Save The Internet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Save The Internet

Here's a thought.... what would be the intended purpose for this petition? --Honestly, I have to admit that I haven't fully read much of this thread yet, but something definitely caught my attention....
    Some internet providers want to charge a fee to have some websites load faster than others on their networks.
    I've been noticing some pretty interesting things happening all across the web, local newspapers, magazines, blogs, political sites, technology forums and industry news feeds, and just about everywhere else my eyes and ears are, lol. I asked myself, "Why would they (ISP's) consider an idea like this?" I mean, think about it, I am sure that they know very well that they ought to consider many positive/negative impacts of their decisions affecting "who, what, where, and how." I feel that this is a clue that A)a new market is about to emerge (distributed computing? Semantic Web?..any ideas?)<--duh....SERENDIPITY. So the idea is ....IMO...the ISP's have no choice but to let money decide, which means it's then up to the rest of us(the whole world) to decide what really matters the most. >>>For some reason I haven't had a working [ENTER] key or [Del] or [Alt] or [Ctrl] either for about 45minutes, and it's starting to really concern me. Why would I lose my (Ctrl+Alt+Del, and ENTER) keys????? YEAH...you thinking what I'm thinking?<<< anyways, food for thought. good night.
    Robert
    www.GraphXntrix.com
    Your Visual Revolution Solution

Comment

And B)it's not about the rich staying rich...its about global politics, science, religion, humanity, knowledge, and ....what was it that talks, again??? I had to say it. HA!
      Robert
      www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

Robert,

Actually, it's the rich getting richer. If I, as a business person, cannot afford the ISP's cost to promote my business on the internet, then I will lose and the person who can afford the cost will win.

I kind of think of it as the PPC in a way. The cost of some key words have risen out of site because the small business person cannot affort to pay the cost and continue to make a profit on his or her business. So, who's the winner here? It would have to be the big business with the money to pay for services that would drive smaller businesses off the internet.

If you, or anybody, would take the time to read the FAQ or Races' link to Save the Internet, it would possibly answer some questions.
        Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

forgive me, but once again i failed to give acknowledgement to agreement on certain points, but that merely brings me to point out another perfect example of how misinterpreted information can become, or rather lack of interpretation; mainly stemming from my failure to properly express that information as well as my thoughts.

Actually, I expressed my thoughts just as I meant to. There's is more involved than just "business" and perhaps if everyone would see that, then, well, perhaps this wouldn't be an issue at all now....would it?

Yes, there are the "rich-getting-richer" but most are simply "big-getting bigger." Determined to design for "the greater good", they continue to grow and grow and grow. The only opposition are those that refuse to see their goals are one of the same.

"One man's gain, is another man's loss."....so, to those for "the greater good" (gain) would also mean that those not for "the greater good"(loss)

--so I ask myself:

"Why would people "for the greater good" focus so much on what THEY stand to lose?"...They don't. So, does that mean doing so would be something those "not for the greater good" do?

***replace the word "lose" with "gain" and read again.***
          Robert
          www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

You have brought about some good points. I was merely saying that the small business person, whether he or she is doing for the greater good or not, will possibly lose whatever they have gained, in the end, when the larger or bigger start dictating what they want which they have done for years.

The smaller person may be for the "greater good" and still lose without focusing on what they stand to lose or knowing that they lost until it is all over. People who focus on what they stand to lose inherently lose most of the time anyway because they cannot or will not focus on the positive side of what they can gain.

Actually, I have a sense of agreeing with what you say, but fail, sometimes, to put words in the proper perspective.

I would still like to see what the gain would be for the smaller companies if the big companies do what is suggested.
            Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

I just want to say thanks, ace. Your response was just about what i had hoped for it to be... When I wrote my previous reply, I was bordering on the defensive personally which made it difficult for me to "say what needed to be said." -I hope that made sense, LOL. And I don't mean defensive from your earlier reply, it was just the state I was in at that point in time. Anyways, good post ace, thanks again.

as a random side note those who haven't done so yet --
              WAKE UP, open your mind up at least once....AT LEAST ONCE!
              OH, and....just.....let....it....go. PLEASE.
              And remember....THE TRUTH WILL set us ALL FREE.

Robert
              www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert

Just because people have differing views from you doesn't mean they need to "wake up" or "open their minds", and they certainly don't need to "let it go" simply because you've so condescendingly decreed they should.

