by the program.

Another question relating to David's affirmative answer concerning the wavey letters that a user would have to type in to place a comment (in order to help eliminate spam). How do I insert that wavey-gravey program?

And . . . whenever I want a website I never type in http://, I just do www. or not even that. Will my site require the whole enchilada or normal shortcuts will do?

Thanks mates, Charlie

Hi Charlie ..yes, include the http://www. with all links you create, it's the way the browsers read them, standard on the internet .. so yes, no shortcuts .. always use the full url ...

Include the .html in a url with all your pages with the exception of the index page .. for the index page you only type http://www.yourdomain.com .. no page name .. no .html - all other pages need their name and their file extension which is .html

Your technique of linking is correct, however a few things here ..

1. Since your pdf does open as it's own document, outside of your website, go back to this link you have applied for your pdf and set the target to _blank ... setting the target for this link to _blank will allow the pdf document to open another browser window for the user, so that when they close the window your website is still there on another window. This is a good idea to use for any links that take the user off of your website, as does a pdf document, or a link to a friends website, etc.

2. Even though your website is small at the moment, it is a good idea to have continuity throughout your website with your menu navigation. It's best is the menu to navigate your website is in a standard position on every page .. allowing viewers to navigate to every page from every page ... and this menu should appear in the same area on your page too.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                            1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                            02036089024 / United Kingdom
                            291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

It's called CAPTCHA ... and you can both learn more and find the sources in this thread (just read slow and try to apply the technique to your application) >> http://www.vodahost.com/vodatalk/start-your-own-community-forum/18125-stop-robot-accounts-spam.html
                              . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
                              * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Lady Eyes, More excellent help from you. Vasili, good of you to stop by. I read you often, with pleasure.

Lady Eyes, everything you placed here good and clear. OK, gotcha on the standard menu. I was just thinking of cosmetics, but I can just put the menu box on every page.

My question about http://www. was not if I could skip this when I'm creating addresses. What I meant is that when I'm browsing I never put in http:// and often eliminate the www., only puting in the .com and it usually works fine. I'm asking if I tell someone to go to my website, in a casual way, do I need to say to the person 'BE Sure' to write it http://www.electmagi.com or can I say 'hey dudette, go to electmagi.com'?

Since you're the one to gift me with my pdf, Lady, I'll just ask if I should go over to primo to ask questions about linking it to here and it's uses or is that a legitimate subject here also? David advised me to put links to my HOME page often at different points in the story. The pdf document is separate from this program, but do I add my HOME hyperlinks in the same way on every several page of the pdf as I do here?

Thanks again, Shoemaker

Vasili, I already saved that page you recomended, have a great day, ****

Comment

Working...
                                X