This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

Usually the css style sheet goes either in the between head tag, or as an external file. Can you please publish the page so i can have a look ?
    Navaldesign
    Logger Lite: Low Cost, Customizable, multifeatured Login script
    Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
    DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
    Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Naval - I couldn't get it to work in the head tag - but did an external file before reading what you just posted and got it.

Can't post the page I'm testing on - will find your emal address and send it that way - don't want se's finding this test page LOL
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi Beth,

well done. You have mail
        Navaldesign
        Instant Download Cart: a Powerfull, Customized, in site, DB driven, e-products Cart
        DBTechnosystems.com Forms, Databases, Shopping Carts, Instant Download Carts, Loggin Systems and more....
        Advanced BlueVoda Form Processor : No coding form processor! Just install and use! Now with built in CAPTCHA!

Comment

Naval,

I input that withOUT using the php - did it entirely in CSS - which means it CAN be done in CSS without having to change page extensions. Oh my - now I have my work cut out for me. I know I can do the navigation and footer this way - am not sure if I could do my header without pulling my hair out - but that won't change often.

I have to stop for awhile - but this is AWESOME - how one thing spirals into another. This could mean redoing all my navigation and footers on my other sites to css - and keeping the .html extensions as is.

I haven't found how to call the pictures up in css - but I will :)
          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Beth, what you have done, is to use a text based menu in your page, and style it with the css. This is quite acheivable in html.

But, the menu itself, has been placed in the page. Which means that if you have a 100 page site, you need to edit evrysingle page, if you want to edit the menu. If you only want to style the menu, you can still edit a single file, but adding or deleting or editing links in your menu would require editing and re-publishing every single page.
            Navaldesign

Comment

You are right!

But I'm learning a new language still and it feels good - and I use it with your php method on this site - and I'm way ahead of the game.
              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Yes, this is what i suggested also: using this method in conjunction to a text based CSS styled menu. Top!
                Navaldesign

Comment

I'm thinking about calling up my footer with css also - take more code off the page - but the juries out on that.
                  Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                  SEO - The Basics

Comment

Well, you DO get code off the page. But this doesn't affect loading time: the footer (as wll as the header or menu) are also loaded through the include function, so the loading time is the same (to be honest some msec higher)
                    Navaldesign

Comment

Exactly what I've done.
                      I created my template in BV using Naval's neat php tricks for the header, side-menu and footer as above and then using the generated html which I ftp'ed back wrapped it round my LA code when I setup the link page.
                      The header and side menu to be placed before the link code and the generated footer code in the LA footer area.
                      This "footer area" is just a convenience provided by LA as all it is, is the html placed just ahead of the </body> tag and so it's not a "real" positioning thing.
                      BV, when it generates the html, uses "position absolute" to position the footer to the exact position it was when the template was created so it needs to be changed.
                      If the link pages were a fixed length - no problem, but they are variable therefore I need to be able to say in the html "place it here" after this text. I need some absolute positioning so it lines up horizontally on the page but not a fixed "top" position.
                      It has to be a placement issue for the footer code within the various DIV tags to ensure it can be placed relative to the link code element.
                      I'll keep playing
                      CedarAtticVents.com Genuine Cedar Attic Vents, Gable Vents and Shutters in many Standard Designs and Sizes as well as Custom Made to Your Specifications
                      HingeAndLatch.com Gate and Door Hardware with the look and feel of yesteryear. Traditional and Antique styles to enhance all your entrance-ways

Comment

Winntec,
                        Then could you place the code in the PAGE HTML under the End of Body tab? That way- no matter how the page changed in length, that bit of code would still be placed at the end of the body content?

Just thinking out loud,

Andy
                        PHP- is a blast!

Comment

Winntec - as I stated before - this page is not hosted on your site - and therefore will NOT be pulling up the code you're putting on it - you need to put the actual code on the LA page. You don't have access to the pages to put the footer where it needs to be on the changing page size - because it's NOT your page. If you get it to work, it may work once, but not the next time - as that's not how it's set up to work.

However, if you want to be sure about this - contact Viktar at LA - he'll be happy to help you.
                          Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                          SEO - The Basics

Comment

Beth, thanks
                            I got it fixed to 90% satisfaction - have a small amount of fixing for short link pages.
                            Yup absolutely the page you see in LA is not on the site - it's like BV it's a generator but you can see the surrounding html and therefore play - and once generated you get to see all the generated pages.
                            The issue turned out to be caused by absolute positioning within the footer function which is in every element that BV generates so when I did Naval's header/footer etc they had positioning code within each function - once that was fixed (removed the "top:99px;" type code with Dreamweaver) worked fine.
                            I'll get it fixed 100% when my son genius tech support arrives for Christmas!
                            I'll also see if he has any bright ideas for a method of doing the footer/header/side-menu thing other than php as, like you, I'd prefer to keep my .html extensions on my existing sites once i switch over from SOL and not lose my rankings, they're not fantastic by any means but don't want to start from P1.
                            Thx again.
                            CedarAtticVents.com Genuine Cedar Attic Vents, Gable Vents and Shutters in many Standard Designs and Sizes as well as Custom Made to Your Specifications
                            HingeAndLatch.com Gate and Door Hardware with the look and feel of yesteryear. Traditional and Antique styles to enhance all your entrance-ways

Comment

You can't keep the exact names as your SOL site - as they are numbers, etc and a part of the SOL system - you don't have true html extensions - the only page you won't lose rank on is your home page. All the others will be changed - and will not be possible to redirect. That's why I'm fine with the php for the 2 others sites I'm still moving over.

Glad you have figured out the LA part.
                              Beth

SEO and Marketing Tools
                              SEO - The Basics

Comment

Hi, found this & hope it will help.
                                It’s a free css menu generator. Got some nice looking menus & real easy to use. Naturally there is a link to their site in the code,
                                (But! what the hell)
                                The site has a lot of other good freebees as well. Especially on the icons.

Main site.

Download page.
                                Create killer menus effortlessly! CSS Tab Designer is a unique and easy to use software to help you design css-based lists and tabs visually and without any programming knowledge required! With the CSS Tab Designer, you can : Quickly design your list visually Choose from a variety of styles/colo ...

Hope it helps?
                                Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Working...
                                X