This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

Thanks Naval. I'm sure I'll hear back from Beth too. My building was going so well too . . . Now I'm back to being confused about how in the heck I can rebuild a site, and then change nameservers at GoDaddy and have my customers be able to see my original domain www.cust-m-cartoons.com (with hyphens). Where exactly should I be publishing all my files?
    Sheryl Tupa
    Cust-M-Cartoons -- 10% Discount Code: "FORUM"
    Personalized Cartoons For Everyone and Personalized Music CDs for Kids
    New Baby Cartoons
    Personalized Cartoons to announce your new arrival!
    Cloud Nine Photo Magic
    Specializing in unique children & pet portraiture

Comment

Sheryl - do as Naval says - as it is now, you are putting in the full path - which is NOT the path it will be when you change to the other site. So, you'd have to go in and change them all. Of course, all links in navigation wouldn't be so hard because of the method you're using (which is one of the reasons I wanted you to use this method) - but if you're doing any links on pages, those will have to be corrected when you publish.

When I did what you are - I did a few to test that what I was doing worked, but then did all my links as I'd want them when I changed over - therefore, they wouldn't all work now - but would when it was changed.

Hope I'm not confusing you - but I don't want you doing double work.

I never thought of what Naval just said - but if you do as he says, then I don't think you'll have any changing later - and they'll work both ways.

Naval - chime and and tell me if this is right?
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

but if you're doing any links on pages, those will have to be corrected when you publish.

Use relative links even there, so nothing to edit after. This is the method i use when creating scripts for my clients: i have to make them site independent, or they will not work when i upload them on their site.

Of course, there are other ways too to acheive the same result with php, yethaving the links absolute, but with a variable first part. But this requires some coding, and i don't think this is the case here.
        Navaldesign
        Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers
          Sheryl - do as Naval says - as it is now, you are putting in the full path - which is NOT the path it will be when you change to the other site. So, you'd have to go in and change them all. Of course, all links in navigation wouldn't be so hard because of the method you're using (which is one of the reasons I wanted you to use this method) - but if you're doing any links on pages, those will have to be corrected when you publish.

When I did what you are - I did a few to test that what I was doing worked, but then did all my links as I'd want them when I changed over - therefore, they wouldn't all work now - but would when it was changed.

Hope I'm not confusing you - but I don't want you doing double work.

I never thought of what Naval just said - but if you do as he says, then I don't think you'll have any changing later - and they'll work both ways.

Naval - chime and and tell me if this is right?
          Beth, making relative links will work on ANY site, as long as you follow the same folder structure ( if you have any folder structure, which, most users, don't)
          Navaldesign
          Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
          DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
          Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Naval,
            I thought so - however, on my old server - relative links quit working - but we won't go there - there is a reason lots of us are here :) And more, like Sheryl, keep joining us.
            Beth
            A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
            SEO - The Basics

Comment

Okay. I get the "relative" links idea, and will start changing those tonight. The other question I had was, am I saving to the right folder. I created a second folder in BV called Cust-M-Cartoons, so when I publish it is going to public_html/cust-m-cartoons. Is this still correct?
              Sheryl Tupa
              New Baby Cartoons
              Cloud Nine Photo Magic

Comment

Yes this is correct.
                Navaldesign

Comment

Woo-hoo! I got something right! I know I'll need some assistance when it comes time to switch over to my other domain.

I have one other "little site" that I've added on, that's still at GoDaddy, so after I get my "final" instructions, I'll test it on that one first! Thanks for all your help. Moving to VH and using BV was the smartest thing I've every done.
                  Sheryl Tupa
                  New Baby Cartoons
                  Cloud Nine Photo Magic

Comment

Hi Naval,

I have encountered a strange phenomenon; the menu looks perfect initially (see file1, 1st button "Forums"), but when I rolled my mouse over it..the button shows another button description..(see file2, 1st button is no longer "Forums" but reflects "About us").

Any recommends?

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	file1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.5 KB
ID:	497656

Click image for larger version

Name:	file2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	497657
                    Cheers,
                    Eric PSF

PapaEric.com
                    A Father's Parenting Diary & More...

Comment

This has nothing to do with the php method, it is a problem with your menu page. My guess is that you have used the same menu in some other page, and you have edited it, so the images created by BV were altered to reflect the changes that you did.

Use this simple trick:

Open the page that you created for the menubar (the php one).
                      Select the menubar, and copy it. Delete it.
                      Paste it back to the page, using the Paste icon on the toolbar (NOT the right click paste, nor the Edit / Paste).

This will place the menubar back in the page, in the excact same position where it was.

Save and publish your menu page.

This should be enough.
                      Navaldesign

Comment

Hi Naval,

Thanks for the fast reply!
                        Cheers,
                        Eric PSF

PapaEric.com
                        A Father's Parenting Diary & More...

Comment

thanks, Naval. I am finally getting to use this and I can honestly say that because of this function, my web designs will never be the same. Remember I told you that whenever I publish the navigation alternate text tend to disappear? Well, this solves it! Thanks a bunch.

Comment

This tip is exactly what I was looking for, have not witnessed it work however.

1) created menu.php with my menu bar in it positioned in the topmost left corner.
                            2) changed it to publish as a php file and see the php file in my publi_html folder.
                            3) added the code snippets to the start of page and end of page and published successfully.
                            4) placed an html box on my index.html leaving my index in html format.
                            5) double clicked on the html box and place the call to the menu function in it making sure to copy/paste all code snippets.
                            6) published my index.html again.
                            When I go to my page the menu bar does not appear, is their anything in IE that does not allow php to show or an error log somewhere to show why it does not show up?

*******was able to see this work after making all pages PHP and refreshing the IE instead of pulling from cache*******
                            Thank You

H. Michael Everett

Comment

Ofcourse, since both pages make use of php, they have to be published as php
                              Navaldesign

Comment

glad it worked for you too, Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X