Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How about a competition using BlueVoda????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How about a competition using BlueVoda????

Originally posted by Bethers
    I think asking any of the new people to make a page in an iframe might mean you lose some beautiful pages they might be able to design in BV - and that loses the whole point.

I also don't agree with the pages being hosted on one site. If you wanted to have a page with links to all the pages, that people host themselves, which I think is what Vasili is saying, then that would make more sense - and the author of the page would retain complete control of the page - which they should.

And in no way should there be any ranking on pages. As soon as it feels competitive that way, it would lose everything it might have going for it.

As always, simplicity is the best. Getting mired down will lose the whole point.
    Glad to have you paraphrase my suggestions, Beth....it seems my vernacular wafts over the glazed eyes too quickly nowadays! LOL

I agree that creating pages within an iFrame is definitely out, but universal use of an iFrame menu makes complete sense to me, as it is globally updatable and would serve to eliminate possible recreation/*******tion errors "downstream" as well as does not create the compelling ambition to "go over the top" to out-do the previous contributor (as some might try to use dynamic, flash, or other advanced means).

And, yes, I did intend for each contributor to "host" their page(s) in their own account, as I mentioned to
    1. absolve any one influence of unfair 'control' over the project;
    2. to act as a natural "filter" to establish true VH status;
    3. and to add an element of 'reciprocol' SEO benefit, having a solidly networked links/navigation "relevancy" associated with the VodaHost SE value.....

And I also am repeating my caution against any emergence of voting, ranking, or "status" in such a project, thus my numerous suggestions of desirable benefits possible using an alternative construct.....
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Dang, Vasili, I'm more tired than I thought. Yes, an iframe for a menu works well - I read the pages being done in them. I'm gonna quit for the night before I really confuse myself.

However, why do people need the index from their page? If there is ONE page somewhere - that is an index - and that page is given out - then people's pages can be listed there - and after clicking on a page, click back to go back to the index for another page. As these pages will not want to have anything on them for an index if they are being designed as I think they will be.

And if I was doing one, I wouldn't want it indexed as part of my site - as it wouldn't have anything to do with my site.

Again, simplicity- make your pages - host your own pages - have an index somewhere that one person agrees to keep up-dated.

One comment about SEO value - I don't see any - as even if the se's follow the link to the site - it won't have anything to do with the rest of the site, and designing as intended for purposes here - it won't have any links to the rest of the site - so will be a dead end for the se.

Now, I probably missed or screwed something else up here with my eyes scratchy and hurtin' so this is it for me tonight!
      Beth
      A Child's Palace - Pinata Palace - Moxie Enterprises

SEO and Marketing Tools
      SEO - The Basics

Comment

Originally posted by Bethers
        Dang, Vasili, I'm more tired than I thought. Yes, an iframe for a menu works well - ( 1 ) I read the pages being done in them. I'm gonna quit for the night before I really confuse myself.

However, why do people need the index from their page? ( 2 ) If there is ONE page somewhere - that is an index - and that page is given out - then people's pages can be listed there - and after clicking on a page, click back to go back to the index for another page. As these pages will not want to have anything on them for an index if they are being designed as I think they will be.

And if I was doing one, I wouldn't want it indexed as part of my site - as it wouldn't have anything to do with my site. ( 3 )

Again, simplicity- make your pages - host your own pages - have an index somewhere that one person agrees to keep up-dated.

One comment about SEO value - I don't see any - as even if the se's follow the link to the site - it won't have anything to do with the rest of the site, and designing as intended for purposes here - it won't have any links to the rest of the site - so will be a dead end for the se. ( 4 )

Now, I probably missed or screwed something else up here with my eyes scratchy and hurtin' so this is it for me tonight!
        OK....going by numbers now....

1. I know you flubbed that read, but I took the opportunity to faze past that to mention another aspect to avoid....there was mention made about a rigidity of format, insofar as to imply a "template" or iFrame application (again, more stipulation and the transparent creation of an "Administrator" = a "Control" presence that is less than the freely self-governing model each of us would prefer, correct?)

2. If you followed carefully the construct model I keep reiterating (be it a "chain story" or any other progressive entertainment project + learning vehicle), a true iFrame Menu would provide more than the single option of "Forward/Next" or "Back/Return" on each created page....it would offer the range of pages to re-visit, or even return "Home".....even if the iFrame is nothing more than a Go Menu with every page (with title? creator?) listed in order to also give true navigation ability to visitors, rather than be locked into a bi-directional navigation loop!

