Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: message boards

Nish,

If you have a BV "index" page, which is your Main/Home page, and you wish to provide a link from that (or any other) page for visitors to go to your Forum, you must provide a link. It can be a text link, an image that has been hyperlinked, or a button on a Menu - you must simply provide visitors with a mechanism for them to "get there."

Thus, you must enter specific info in the "hyperlink tool" in BV to make this possible, since your Forum resides in it's own directory (which your server sees as if it was a 'sub-domain' or 'directory'), and this requires a link that will look like this:
    www. yourdomainname.com/whateveryoucalledyourforumdirectory

It has nothing to do with a function in your Forum Admin panel, or Forum itself - you simply need to direct traffic by providing the proper linking!
    > Take a look at this concept like this for comparison: if you only had your Forum in your web hosting account, whenever someone would visit your website URL, the Forum Index would automatically present itself. Since php behaves automatically, that is why we "contain" it in a directory (folder) of it's own, so we can control the progress of visitors in our website.....whenever we steer visitors to this Forum Directory, we know the index will automatically present, which is what we want. And, since you can only password-protect a directory, this is also why we set up Forums in separate folders (directory).

This is why we use the term "front-end" for pages created in BV will eventually steer to this directory which contains or Forum. But - you must create links for that to happen!
    Understand?

And, the link above is how you accomplish that....you can see your domain name, and the format to direct to the directory where your forum resides (protected or not...).
    * Note that it shall be the name of your Forum DIRECTORY (folder), and not what you called your actual forum!
    . VodaWebs....Luxury Group
    * Success Is Potential Realized *

Comment

Nish....let me know where you are now, and if you have moved past this issue?

Comment

Vasili, your new post may take me over the next hurdle. I worked very late today and may not get a chance to apply this until tomorrow. I think you just lit a light bulb in my brain.
        Thanks,
        Nish

Comment

Vasili,
          I don't recall actually naming my forum. If I did where would that be found?
          Also, when I do set up the link to the message boards, would the www.yoursitename.com be my main account name or as in this instance, www.addondomainname.com to which this forum is for?
          Thanks,
          Nish

Comment

No....you're all frumpled over this one...what's your URL so I can sort it out for you?

Comment

Evening, General....any thought on the "other" issue?

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
                Evening, General....any thought on the "other" issue?
                Which "other" issue would that be? LOL I'm just happy to see that you've progressed to the point you can help with this stuff. One proud "mentor" here.
                My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Originally posted by racefan20
                  Which "other" issue would that be? LOL I'm just happy to see that you've progressed to the point you can help with this stuff. One proud "mentor" here.
                  Of course, I learned from the Best!
                  "You've Got Mail!"

Comment

Originally posted by Vasili
                    Of course, I learned from the Best!
                    "You've Got Mail!"
                    Read and replied.
                    My NASCAR Forum

Comment

Vasili, my url is www.muralsandmoreart.com. The addon domain that I want to add the forum to is ishmanfishman.com/index.
                      Thanks,
                      Nish

Comment

Can you copy&paste the link to your Forum for me - just like you see it in the browser when you there? (It will tell me where and how you set this up)
                        Then, I can clearly illustrate for you specific linking, and give you just the right direction...

If you want to add the Forum to IshFish, you will need to provide some manner for visitors to get there, right, and this is done by providing a link of some sort. While I wait for you to post your reply, start thinking about setting up either a button, or text on your home page to get this going...

Comment

Vasili,
                          Is this what you may need to know?

Is the path what I need to link to?
                          Thanks
                          Nish

An instance of phpBB2 was installed on http://ishmanfishman.com
                          Full installation path: /home2/muralsa/public_html/ishman
                          Public URL: http://ishmanfishman.com/
                          Admin URL: http://ishmanfishman.com/admin
                          MySQL database: muralsa_phpb1
                          MySQL user: muralsa_phpb1
                          Time of installation: Thursday, 17th August, 2006 @ 09:42:45 PM
                          DO NOT REMOVE the file named fantastico_fileslist.txt from the installation
                          directory. It is used for uninstalling this application.

Comment

Vasili,
                            Does this help?
                            http://ishmanfishman.com/index.php?s...ab6bd3e30487ac

Nish

Comment

Ok, Nish....
                              Apparently, you installed this Forum prior to publishing any BV created page first, right?
                              And, you installed the Forum straight into your public_/html directory, rather than give it a distinct name during set up, right? You named it "muralsandart.com"??? ...or just "murals"???
                              THIS is why it is coming up as THE index of your domain...when it shouldn't....

You're not going to like this....you need to have your Forum properly named so as not to create a conflict with the primary domain name, and to prevent it from mimicing the default "index".
                              Uninstall the Forum (you can do this yourself in your VodaHost Control Panel > Fantastico! > click on phpBB on the left hand column, and it will show you your BB installed....now click on "uninstall"

Re-install the forum...this time name it "forum"....that simple.....(don't worry, you know how to fiddle around with it to reset it the way you had it...maybe even print out the index page to see what you created?)

This way, when it comes time to publish your BV pages, we can link to the forum by writing this link:
                              http://www.ishmanfishman.com/forum

the process of naming "forum" as the new directory you are creating during installation makes this possible....do you see where the problem lay? Apparently, you have Murals and Ishman in the same account, and you've titled your Forum with your Murals entire domain name...you DO want this for Isman, right?

If this is too hard to follow, after unistallation, go back to your VH Control Panel and add a sub-domain to this account...name it "forum".....go back to fantastico, install your board into ishmanfishman.com > forum ....(I am assuming Ishman is the primary VH Account Domain name right? If not, then use the primary name)

Comment

Vasili,
                                My main account is www.muralsandmoreart.com. I have an addon domain called ishmanfishman.com. I want the forum to be for ishman fishman.
                                I will do as you say in your post and try it again from scratch.
                                I'll give you an update at that point.
                                Thank you
                                Nish

Comment

Working...
                                X