If you have a problem with the people who support this petition and the movement behind it, you're always free to ignore this thread. If you want to offer counter views, that's fine as well, but don't go around talking to people like they don't know what the hell they're talking about just because they see things differently than you.
                My NASCAR Forum

Comment

So, does this affect Canada? Because lately the U.S government has been wanting to change our laws and we keep dis-agreeing with them, now this?
                  Best regards,
                  Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jeremy
                    So, does this affect Canada? Because lately the U.S government has been wanting to change our laws and we keep dis-agreeing with them, now this?
                    It affects anyone who has a website, Jeremy. The impact would be felt mainly in the US at first as far as the ISP's go, but do you want your site buried behind bigger companies who can buy greater US broadband access than you can?
                    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Well, since I am in Canada and I am hosting with an American company, what if I decided to go with a Canadian company?
                      Best regards,
                      Jeremy

www.cornwall4rent.com

Comment

Well said Race,

It looks like the ending of got a little off the beaten track. I believe everyone has a "right" to their own views and no one should try to "push" their personal veiws on anyone.

Now, if saving the internet program is enough for us to think about---what about the interesting fact the the U.S. government has now passed an internet tax bill that will again affect all of us who sell products or information on the internet.

I really do think that the "big money companies" are pushing to get more and they don't really care if anyone but them get what they want. It goes back to the Walmart vs small business. This country has made a "free enterprise" system so unfree that the little guy has to really put up a big fight to get anywhere. The government surely does not care--all they want is more taxes to waste and to hell with anyone who has any kind of idea how to actually take what they (the government) have and make this country the "free" democratic country they try to push on others. The non-partisan political radicals are ruining this country. And this goes for all parties concerned.
                        Simply Quit - Smoking

Comment

Originally posted by racefan20
                          Just because people have differing views from you doesn't mean they need to "wake up" or "open their minds", and they certainly don't need to "let it go" simply because you've so condescendingly decreed they should.

If you have a problem with the people who support this petition and the movement behind it, you're always free to ignore this thread. If you want to offer counter views, that's fine as well, but don't go around talking to people like they don't know what the hell they're talking about just because they see things differently than you.
                          um..race, i don't have a problem with people who support the petition, nor do i feel anyone seeing anything differently than I do.

Since it is clear that this:

...is what brought about your response, well, I don't know what to say. I made it ambiguatory by stating "those who" which can refer to a semantic AI program..or people; instead of "those that..."

...my intention was of design...serendipity; semantic web; AI; distributed computational networks; awareness; knowledge; answers; etc...

not conflict.

why are you making me out to be the bad person here?
                          Robert
                          www.GraphXntrix.com

Comment

Robert:

Because thats exactly how it came across to me as well.........

We cant just let it go, and if You cant see what is going to be lost then you need to open YOUR eyes.

You used a lot of fancy looking words, and succeded in saying nothing relevant to the issue.
                            Have fun
                            Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
                            Newbies / Beginners Forum
                            FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
                            My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
                            Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Race,
                              Thanks for the information.
                              I have signed, and forwarded.
                              Liz
                              www.sebastopolparty.com
                              www.raynordescendents.com

Ring the bells that still can ring

Comment

Originally posted by ace5548
                                Well said Race,

It looks like the ending of got a little off the beaten track. I believe everyone has a "right" to their own views and no one should try to "push" their personal veiws on anyone.

Now, if saving the internet program is enough for us to think about---what about the interesting fact the the U.S. government has now passed an internet tax bill that will again affect all of us who sell products or information on the internet.

I really do think that the "big money companies" are pushing to get more and they don't really care if anyone but them get what they want. It goes back to the Walmart vs small business. This country has made a "free enterprise" system so unfree that the little guy has to really put up a big fight to get anywhere. The government surely does not care--all they want is more taxes to waste and to hell with anyone who has any kind of idea how to actually take what they (the government) have and make this country the "free" democratic country they try to push on others. The non-partisan political radicals are ruining this country. And this goes for all parties concerned.

It was inevitable that the internet tax would eventually become a reality. I didn't want to see it because I frequently purchase things online to avoid paying sales tax, but that's exactly why it was initiated. Truth be told, it's been in place for a long time, it's just now being reworded to include online sales rather than just phone and mail order, which was its original intent.

It will certainly affect everyone who sells products online because now, not only will you have to collect the sales tax, you'll also have to charge tax based on what state the customer lives in and then send payment to each state.

It'll drive costs up for online stores and many will have to lower their prices to account for the added expenditure on the customer's end so they aren't overpriced.

Free enterprise is anything but that these days and unfortunately, there's no turning back.

The really sad part is that all of us have a voice, but most seldom use it. If people would rise up, en masse, and make themselves heard to their representatives in DC, things might be different. But most people just keep quiet and go with the flow.
                                My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X