3. If it is (as I carefully suggested) hosted on each contributor's account/site as an "innocuous" page (along with the underlaying "Details Page" it would not be "indexed" within the primary site cache, nor would it interfere in any way with the function of the host site/account.

4. In truth, it does have noticable benefit to the host account/site, as it is an active network of established (yet loosely defined) "relevancy"....as long as each page consistently displays "Perfect Page" construct....it is not cached within the primary host site, however, but remains as a non-defined relevancy metric* (largely based on the Perfect Page compliance and the reciprocol links establising a bona-fide network across multiple compliant sites as well......just as a "shell" program works over an application, or similar to how a php-based shopping cart defies logic being seen "rankable" due to ghosted HTML pages alongside the php foundation).

* This is an admitted Google element which is constantly being exploited by the various "SEO Leaders" even today....it was only 4 years ago that the practice became widely popular, and although it is discouraged today (due to less than professional implementation and poorly constructed pages) it remains just one of many Google "backdoors" offering potential. Again, if not prepared properly, these pages will appear as a "counterfeit" element, undefined nonetheless (a default conclusion). Or didn't you know this??? You can read some of the most visible of the players and these same strategies in one of the "whitepapers" they offer at SEOMatrix.com, if you can't find it on your favorite guru's site....

Comment

Hi Vasili, you have interpreted my badly written word well.

• Correct on the iframe for the menu. But wasn’t sure if this may be ok for the se’s? (all just ideas at the moment)
          • Correct on every one hosting there own info pages plus a sample/demo page of what they are helping with. (working model)
          • All pages that helpers provide should be hosted on there own sites.
          As for feedback/banter on each item that a member supplies. This could still be still done through the Vodahost forum.

I am running a bit late for an appointment at the mo, so will read in more detail later. But when I get back, I will do a little list on what we all think is good or bad so far.

Cheers.
          Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

Sounds like you are running this project then, Chris?

I had hoped that the best of the ideas would be precisely presented as a composite structure to form a consensus, with final comments offered as final "proofing" ...... so far, I have not seen any detailed comments that might prove constructive aside from the discourse Beth and myself had posted.
            Any furtherances, or specific considerations to offer to serve as the beginnings of an emerging format (presentable without a posture of editorialism, of course)?

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info
              I know it was suggested a short wile back about a challenge for the best website. And rightly so it was mentioned that it may create some friction.
              What I am suggesting is a competition to see who can create the best single 800x600 web page using only Bluevoda & nothing else what so ever. IE:…
              No external images/fonts/scripts/ absolutely nothing but BV.
              Then the top three or so from of each month can be showcased in a view only section of the forum. With maybe some info on how the page was created for others to use.
              Maybe have 2 categories. Like best artistic page created with BV & best technical creation using BV. Open for ideas on this.
              Right! NO LAUGHING! but just to give an idea of what I was thinking, I have put together a few pages on the type of thing I meant. http://www.collectors-info.com/testing/shapes1.html 1st page might take a sec to load.
              I personally thought the shapes tool didn’t work very well as I have seen so many sites that look like they have been made with a saw rather than BV shapes. But if used right, some really nice effects can be created with this tool & other facilities that BV has..
              It’s just down to your artistic talents & knowledge of using BV.

Would like to hear if this would be a good idea or not. Some one might suggest a way to vote without creating controversy amongst us all.. Maybe BV’s voting software?
              Open for any ideas if good or bad.

Cheers.
              Great idea, you would need to make a form with different categories to vote for the best site, for example:

- loading time best out of 10
              - design best out of 10

.. etc. and maybe make it so that each month the websites all have to do with one category so maybe the first month can be all about the atlantic ocean for example, haha!

I didn't take time to read this whole thread, so maybe this has already been said
              Best regards,
              Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

No, I don't believe you have read all that has been said Jeremy at all ...

I will further state how it is I see it.

I believe it should be a sample of what can be done with the blue voda webbuilder ... I like the idea Chris had, that you didn't use any other tools outside of the builder. That meant, no outside images or graphics or dynamics of any sort, so no ocean scenery Jeremy ...

