Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: blog, text on page, pdf?

Hi chris,

I copied that page so it's in my files now. Just before I read your reply here I was studying navaldesigns page on php. It's pretty clear to me. Tomorrow I'll actually do the menu and download the pdf program from the generous Eye. I'm on dial up in Sweden and ouch! it costs. Tomorrow I'll go to library and have my free wireless. Chris, my e-mail is feufolletgem********.com

Please put a title on the message to give me a hint of what it's about. Bad guys have been after me before.

Peace and thanks to all of you helping here.

Comment

Chris, I didn't see a PM box around here. I noticed part of my e-mail address is blocked out. Let me know here if what you're going to send me is the same as naval design's five point php creator or if it's something else. I'll keep my eye open here.

Comment

Its the one in this link.
        The php page wont copy correctly into BV via the web.
        Regards Chris.

Collectables, Collecting, collectors-info.com

www.chrismorris.co.uk

House build project

Comment

OK Chris, That's the page I already have and am using to study. Thanks for all your effort. You guys are champs. S

Comment

Rather than retype what someone has said in a precious post, just select that post and click on the "quote" icon below each post.

This will then load the text into the message box.................
            you can then add your own message.
            have fun
            Have fun
            Regards..... David

Step by Step Visual Tutorials for the complete beginner
            Newbies / Beginners Forum
            FREE Membership Login Scripts: - Meta Tags Analyzer
            My Social Networking Site - Free Contact Forms
            Finished your New website!! Now get it noticed Here:

Comment

Because of David, Chris, Lady Eye, and Naval Design (others will be thanked again down the line), I've achieved a few accomplishments today, and have a few more questions.

Accomplishments:

1. I downloaded the free pdf converter and seem to understand the instruction manual. I think I'm going to use this to publish installments of the novel to my voda site. Instead of using text pages from the beginning, like David suggested, I could just use pdf from the beginning, not allowing copying or printing, then in future only do a pay per view if that were warrented. Make sense?

Question: I won't worry about page links for each page of the novel on my homepage text menu, correct? On the pdf I'll just have a text menu box linking back to the home, blog, and contact pages, correct? On the pdf should I have a text menu box on each page, or just at the top of the first page?

2. I think I have successfully created Navaldesign's php menu. Since I can't test it accurately until I'm published on the web I'd just like to ask a few questions about my accuracy.

Q. Is it possible to have double spacing between the four text menu items in my menu bar? Just cosmetics.

Q. I made the address of each menu item like so: http://www.electmagi.com/home.html
              should that address have been 'index instead of home? Is the html on the address correct instead of php? I saved the menu page as php.

Q. Navaldesign did not say how to put a html box on the page where the menu bar is going to be. I don't know how to make that.

OK, I'm back to work. Thanks again to all. Shoemaker

Comment

Really thanks again to you guys. One mistake, though. I don't advise making me even a pfc, no how, no way.

Comment

Answers in red as usual.............

Originally posted by shoemaker View Post
                  Because of David, Chris, Lady Eye, and Naval Design (others will be thanked again down the line), I've achieved a few accomplishments today, and have a few more questions.

Accomplishments:

1. I downloaded the free pdf converter and seem to understand the instruction manual. I think I'm going to use this to publish installments of the novel to my voda site. Instead of using text pages from the beginning, like David suggested, I could just use pdf from the beginning, not allowing copying or printing, then in future only do a pay per view if that were warrented. Make sense?

Makes perfect sense, but you had to look at alternatives before you could decide which way was best for you................

Question: I won't worry about page links for each page of the novel on my homepage text menu, correct? On the pdf I'll just have a text menu box linking back to the home, blog, and contact pages, correct? On the pdf should I have a text menu box on each page, or just at the top of the first page?

A pdf is a stand alone, downloadable file, which can be added to week by week............
                  Readers can then download the latest issue of the updated pdf, so you can either have several/chapter pdf's or a single updatable pdf.
                  The single pdf will obviate the need to have any links within your pdf unless
                  you use the tips that I gave you earlier...page Nos, top of page, next page, previous page, content textual link, etc, etc.........You should include a link back to your home page as often as posible.
                  (remember that the reader will be reading your book ON their computer.)

