X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coffeegourmet
    replied
    Re: Single Menu Page with Bv and PHP

Step by step this time... I am trying to learn.... I know if I skip steps, it will not get me done any quicker! :)

I did not build any new pages for ccw, just pasted a html box at the bottom to see if it would come up. I did publish the menu page though. I thought it would work on ccw site since it is the only site actually published on voda. Maybe I am wrong here.

If I need to make seperate pages, I can do that easily enough, just not from work here as my work won't let me download bv on to this computer which is probably a good thing since I would never go back to dealing!! *LOL*

I can try it tonight before I go to bed on my laptop I suppose! :)

Leave a comment:

• Bethers
    replied

Chris, did you build the other pages for CCW? It won't pull a page you built for the coffee site. And did you follow each step - one at a time. You have a tendency to skip steps :)

Leave a comment:

• coffeegourmet
    replied

Beth,

That is what I did before I left for work. I pulled up my index page for ccwenterprises, and put in an html box at the bottom. I published it and left for work. Now I have checked it here at work and there is no menu bar at the bottom.

Guess it is just growing pains of building in Blue Voda... no problem, I am sure it will get done!

Chris

Leave a comment:

• Bethers
    replied

Chris,
    You won't be able to see this in preview- only after you go live.

If you want to test how it works, make a page using it on your other site - so that you know it's working right.

Leave a comment:

• coffeegourmet
    replied

Naval Design,

I am just building my site in BV now so what a perfect time to do this. I followed your steps and made the menu bar, made it into html, saved it as php etc. The trouble I am now having is trying to insert into my next page.

I measured out the menu bar, made it a html box and pasted in the code that you said to do it. As my site is not yet live, I can't publish it but I tried previewing it and all that comes up is a blank space. I even tried pasting in the code in the page html at the beginning and the end, and that did not solve it. Any idea of what I am doing wrong here?

I know once I get it done once I will more than likely be able to do it for every page and my header, my footer and everything.

Thank you for your help.

Leave a comment:

• matrixxxxxx1
    replied

Originally posted by Bethers
    Matrixx, since you have iframes, the internal pages probably aren't getting the rank you want. So doing this might be the way to go. You could always do individual redirects on all the pages to the new ones - if you believe the internal pages are getting much traffic. Your home page won't be effected, as it is found via url url without html or php.

Blue ftp doesn't show all pages - go into your control panel to delete out ALL http pages.

Hi Beth

Thnx for the reply. Redirects seem to do the trick

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Bethers
    replied

Matrixx, since you have iframes, the internal pages probably aren't getting the rank you want. So doing this might be the way to go. You could always do individual redirects on all the pages to the new ones - if you believe the internal pages are getting much traffic. Your home page won't be effected, as it is found via url url without html or php.

Blue ftp doesn't show all pages - go into your control panel to delete out ALL http pages.

Leave a comment:

• matrixxxxxx1
    replied

Hi navaldesign

I got all the pages as php. If someone accesses the site by typing http://www.atexflooring.ca and then follows the links. Everything is fine and you see all the pages as .php

If someone accesses the site via SE and gets anything else besides the home page it goes into the html page and from there all the links are the older html ones. example http://www.atexflooring.ca/promotions.html <---anything followed from here is the html pages for the exception of home page which than goes into the php.

I don't see all the html pages in my blueftp to delete and also I deleted the menu that I was using for I-Frame. I'm not even sure how the html pages are still displaying my menu....

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

Thnx

Mike

Leave a comment:

• matrixxxxxx1
    replied

WOW.... What an awesome thread

This is a great thread you have navaldesign. Awesome tips in here. I saw this last night and decided to change all my pages and menu to php.

Thank you

I've had my site for about a year now. I changed the menu to I-frames after 3-4 months of having it when I ran across your thread on I-frames and Menu. Now I found this....lol

Hey Bethers

Would this change affect things as far as SE's go. I always wondered about the I-frame, as you mentioned before it's not SE friendly and I also read this somewhere else. Also when I changed to I-frames the ROR utility didn't seem to pick up my links.

I have to read some more about CSS, but my menu is in text on 90% of the pages.

Any Thoughts on whether this was a good move or a bad one?

Thnx

Mike

Leave a comment:

• AmaDee
    replied

glad it worked for you too, Michael

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

Ofcourse, since both pages make use of php, they have to be published as php

Leave a comment:

• meveret
    replied

This tip is exactly what I was looking for, have not witnessed it work however.

1) created menu.php with my menu bar in it positioned in the topmost left corner.
    2) changed it to publish as a php file and see the php file in my publi_html folder.
    3) added the code snippets to the start of page and end of page and published successfully.
    4) placed an html box on my index.html leaving my index in html format.
    5) double clicked on the html box and place the call to the menu function in it making sure to copy/paste all code snippets.
    6) published my index.html again.
    When I go to my page the menu bar does not appear, is their anything in IE that does not allow php to show or an error log somewhere to show why it does not show up?

*******was able to see this work after making all pages PHP and refreshing the IE instead of pulling from cache*******

Leave a comment:

• AmaDee
    replied

thanks, Naval. I am finally getting to use this and I can honestly say that because of this function, my web designs will never be the same. Remember I told you that whenever I publish the navigation alternate text tend to disappear? Well, this solves it! Thanks a bunch.

Leave a comment:

• EricPSF
    replied

Hi Naval,

Thanks for the fast reply!

Leave a comment:

• navaldesign
    replied

This has nothing to do with the php method, it is a problem with your menu page. My guess is that you have used the same menu in some other page, and you have edited it, so the images created by BV were altered to reflect the changes that you did.

Use this simple trick:

Open the page that you created for the menubar (the php one).
    Select the menubar, and copy it. Delete it.
    Paste it back to the page, using the Paste icon on the toolbar (NOT the right click paste, nor the Edit / Paste).

This will place the menubar back in the page, in the excact same position where it was.

Save and publish your menu page.

This should be enough.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X