No announcement yet.

subscribers and restricted area how to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: subscribers and restricted area how to?

Vasili. This is only relates to your last paragraph.

With the wobb forum, the areas you go into are determined by your login details. I assume that the program makes a password protected folder for that particular group of users. So with my forum if you join as public you can only see the public posts & none of the private forums. These wont even show up to the public & they don’t even know they are there. I have on my forum an area just for me & a few guys that are helping that is only seen by administrators. Which is classed as a group. I can have as many groups as I like. Any group I create, only members of that group can see or post messages in that group. No one else can see these postings. So in other words I could have 100 members & 10 groups with 10 members to a group .When a member signs in, is all they will see is their groups postings & visa versa to all other groups. So it’s a bit like having unlimited forums with passwords to a particular group/forum.
    Vodahost will have a private area in the main forum that we use, but we can’t see their posts because we are not part of the admin group. But they can post & see details in that part of the forum because they are the administrators group & can create as many private areas or groups as they wish.
    So if it was for your office, each department in the office could have there own area in the forum that no other department can see or post. Only there members of that department. Each department is classed as a group.
    What happens in wobb is a bit of a pain because you create a forum & deny access to all departments except 1. Then that forum is private to that 1. Which it would be a lot easier to just choose a group that has access.
    Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

I have the same functionality in my phpBB Forum...(Users, Groups, Management, etc.). Your kind reply is not something I don't already know, but in responding to VH-feature issues......
      Essentially, you could restrict all interior pages to "groups within groups" leaving only the index page visible to visitors, but again, this becomes a logistical nightmare when using a VH Forum, as that would require a version (v.3 - still in Beta, and with far fewer optional templates and unstable MOD's) that had sub-sub's.....AND, as this is a VH featured discussion, regarding the above issues, password protection to view the Forum is still nothwithstanding.

Thanks, Chris!
      . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
      * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

The original post by Chriss was not about having a forum in a protected folder, but simply to have a forum where the admin would define the privileges for the users. So, this can be done in phpbb by setting privileges, even for simple reading, to require a registration.

But, personal opinions apart, let's try to stick to the poster's question:

Option 1: Yes, you can have a protected folder. Look at http://www.vodahost.com/DemoDemo/cpa...pdirectory.htm . The problem is that you need to manually email your members the username and password.
        Option 2: As said, there are many authentication scripts on the net. Use one of them, if your members only site doesn't have any critical content in it.
        Option 3: Go for a professional script like www.amember.com or password gate
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

We will get there! Just out of curiosity. Can I assume that a protected folder could be created with a password & the forum placed in the protected folder? Or is this not correct & not classed as a directory & won’t work?

Ps. Just a small thing, for any one that uses amember this can be set up to have 1 login that enables a member to be automatically be signed into other areas to save multiple sign in’s IE: you wouldn’t have to sign into the forum after you logged into the private area. But I think you have to check your programs compatibility.

Chris.
          Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Yes, you can install a forum in a folder of it's own, then have the whole folder password protected. In that case the user will need to 1. enter the folder username and password to enter that folder, and 2. Use the forum username and password to loggin in the foru.

I consider this to be useless, as the user has to loggin twice.
            Navaldesign
            Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
            DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
            Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Hi Naval,
              I was thinking more about Montanas original Permalink/link 8 post where they wanted a private area with web pages & a forum for their members. I assume they could place web pages with navigation around the protected area inside the protected folder but naturally outside the forum folder?

Chris.
              Regards Chris.

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Yes, they can. You create the Private are folder and password protect it, and you place the pages in it. Inside it, you install the forum on another yet folder, so it's index and other pages will not get in conflict with the user's pages.
                Navaldesign

Comment

Working...
                X