2. I think I have successfully created Navaldesign's php menu. Since I can't test it accurately until I'm published on the web I'd just like to ask a few questions about my accuracy.

You CAN test this out by creating an "Under Construction" page(no links)
                  and publishing those 3/4 items..........

Q. Is it possible to have double spacing between the four text menu items in my menu bar? Just cosmetics.

Q. I made the address of each menu item like so: http://www.electmagi.com/home.html

This should just be http://www.electmagi.com for your home page.....this is your root/index/home page

should that address have been 'index instead of home? Is the html on the address correct instead of php? I saved the menu page as php.

you save your first content page as index (nothing else)
                  and that becomes your home page(http://www.electmagi.com)
                  The other 3 pages, menu, header and footer should be published as php.

Q. Navaldesign did not say how to put a html box on the page where the menu bar is going to be. I don't know how to make that.

select the html box
                  (top left side icon)
                  double click to open
                  copy the code into the html box
                  size and position the box as required

OK, I'm back to work. Thanks again to all. Shoemaker
                  Have fun
                  Regards..... David

Comment

Originally posted by davidundalicia View Post
                    Answers in red as usual.............
                    David, another great report. Getting my title and name correct I'm still drilling, getting the confusion cobwebs out. I'll keep going over all of it.

Once more, can I put more spacing between the menu items or should I just leave it as is?

Is my protocol correct to continue elaborating on this thread, or should I be starting new threads in different sections? Just want to do it right.

Thanks for all.

Comment

Depends on which menu type you use, play around and see what you like best........

Try to open a new thread with a new question in the appropiate section.

see forum jump box at the bottom of this page for a complete list of forums.
                      Have fun
                      Regards..... David

Comment

Hi Shoemaker

Is it possible to have double spacing between the four text menu items in my menu bar? Just cosmetics.
                        Is your menu bar horizontal? Just hit your spacebar once or twice before you type in the name of your menu item. (in the menu properties)

I have a question for you - how did you manage to write over 70,000 words!! Well done!
                        I have a 'book' that seemed to take forever just to get it to 40,000. Getting the next 30 or 40 thousands words written seems an impossibility!

Comment

Hi Sun Chaser,

My menu bar is text (because SE's like it) and it's vertical, to be placed at side of page. I'll fool around with what you said and see if I can get spacing. Thanks.

Oh boy!, on writing. I hope the high command here doesn't mind if I give you a little bla bla on writing here. Somerset-Maugham said there are three ways to write a novel. Then he said that unfortunately no one knows what they are.

I write on a thread over at writersdigest.com in their forum. Get to the forum then the fifth catagory down is called 'tips and advice'. click that. The thread is called 'plot and structure for novelists'. The starter is 'cooltouch'. The thread is four pages long. My handle is 'willy shoemaker'.
                          The question of the thread is whether it's better to use an outline to plan a novel or should one go about it more 'right brain' intuitively, like 'touched by the muse'. You'll find both ideas on the thread. I start writing on page 2. It's the only thread on the site that has generated more than 13,000 hits. Nothing comes near it. I'm happy to talk more with you on writing. Leave a message here if you want. I still haven't found the pm box. If I do I'll send you my e-mail address.

Break a leg, Shoemaker

P.S. I look at a web site and the content that goes into it like a gem stone. It's structured with precision (mainly the mechanics) but the poetics, design, art, can be magic and crazy as radiance.

Comment

The PM box has just found you...............lol
                            Have fun
                            Regards..... David

Comment

Hi David, and thanks for the message. I clicked on the button that says accept, but I didn't do anything else. Hope that was sufficient.

Today I accomplished getting my blog set up at WordPress. Each day in my three hours of free wireless I re-watch the videos. Cramming.

So I can make a form page for my contact, a blog page for my articles, and a story page to link to my novel, but I won't test any of them until I activate my account right? Or did I get that answered already? Scratches head.

Grunts!

Comment

Yes you must open an account before you can publish.....

That could take 2 or 3 days, so build that into your plans.

BTW: you seem to be coming on very well.............go for it.
                                Have fun
                                Regards..... David

Comment

Working...
                                X