Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redirect homepage (easy???)

Hi all,

How to redirect a homepage to another page within the same site? I followed carefully the tutorial on Cpanel about REDIRECTS and it looks quite easy. However, i run into problems when i try to do the same. I would like to redirect my home page "mywebsite.com" to another page within the same site "website.com/anotherpage.html" .

I get this error message "REDIRECT LOOP...etc" when I try to access mywebsite.com. But when in Cpanel, I type in "mywebsite.com/index.html", it redirects me to the new webpage I want. My fear is that no visitor will actually bother to type /index.html after "mywebsite.com". and therefore, they will get this error message. I simply want them to be redirect to the other page just by typing mywebsite.com. I hope my explanations are not confusing you too much. Thanks very much for your help.

P.S. I know I can simply change the new page into an index.html and delete the old one. But I don't want to do that as the change/redirect is only temporary. I simply want my visitors to be redirected to this other page when they type my usual domain name. Thanks much

herman

Re: Redirect homepage (easy???)

You cant do it like that.. just rename your other page index and publish.. why make it hard?

Karen

VodaHost

Your Website People!
    1-302-283-3777 North America / International
    02036089024 / United Kingdom
    291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Re: Redirect homepage (easy???)

You will need edit your htaccess file (either through the file manager in cpanel, or via ftp).

Open the .htaccess file inside your public_html folder and add this code to it and change the red text to the actual page name:

Code:
      DirectoryIndex [COLOR=Red]anotherpage[/COLOR].html
      Note though, if you ask for support elsewhere on the forum in regards to your homepage, people are not going to know you set your default homepage be something other then "index". You are going to get a lot of "well your problem is you need an index page", or something of the sort. For that reason it really isn't recommended you make a change like this, its technically a very simple change to make, but changes something that is very fundamental to general website protocol.

Register/Login Script
      Do you use a Password Protected Directory? Need a way to allow users to make their own account, try my .htaccess Login Script

Comment

Working...
      X