I wanted to see it in a "Sticky Thread" format ... a relaxed atmosphere, not one that would be published as a list, from anyone's site at all ...

I wanted to be able to come to the sticky thread on any given day, and have a look at what so and so may have made, and of course their comments of how they achieved the look of their page would be within that post with their link.

I wanted it to be an ongoing thing, from here to eternity, quite possibly the longest thread in this house, (I know there is competition for that, lol) but one that remained on this voda host forum ... this is where I believe it belongs ...

What I was saying in regards to the opportunity for other members to see our sites, was just the fact that those participating would have the url to their site within their sample page ... simply that, nothing more .... I think the thread could be entitled "Blue Voda Webbuilder Creations" - browse through this thread and see the styles offered by some of our members. I think if you want to have a few categories, they could be "All About Shapes" - "All About Text" - or "Combo pages" ... or whatever anyone can think of within the software itself.

I think it's a simple plan, one that people can jump in and out of at their own pace or willingness.

AGAIN - my two cents!

And btw Chris, I have not commented as much as I should, but your work is fabulous, you have already won any competition for such in my mind. I noticed when you did the remake of the motorcycle site, forgive me I forget the name, but I think your work is wonderful.

Oh and sorry if I wanted too much, lol ....

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                02036089024 / United Kingdom
                291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Thanks Holly,

Great idea!
                  Best regards,
                  Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Well Put Holly - simple, clean, easy. It would be easy to find stuff with the sub catagories, and if people used there own online name for their thread, then they could add to it and we would all know where to look for more of their (spectacular) work. Also, comments and questions about their specific pages wouldn't got lost within a long bunch of pages ..
                    Liz
                    www.sebastopolparty.com
                    www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Almost Liz ...

Dependent on the number of categories, this would decide the number of threads ... a thread per category, as opposed to a thread per person (a thread being the main topic where everyone posts)

Then everyone post their work regarding that topic in that thread ...

I think if we made individual threads for everyone, then some would be lost.

So all pages made using shapes, goes into thread called "Blue Voda Creations Using Shapes"

So all pages made using text, goes into thread called "Blue Voda Creations Using Text"

The combo - the same ...

p.s. a thread is what you start a new topic on within a designated area of the forum, a post is what you make within a thread.

VodaHost

Your Website People!
                      1-302-283-3777 North America / International
                      02036089024 / United Kingdom
                      291916438 / Australia

------------------------

Top 3 Best Sellers

Web Hosting - Unlimited disk space & bandwidth.

Reseller Hosting - Start your own web hosting business.

Search Engine & Directory Submission - 300 directories + (Google,Yahoo,Bing)

Comment

Yep you are correct.. that is what I meant, just had my terms wrong....be kind to me, first cup of coffee, you know?
                        Liz
                        www.sebastopolparty.com
                        www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Originally posted by davidundalicia
                          You can always use your imagination with a blank page, you cant with flash....
                          Oh i Don't know, you would be surprised what you could come up with a Graphics Tablet a pen and a bit of creativity.

Comment

Originally posted by Collectors-info
                            Aliens, we couldn’t leave you behind. So we knocked up a spare space ship for you. The triangles are loading it up right now?
                            Sorry about the Ramses III look to it but it used to belong to an Egyptian.
                            Take care of it. Its only done 100000000000000000000000000000000000 miles. & just been serviced. http://www.collectors-info.com/testing/space.html

Cheers.
                            Cooooooooooool

Comment

Now you lot don't take this the wrong way, but if you keep discussing the ifs, Doe's, dont's, and why nots, this will never get of the ground.
                              i suggest you have a committee comprising of 3 or 4 members, which would be voted on to the committee by all member putting forward 4 names, set a date for closing, then the names that have the most sponsors are offered the post. Then those 3 or 4 members thrash out the fine details and rules, they then put this to vodahost, and if vodahost accept, a forum should be opened and the ground rules and competition posted.

Just a thought

Comment

I am with you there, my distinguished Alien friend!

Forming a consensus (even first amongst trusted/"appointed" peers) within a Steering Committee to solidfy many of the details would be the first step.

(And I will tell you.....I was once again at odds with how this idea was being flipped, bashed, and morphed about so, had it not been for you to offer this suggestion, I would not have maintained any interest!)

Comment

Working...
                                X